HP Visualize won't boot

Hello,

I am having _two_ Visualize stations which get stuck while testing at
boot time:

Visualize C160:
stays forever with the last three LEDs on: 0111 (owner's guide says:
initialization, testing)

Visualize B132L+:
flashes the first LED so it changes between 0000 and 1000 (the LED is
mostly off though, so it looks mostly 0000)

I tried moving cards and memory around, cleaning slots, leaving stuff
out, nothing changed. At least if I'd have an error code...

I don't want to toss the boxes out yet, so I'm open to try anything.

Thanks a lot for any idea,

Hello !

Soterro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having _two_ Visualize stations which get stuck while testing at
> boot time:
>
> Visualize C160:
> stays forever with the last three LEDs on: 0111 (owner's guide says:
> initialization, testing)
>
> Visualize B132L+:
> flashes the first LED so it changes between 0000 and 1000 (the LED is
> mostly off though, so it looks mostly 0000)
>
> I tried moving cards and memory around, cleaning slots, leaving stuff
> out, nothing changed. At least if I'd have an error code...
>
> I don't want to toss the boxes out yet, so I'm open to try anything.
>
> Thanks a lot for any idea,
Have a search on docs.hp.com or itrc.hp.com for the C Class and B Class
owner Guide, there will the errorcodes be reported.
Alternative search at itrc.hp.com and google for the led error codes.

Lars

Lars Bausch wrote:
> Have a search on docs.hp.com or itrc.hp.com for the C Class and B Class
> owner Guide, there will the errorcodes be reported.
> Alternative search at itrc.hp.com and google for the led error codes.

I have the owner guides, and I know what the error codes are:
they say 'initialization, testing' in both cases...
(plus the undefined 0000)

> Visualize C160:
> stays forever with the last three LEDs on: 0111 (owner's guide says:
> initialization, testing)

Are you sure the ram is in the correct slots? A0/B0/etc.

> Visualize B132L+:
> flashes the first LED so it changes between 0000 and 1000 (the LED is
> mostly off though, so it looks mostly 0000)

If this has the two cache ram cards try removing them, very high failure
rate.

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

John Burns wrote:
> Are you sure the ram is in the correct slots? A0/B0/etc.
>
> If this has the two cache ram cards try removing them, very high failure
> rate.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Today both stations booted fine. I have no idea why, I rebooted them
again a few times with no problems anymore on any. If there's a
component _about_ to fail, I still have no idea which one :) (but I'll
keep an eye on the cache cards)

Thanks all,

Soterro <soterroatyahoocom> wrote:
> Today both stations booted fine. I have no idea why, I rebooted them
> again a few times with no problems anymore on any. If there's a
> component _about_ to fail, I still have no idea which one :) (but
> I'll keep an eye on the cache cards)

Both the C160 and B132L+ have entire system boards that slide in and
out of the rest of the chassis. When I was using such systems
regularly, if the "slide in" was not complete, the system would not
boot. Sometimes it took a bit of "oomph" to get the board in all the
way - particularly if the rest of the chassis had bowed any in the
middle or whatnot.

Perhaps with all the opening and closing of the machines you got the
boards seated better.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...