Memory incompatibility

G

Hi

I have an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard with an AMD T-bird 900.

I purchased 12MB of PC133 Cas Latency 3 memory, but with this in, and no other memory, the system did not boot up; instead I got the "beep" diagnostic, which effectively said that the memory was incompatible. With two old PC100 64MB DIMMs instead, the system booted up without problems.

However, I have now tried 3 lots of latency 3 memory, all 128MB DIMMs of PC133, from 2 different suppliers, and the same problem occurs.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is it a board problem? I have been told that Latency 2 memory is difficult to get hold of, but will it solve the problem?

Of course, I should just add that my motherboard has been badly made, with bits falling off it left right and centre, so I shall be replacing it very soon, but the problem may arise again, so I'd love any help!

Thanks

Rich

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well first of all you can't buy 12mb of ram. no such thing ( in factors of 16... example: 16, 32, 64, 128, 256...). Second AMD is very picky with their ram. You can't just get any old memory for it. You need quality ram for it to run stable. hope this helps.

--SR

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Of course, I should just add that my motherboard has been badly made, with bits falling off it left right and centre"

hmmm this should be your first clue.

My local computer shop has told me that abit's quality controll has been of quite a bit as of late, seems they can't keep of with demand I guess. Of 15 boards they recently recieved they had to return 7.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

You may possibly need a bios update. I read their latest two bioses were dealing with some memory incompatibility issues.

For my kt7-Raid, I was getting choppy game performance and it would freeze for seconds at a time. I then put on bios kt7_ww and the problems went away.