Sign in with
Your question

How to select active drives with dual boot system

Last response: in Windows 7
September 18, 2010 8:06:53 PM

Hello All - I'm looking for a utility that will make certain drives/partitions unavailable depending on the OS that you load. For example: if partition 1 is OS 1, partition 2 is OS 2, partition 3 is documents 1, and partition 4 is documents 2… when you load OS 1 the C: drive will be the OS 1 and the D drive will be documents 1… and if you load OS 2 the C: drive will be OS 2 and the D drive will be documents 2… also while in OS 1 you will not have access to OS 2 or documents 2 and vise versa. I’m fairly certain a utility exist for doing just this, but I just can’t seem to find it.

Thanks in advance! - Ben
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 6:21:33 AM

b_c_ said:
Hello All - I'm looking for a utility that will make certain drives/partitions unavailable depending on the OS that you load. For example: if partition 1 is OS 1, partition 2 is OS 2, partition 3 is documents 1, and partition 4 is documents 2… when you load OS 1 the C: drive will be the OS 1 and the D drive will be documents 1… and if you load OS 2 the C: drive will be OS 2 and the D drive will be documents 2… also while in OS 1 you will not have access to OS 2 or documents 2 and vise versa. I’m fairly certain a utility exist for doing just this, but I just can’t seem to find it.

Thanks in advance! - Ben

[#0005ff]It's a bit early here in England but I think you can do this by moving OS1's My Documents folder to Partition Documents 1 and therefore the appropriate setting in OS2. Password protecting each will prevent access even if someone is smart enough to navigate to the "wrong" Partition.[/#000ff]
m
l
September 19, 2010 3:48:52 PM

Hum... Are you saying if I setup a user for OS1 I can set things so that OS1 only has access to Documents 1? How would you go about doing this?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 6:20:43 PM

b_c_ said:
Hum... Are you saying if I setup a user for OS1 I can set things so that OS1 only has access to Documents 1? How would you go about doing this?

I'm saying all users of OS1 would be able to store and therefore find their personal files in the Partition you nominate when you move My Documents to it. I'm a simple soul with simple answers so I may well have misread your problem but it seems to me this fits the bill.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2010 9:13:12 PM

Why not just setup seperate accounts for users and limit their access to folders that you specitfy.

From W7 Help.

"Create a user account

With user accounts, several people can easily share a single computer. Each person can have a separate user account with unique settings and preferences, such as a desktop background or screen saver. User accounts control which files and programs users can access and what types of changes users can make to the computer. Typically, you'll want to create standard accounts for most computer users.

Click to open User Accounts.

Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click Create a new account.

Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account. "

m
l
!