Sign in with
Your question

What's Your Top Three Hardest FPS Games Ever?

Last response: in Video Games
January 23, 2011 6:37:10 AM

Calling all FPS veterans.

What were the absolute hardest single player games out of all the FPS games you've ever played at hardest level difficulty?

A few come to mind for me:

Doom 2 in Nightmare mode (enemies respawn)
I think the only way I ever made it through that was because there were so many monsters spawning in on that last scene, my computer could barely keep up. That slowed down the framerate enough to avoid all the incoming and get those rockets through the hole. And Resurrection of Evil (Doom 3) the last scene took a while too.

Brothers in Arms- Hell's Highway
That game at hardest level gave me a run for the money.

Hexen- Seven Portals
Hard because of puzzles more so than monsters...

NOLF
There were some pretty tough bosses in that game at hardest level...

FPS games just don't seem as hard to me these days... You could put Unreal Tournament in hardest level, and it would keep you on your toes.

So what were some tough ones for you?

More about : top hardest fps games

January 23, 2011 2:31:26 PM

You know what I totally agree with you

FPS these days are basically just interactive movies that play through largely on wheels and offer very little in the way of true to life tactical combat experience

Now take a look at Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Starlingrad

This game is going to be challenging on a much more mature level than all the arcade style multiplayer shooters today.
m
l
January 23, 2011 3:59:48 PM

Operation Flashpoint 1 is very difficult since it's so realistic 1 shot can kill you.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2011 4:41:21 PM

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood is hard as anything on normal, and on the hardest setting good luck beating the first level haha
m
l
January 23, 2011 6:05:45 PM

I may be a noob but I found Farcry and COD MW2 to be quite hard on maximum difficulty.
m
l
January 23, 2011 9:24:47 PM

any of the operation flashpoint games
m
l
January 24, 2011 12:42:03 AM

jefe323 said:
any of the operation flashpoint games

This. Check out the ARMA 2 series and also the Project Reality Mod for BF2. Great, hard games.
m
l
January 24, 2011 12:50:18 PM

swifty_morgan said:
tom clancey vegas.

Yeah my son said that one was pretty hard all in all. I have not played it yet myself.

spi1ke said:
I may be a noob but I found Farcry and COD MW2 to be quite hard on maximum difficulty.

I agree with you on MW2. There was a few areas in that game that just came off as overly cheap in general.
m
l
January 24, 2011 3:53:17 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
on max. difficulty

Doom 3
Farcry
Point du Hoc mission in COD2 (took me like 30 tries)

Yeah, forgot about FarCry2. I had a lot of trouble playing in hard core mode. Stealth/walking came in handy vs the run ( + drive ) and gun mode.
m
l
January 24, 2011 5:06:47 PM

professorprofessorson said:
I agree with you on MW2. There was a few areas in that game that just came off as overly cheap in general.

That's true, but the last part on the plane with the time limit in veteran is freaking hard.
m
l
January 25, 2011 8:56:04 AM

Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Vegas was a hard game like swifty_morgan said. It only had just two difficulty levels.
Others would be:
COD MW2
Doom 2
BFBC2
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:40:07 AM

Mithness said:
Operation Flashpoint 1 is very difficult since it's so realistic 1 shot can kill you.

I see Dragon Rising on steam, so downloading demo for it. Is that the same game, or a sequel? That's one of the few FPS's I hadn't checked out yet- about to though, thanks!
m
l
January 26, 2011 9:10:50 AM

It's a sequel made by a different team. For an infantry simulator (largely FPS) made by the same team as Operation Flashpoint, take a look at ArmA 2 & Operation Arrowhead.
m
l
January 26, 2011 9:18:05 AM

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigter 2 was quite difficult.
m
l
January 26, 2011 9:54:46 AM

Yes to me Operation flashpoint 2 dragon rising sucks play ArmA 2 or even the first it's bassically the same
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:56:23 PM

studioman22 said:

FPS games just don't seem as hard to me these days... You could put Unreal Tournament in hardest level, and it would keep you on your toes.

You obviously haven't played the modern games on hardest level. You die when you get hit 2-3times. That's why you duck and cover, and take out enemies one by one. I suppose this is extremely tedious and fps player like me (who personally like to just run and gun) prefer to put the levels on easy and breeze past the game.

I suppose you are looking for games that do not get repetitive, fast and challenging, i believe?

If you liked UT, then Serious Sam, C&C (the FPS version) are titles you'll have fun playing.

And of course, the Half-life 1 (original and opposing force) are two games worth playing as well on hard mode.

m
l
January 26, 2011 2:32:43 PM

may1 said:
You obviously haven't played the modern games on hardest level.

:lol:  No, YOU obviously haven't played the modern games on hardest. Hey that's cool, but some of us like a challenge.

Every single one of these I have finished in hardest level difficulty- even if it required playing the game over after unlocking it:

ALL COD series
BFBC2
STALKER- CoP
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Crysis
Far Cry 1 and 2
Chronicles of Riddick- EBB and AODA
Bioshock 1 and 2
Call of Juarez- both
FEAR 1 and F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
ALL Brothers in Arms
All MoH
All Orange Box (Half Life, portal, etc.)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
All Duke Nukem
Serious Sam & SS HD
Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2
Doom 1, 2, 3 and RoE
ALL Delta Force
LoS: Vietnam
Deadly Dozen 1 and 2
Requiem: Avenging Angel <-- little known very cool game!
NOLF
All Hexen and Heretic
All Quake
Outlaws
UT99
All Descent
There's more, but also the original Wolfenstein 3D

ROFL, always wanted to make a list of FPS's I have played- still have them all too! :D  This doesn't even include my ventures into all the flight games, and NFS series racing games and NASCAR4, etc. Now there were some WICKED HARD races in NFS at hardest. :ouch: 
m
l
January 26, 2011 6:02:41 PM

Oblivion or like Fallout 3/NV on hardest difficulty is just retarded hard (atleast to me)
m
l
January 27, 2011 5:20:04 AM

Quake 3 arena single player mode was challenging for me.. That was my 1st fps I beat on every difficulty. I had to repeat some of the end boss a # of times. Taught me how to be evasive. And predict where to shoot.

Halo ce on legendary was a lesson.. I had to make head shots a save ammo if I hoped to survive. But the recharging health made it easier than it could of been.

Obivion I agree is impossible (and pointless) on full difficulty
m
l
January 27, 2011 5:41:48 AM

rainbow 6 vegas 2 is almost impossible on hardest difficulty, also mirrors edge ( trying to be creative)
m
l
January 27, 2011 8:57:09 PM

I Always thought that Half Life 1 was pretty hard. But thats just me.
m
l
January 29, 2011 12:34:44 PM

Yeah, Half Life at hardest was no joke.

Right now I'm doing a bit of catching up since I got this new "Little Beast" rig. I'm playing Fallout 3: GOTY edition at the "Very Hard" setting- with everything maxed out of course. So far the second fight in the "hole" (Pitt) against the brothers was pretty rough, but just made it- an opening volley of 5 frag grenades softened them up just enough to finish it with the combat shotgun.

To me that was harder than the third fight. Now I got the big guns (finally!) and am getting ready to reign terror on the Wasteland. :D  Ammo's tough to come by though and everything takes max hit points to kill. This game is like Bioshock and Stalker combined. Very cool. I'm just a level 6 so far though, so I have a ways to go.

I went through the Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising demo at hardest with no trouble at all. I am probably gonna pass on the full game.

One thing seems to be consistent among FPS games at hardest- you must save the most powerful weapons for the most powerful enemies and conserve ammo bigtime.
m
l
January 29, 2011 4:19:54 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Fallout 3 tip. Bring up the console with a tilde "~" then type "advlevel" it helps a bit. :) 

Thanks, but I'll get my level up the old fashioned way: I'll earn it. ;) 
m
l
February 3, 2011 9:31:04 AM

Might not seem like much to you guys,
but the level in CoD:WaW where you and Reznov were attempting to kill the sniper across the street.

That, on Veteran, was the single and most frustrating moment of my life.
m
l
February 3, 2011 10:15:37 AM

Doom 1 on nightmare
m
l
February 3, 2011 1:34:23 PM

Anyone find Serious Sam 2 hard to beat?
m
l
February 11, 2011 3:56:26 PM

My top 3:
1) cod:waw was hard on the heart level. (The gernades of doom.)
2) cod 1 on the battle ship was hard on vet.
3) Fear 1

I like RTS games better, but fps are good too.
m
l
February 11, 2011 4:04:04 PM

Quote:
FEAR was easy

GOD ------> Poltergeist--------->Ammo

Easy as pie

It was hard becuase it was so hard to see in that game. That and I am not the best at fps.
m
l
February 12, 2011 1:59:05 PM

Metro2033... because I refused to turn down the graphics from max and tried to play it with ~15fps (then I just refused to play it :p ).

Lets see:
Quake 2 hardest difficulty no deaths: that was an old challenge between me and a friend, first to get through the game like that, well, wins. Hard due to the multiple insta-death platforming sequences here and there, as well as some nasty enemies. Ammo actually becomes scarce too. It was really quite an interesting thing to do - I found that I was burst firing my machine gun or even using single shots, felts more like a tactical shooter than quake 2 :p .

Other than that self imposed difficulty ARMA2 and Operation Flashpoint are difficult, however AI issues do impose difficulty due to broken game rather than difficulty due to difficult game. None the less fun. (I haven't played either in patched states, so I don't know if it improved).

SystemShock 2 - I kid you not, I find that game insanely hard. Although it's not technically a fps.

Serious Sam - ... I don't want to talk about this game

Descent - I never had a clue in hell where I was going. Didn't help.

For those having issues with Oblivion and FO3, it's just a question of getting a hang of how the gameplay works. I didn't struggle with Oblivion as I knew the gameplay from Morrowing, and before that Daggerfall, however the combat isn't very fluent, or nice. It's not hard when you understand how to play, and realise that it's not a balance gamed at all, but once you're past that and on the overpowered route it's easy.

FO3 on the other hand is just a strange game in my opinion, it took me a long time to 'get the hang of it', but once I figured it out on a lower difficulty jacking up the difficulty slider didn't make much of a difference.

STALKER - much like my comment on FO3 above, stalker isn't that hard once you know what to do, but until you do, it's hard.

I'm not sure how anyone could find FEAR hard, it was boring-ly easy (fear 2 even worse, I really had to push myself to finish it... just for the sake of finishing it). Similarly Crysis really isn't hard on Delta, atleast it's not if you're the con-confrontational sneaking type. Riddick is a fantastic game, but once again, not very hard imo, the hardest part is brawling the first boss I think, took me ages to kill him, once that was done it wasn't hard so long as you were smart with the stealth and the environment.
m
l
February 12, 2011 7:35:00 PM

Wampbit, nice reply.

Speaking of brawling, there is a particular scene in Mafia II where on one adventure you have to fist fight three dudes in a row- who get progressively tougher. And the mission is time limited with your damage accruing across the three fights- meaning you got to face the toughest dude with the least health left. You have to win the three fights with enough time still left to drive, near perfectly, to the safe zone. At hardest level difficulty that was most definitely a bitch. Only way I made it was being really agressive in the fights, swinging and dodging constantly, never letting up to finish them as fast as possible. Several times I finished the fights only to end up getting killed by the cops on the drive back as you desperately race your way back to beat the clock but instead get chased down by the law. :fou:  But that's my kind of fun. :D 
m
l
February 13, 2011 5:58:40 AM

doom1, and 2 on nightmare, and wolfenstein 3d so hard, ;P
m
l
February 13, 2011 8:25:15 PM

studioman22 said:
Calling all FPS veterans.

What were the absolute hardest single player games out of all the FPS games you've ever played at hardest level difficulty?

A few come to mind for me:

Doom 2 in Nightmare mode (enemies respawn)
I think the only way I ever made it through that was because there were so many monsters spawning in on that last scene, my computer could barely keep up. That slowed down the framerate enough to avoid all the incoming and get those rockets through the hole. And Resurrection of Evil (Doom 3) the last scene took a while too.

Brothers in Arms- Hell's Highway
That game at hardest level gave me a run for the money.

Hexen- Seven Portals
Hard because of puzzles more so than monsters...

NOLF
There were some pretty tough bosses in that game at hardest level...

Buy any game of 90's end...you'll find them hard enough.
m
l
February 15, 2011 6:15:05 AM

to me its Doom3 in nightmare mode.
Quake 3 arena in nightmare mode.
(cant think of a 3 one xD )

i can see BIA games are mentioned here. i cant agree since i have played all of them in the hardest levels. (if you cant use the squads given effectively and follow the basic principle of fire & move + suppress and flank attack u better stop playing BIA.)
Splinter cell games are not FPS but Role play game and its not difficult to play in hardest mode.
m
l
February 15, 2011 1:55:49 PM

Okay, just finished playing bioshock 2. It was a hard game. I Didn't play it on Hard though!
m
l
!