Doom 3 - Brightness & Linux

I just installed D3 on my Linux box - everything works and runs
smoothly, but unfortunately the game is unplayable because of this
brightness thing:
I need to adjust brightness and contrast (because of this problem with
LCDs displaying dark color shades kinda weirdly). I can use the
nvidia_settings utility, but the problem is, Doom 3 overrides these
settings and the r_brightness setting doesn't really help, because it
actually adjusts image intensity, not brightness (it multiplies instead
of adding).

Is there a workaround for this problem? Perhaps a setting which tells
Doom not to tinker with the gamma tables?

Lukas Hosek

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:13:00 +0200, Lukas Hosek wrote:

> Is there a workaround for this problem? Perhaps a setting which tells
> Doom not to tinker with the gamma tables?

I have found that setting "r_gamma 1.3" in the console makes things look
pretty good for me (default is 1.0).

Linux Registered User #327951

Lukas Hosek wrote:
> I just installed D3 on my Linux box - everything works and runs
> smoothly, but unfortunately the game is unplayable because of this
> brightness thing:
> I need to adjust brightness and contrast (because of this problem with
> LCDs displaying dark color shades kinda weirdly). I can use the
> nvidia_settings utility, but the problem is, Doom 3 overrides these
> settings and the r_brightness setting doesn't really help, because it
> actually adjusts image intensity, not brightness (it multiplies instead
> of adding).
>
> Is there a workaround for this problem? Perhaps a setting which tells
> Doom not to tinker with the gamma tables?
>
> Lukas Hosek
Thanks for all the help, but I have already found the solution:

1. run nvidia_settings and adjust the color correction
2. Instead of just doom3 run

(sleep 10; nvidia_settings -l) &
doom3

Lukas Hosek

graeme

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:13:00 +0200, Lukas Hosek wrote:

> I just installed D3 on my Linux box - everything works and runs
> smoothly, but unfortunately the game is unplayable because of this
> brightness thing:
> I need to adjust brightness and contrast (because of this problem with
> LCDs displaying dark color shades kinda weirdly). I can use the
> nvidia_settings utility, but the problem is, Doom 3 overrides these
> settings and the r_brightness setting doesn't really help, because it
> actually adjusts image intensity, not brightness (it multiplies instead
> of adding).
>
> Is there a workaround for this problem? Perhaps a setting which tells
> Doom not to tinker with the gamma tables?
>
> Lukas Hosek

xgamma -gamma 2.0
doom3
xgamma -gamma 1.0