find the nearest wireless access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 16, 2004 12:46:08 PM

Hi all,

Here I will tell in detail about my *problem*. In my project I
created one application which basically used to find out the access
points near the user who downloaded my application from the internet.

This application is for those who carry wireless devices like laptops
etc.What I want to do is to first find out the physical location of the
access point the user connected to may be through ZIP code or somewhat
like that.Then finding out the nearest AP the user is in I have to
locate all the access points within 200 miles from this AP.

By this I will automatically give all the AP information to the
user.Also this is usefull bcos when user is moving to some other
location he can get the APs information automatically.

So suggest me whether I need an API of what type for this or How can I
make it programmatically.Reply.

jiten

--
jiten dash
a b F Wireless

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:46:08 GMT, jiten dash
<jiten.dash.1ft5gy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>Here I will tell in detail about my *problem*. In my project I
>created one application which basically used to find out the access
>points near the user who downloaded my application from the internet.

Is this a class project or skool project?

>This application is for those who carry wireless devices like laptops
>etc.What I want to do is to first find out the physical location of the
>access point the user connected to may be through ZIP code or somewhat
>like that.Then finding out the nearest AP the user is in I have to
>locate all the access points within 200 miles from this AP.

Access points do not move. Clients move. Therefore, all that would
be necessary is a database of access points and their location. These
can be found in various hot-spot locators on the web or you can make
your own using Netstumbler and a GPS. There is mapping and data
conversion software available.

http://www2.musatcha.com/musatcha/computers/software/wi...
It's fairly rough, but seems to work.

http://www.sonar-security.com/sv.html
Uses MS MapPoint 2004 to display maps.

http://www.honet.com/WiMap/
WiMap converts Netstumbler maps into Delorme Street Atlas or DeLorme
MapSource maps.

http://www.dmzs.com/tools/files/wireless.phtml
Converts to Terraserver aerial photo maps.

Please note that no matter what system you use, you're displaying YOUR
location, not that of the access point. If you pickup a signal from
far away, you'll have a large potential area in which the access point
might be located. Such sniffing is full of errors.

>By this I will automatically give all the AP information to the
>user.

"Give" is a dirty word. That implies push technology which shoves
information at the user or into his laptop when not desired. I
suggest you rephrase your project definition into something where the
user requests, or polls for information.

>Also this is usefull bcos when user is moving to some other
>location he can get the APs information automatically.

That's roughly what "wireless mobile IP" is suppose to do.
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~jain/refs/wir_refs.htm
The IEEE is still working on a standard for wireless roaming and
mobile IP.

>So suggest me whether I need an API of what type for this or How can I
>make it programmatically.Reply.
>jiten

An API is an application programming interface. In other words, a
collection of libraries necessary to impliment some specific
application. I can't really tell what your assignment or project
actually requires as your project definition is rather vague and
excessively broad. (I'm also the worlds worst programmist).

You might be interested in reading RFC3825.
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3825.txt
Basically, it pre-loads the Lat-Long and altitude (or floor number) in
the access point. When a user associates, it delivers the location
info the users computer. When they call 911 using a VoIP phone, the
location info is forwarded to the PSAP (public safety answering
point). If Netstumbler can add a feature to convince the wireless
router to disgourge the required info, the maps might be more useful.
It would be interesting to impliment this technology into common
access points as part of the DHCP server, and supply AP location
information without a GPS or sniffing.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
!