File size limitation

gvolgas

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
I am currently using Windows 98SE for my home system. I have two registered versions of 98 running on two separate computers, but have run into a problem trying to burn home videos to DvD. Windows 98 and FAT32 apparently cannot recognize a file that is over 2 Gb. This limits the size of my movies.
Question: DOes Windows 2000 allow larger files?
Can I install Windows 2000 on two home machines, both connected to the internet through my lan? What I mean of course, is without buying two licenses?
For that matter, can I do that with Windows XP?
I am not trying to do anything illegal, but I have heard different opinions from different people, and it would seem that Microsoft might allow this for personal use.

In lieu of that, and in lieu of buying 2 separate licenses, can a Windows 2000 or XP machine talk through a network to a Windows 98 machine? Will my son and I be able to play networked games through the home LAN?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Win2k and XP can use NTFS instead of FAT32, I believe the NTFS limit is 8gb. You would have to buy a win2k or xp licence. An update licence would cost a lot less than a regular licence if you want to go that route.
All windows operating systems can communicate with eachother on a network.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

who buys operating systems / lisences?

WAREZ IS THE WAY FORWARD! :lol:

gvolgas

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Thanks folken. So the other half of the question is whether or not Microsoft will allow two home computers to be set up under the same home license or whether I will have to buy two licenses for my two home computers.
I really don't mind buying 1 more operating system, but not so sure that buying two is worth the effort.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You might be able to, just buy one and find out :)
I ohnestly have never owned a regular licence for any windows os so I don't know what it does, lol. Everyone speaks of that crazy registration stuff and needing to register within 60 days and such. I didn't even see that on my IBM Thinkpad. I guess that is why these thinkpads cost so much, they put a volume windows licence on em, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>