100 Million Facebook Profiles Hit the Torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now the only thing on the news for the next 2 weeks will be fools moaning to reporters about Facebook privacy and how they were too dumb to change privacy settings.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I got the list and compared it to a .csv export of my friends list. I'm proud to say that not one of my friends showed up on the list.

/scripted it in vb.net

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]kkoray[/nom]this is bullshit news. liars learn and make news. 2.8gb packages has only first name and last name nothing else. it is just name database. 100 million bundles together bullshit. who cares about just a name file.[/citation]

It wasn't just a name list. There was also a 10 GB file with all the URL's to their accounts. Sense you know their privacy settings are set low, you can use to URL's to mine their data.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No Microsoft and ATi?
Wait, does that mean that, unlike Apple and Nvidia, they actually make good products instead of spending all their time on marketing? :)

The lack of privacy anywhere scares me. Whether it be online or in the streets, and some times in my very own home.
Privacy is a RIGHT, damned marketing groups (and a few select abusive local police) should learn that already.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I downloaded it, too, just to see if I was in it but the sheer size of those text files is huge. And that's all it really is. Text Files. I haven't looked at all of them but I think one text file is full of URLs to non-private profiles. So this isn't anything really major, just something the media can have fun with spinning it into a story.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Privacy is a RIGHT, damned marketing groups (and a few select abusive local police) should learn that already.[/citation]
Yes, privacy is a right, but you forfeit that right when you allow anyone with an internet connection to view your profile.

It's not illegal since they didn't obtain the information illegally. Like others have said, if you have a public profile, you deserve this.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Good luck with my private info I could care less. My credit score is below 600, I have a paid off 2004 model truck, rent a house, everything else I own was paid for with cash. I have no credit cards,a good paying job,my taxes are paid up, two kids, a registered Republican and I have a married girlfriend. What else you want to know. Who gives a shi*. Dumb A** media will run with anything.[/citation]
So you are a 100% douchebag? Good to know. I hope her husband trolls your account and finds your dumb ass.

BadKharmaCDN

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
i am begining to wonder how much longer it is really going to take for the majority of people who use the internet with their "REAL" personal information to realize that "nothing" on "any" www. website has the slightest chance of being private. only a small amount of peer pressure is all that it takes for most of the population to completely expose themselves on these child-like social pages/networks. i feel sorry for those who don't have the sense to say "no thanks" to these web sites.

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
This could not be more overblown and less relevant to anything. Has anyone ever visited the whitepages site, or ussearch, peoplefinder, etc... There are a ton of sites out there that serve no purpose other then collecting and releasing private information on individuals - facebook mining is pretty irrelevant in comparison.

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I used to work at chicago title, part of the job was running background checks on the ppl before we issued policy's. Everyone saying that they are safe from such things because they don't use social networking - think again. I could pull up way more information than I care to list here on any random amish dude who has never touched a PC in their lives. Birth records, property records, tax records, criminal records, credit records, job history, travel records, who your relatives are, this is all public information that anyone can obtain if they really want to - no SS needed either - all a SS would do is turn a 99.99% chance that your looking up the right person to 100%. If your seriously worried about privacy regarding anything posted on a site like facebook, wake up - there is a ton more information already out there that is way more private then anything you would post on such a site - and it's not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.