Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New nVidia Drivers enable triple buffering for OpenGL

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 21, 2005 10:47:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_e...

In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the net.

I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 22, 2005 5:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:3yHDe.1518$Fk4.220@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_e...
>
> In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
> you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
> buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
> net.
> I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.

Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
McG.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 22, 2005 7:16:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On 7/21/2005 6:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>news:3yHDe.1518$Fk4.220@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com
>
>
>>ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_e...
>>
>>In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
>>you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
>>buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
>>net.
>>I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.
>>
>>
>
>Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
>didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
>McG.
>
>
>
>
Well, it makes VSync not have so much of a performance hit.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2005 2:48:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:HyZDe.1813$Fk4.252@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com
> On 7/21/2005 6:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>> news:3yHDe.1518$Fk4.220@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com
>>
>>
>>> ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_e...
>>>
>>> In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the
>>> CP you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
>>> buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
>>> net.
>>> I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
>> didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
>> McG.
>>
>>
>>
>>
> Well, it makes VSync not have so much of a performance hit.

And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
McG.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2005 3:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>
>And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
>will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
>McG.
>
>
>
>
My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
the time never really noticed any tearing.
So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option for
OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm happy again.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2005 3:48:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:XTeEe.5982$_%4.3416@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com
> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>>
>> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
>> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
>> McG.
>>
>>
>>
>>
> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
> the time never really noticed any tearing.
> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
> more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
> it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
> for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
> happy again.

I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They still
don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow, they
added something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the overlay.
But the 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with triple
buffering and VSync on for once :)  Always like a prettier picture!

I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110. The Sammy has
an 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or games. It
has one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see. Otherwise
perfect. With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and shadowing
big time. 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it. 930B has dual
inputs, good color matching software, full software controls as well as
on the monitor controls, and built in power supply. It really is a nice
one.
McG.
McG.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2005 7:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p BfEe.2885$X76.1028@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> news:XTeEe.5982$_%4.3416@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com
>> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>>
>>>
>>> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
>>> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
>>> McG.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
>> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
>> the time never really noticed any tearing.
>> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
>> more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
>> it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
>> for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
>> happy again.
>
> I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They still
> don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow, they added
> something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the overlay. But the
> 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
> Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with triple
> buffering and VSync on for once :)  Always like a prettier picture!
>
> I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110. The Sammy has an
> 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or games. It has
> one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see. Otherwise perfect.
> With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and shadowing big time.
> 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it. 930B has dual inputs, good
> color matching software, full software controls as well as on the monitor
> controls, and built in power supply. It really is a nice one.
> McG.
> McG.
>

Are these beta? Main dowlnload page still offering 77.72.


Bob
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 24, 2005 12:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
news:nswEe.46523$rb6.6644@lakeread07
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p BfEe.2885$X76.1028@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>> news:XTeEe.5982$_%4.3416@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com
>>> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME
>>>> games will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
>>>> McG.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
>>> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost
>>> all the time never really noticed any tearing.
>>> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes
>>> vsync more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon
>>> let me do it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple
>>> buffering option for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this
>>> driver release, I'm happy again.
>>
>> I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They
>> still don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow,
>> they added something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the
>> overlay. But the 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
>> Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with
>> triple buffering and VSync on for once :)  Always like a prettier
>> picture! I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110.
>> The Sammy
>> has an 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or
>> games. It has one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see.
>> Otherwise perfect. With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and
>> shadowing big time. 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it.
>> 930B has dual inputs, good color matching software, full software
>> controls as well as on the monitor controls, and built in power
>> supply. It really is a nice one. McG.
>> McG.
>>
>
> Are these beta? Main dowlnload page still offering 77.72.
>
>
> Bob

yeah, the 77.76 set is still in WHQL testing. So they're beta. The
NZone link from Nvidias site gets the beta page and driver. Oh, the
OP's link gets it direct.
McG.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 25, 2005 5:37:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
news:XTeEe.5982$_%4.3416@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com
> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>>
>> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
>> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
>> McG.
>>
>>
>>
>>
> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
> the time never really noticed any tearing.
> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
> more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
> it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
> for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
> happy again.

Well how do you see it Steve? I installed the 77.76 set. and there is
nothing in the cp for either DirectX or OpenGL at all. The TaskApplet
has the usual choices, including for custom OGL and DX settings but
these are empty. After installing this set, I noted a near empty
looking CP, so I merged the coolbits2 tweak. Got more options in the cp
but still nothing for OGL or DX and no 'games manager'.
McG.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 25, 2005 7:53:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On 7/24/2005 6:37 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>
>Well how do you see it Steve? I installed the 77.76 set. and there is
>nothing in the cp for either DirectX or OpenGL at all. The TaskApplet
>has the usual choices, including for custom OGL and DX settings but
>these are empty. After installing this set, I noted a near empty
>looking CP, so I merged the coolbits2 tweak. Got more options in the cp
>but still nothing for OGL or DX and no 'games manager'.
>McG.
>
>
>
>
See:
http://www.inglostadt.com/triplebuff.jpg
Performance & Quality Settings

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
!