New nVidia Drivers enable triple buffering for OpenGL

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_english.exe

In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the net.

I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
9 answers Last reply
More about nvidia drivers enable triple buffering opengl
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_english.exe
    >
    > In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
    > you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
    > buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
    > net.
    > I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.

    Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
    didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
    McG.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 7/21/2005 6:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    >

    >>ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_english.exe
    >>
    >>In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the CP
    >>you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
    >>buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
    >>net.
    >>I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.
    >>

    >Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
    >didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
    >McG.

    Well, it makes VSync not have so much of a performance hit.

    --
    "I don't feel tardy"

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 7/21/2005 6:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >
    >> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.76/77.76_win2kxp_english.exe
    >>>
    >>> In the advanced settings of Performance and Quality settings of the
    >>> CP you can force triple buffering on. If you don't know what triple
    >>> buffering is go read the million and half articles about it on the
    >>> net.
    >>> I've been waiting for this ever since I got my 6800.
    >>>

    >> Ah, right. I know some things have been missing in the CP settings,
    >> didn't realize that one was. Now to see what it does in the games!
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Well, it makes VSync not have so much of a performance hit.

    And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
    will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
    McG.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
    >will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
    >McG.

    My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
    hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
    the time never really noticed any tearing.
    So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
    more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
    it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option for
    OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm happy again.

    --
    "I don't feel tardy"

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >

    >> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
    >> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
    >> McG.
    >>

    > My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
    > hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
    > the time never really noticed any tearing.
    > So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
    > more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
    > it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
    > for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
    > happy again.

    I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They still
    don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow, they
    added something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the overlay.
    But the 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
    Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with triple
    buffering and VSync on for once :) Always like a prettier picture!

    I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110. The Sammy has
    an 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or games. It
    has one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see. Otherwise
    perfect. With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and shadowing
    big time. 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it. 930B has dual
    inputs, good color matching software, full software controls as well as
    on the monitor controls, and built in power supply. It really is a nice
    one.
    McG.
    McG.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    >> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >>

    >>> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
    >>> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
    >> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
    >> the time never really noticed any tearing.
    >> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
    >> more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
    >> it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
    >> for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
    >> happy again.
    >
    > I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They still
    > don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow, they added
    > something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the overlay. But the
    > 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
    > Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with triple
    > buffering and VSync on for once :) Always like a prettier picture!
    >
    > I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110. The Sammy has an
    > 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or games. It has
    > one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see. Otherwise perfect.
    > With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and shadowing big time.
    > 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it. 930B has dual inputs, good
    > color matching software, full software controls as well as on the monitor
    > controls, and built in power supply. It really is a nice one.
    > McG.
    > McG.

    Are these beta? Main dowlnload page still offering 77.72.

    Bob
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    >>> On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >>> My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
    >>> hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost
    >>> all the time never really noticed any tearing.
    >>> So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes
    >>> vsync more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon
    >>> let me do it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple
    >>> buffering option for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this
    >>> driver release, I'm happy again.
    >>
    >> I have the 77.76 set running, and do note some of the fixes. They
    >> still don't have the color completely right with this set. Somehow,
    >> they added something that changed/broke the color accuracy in the
    >> overlay. But the 77.76 is a LOT better than the 77.72 set.
    >> Will look at Doom3, LOMAC, IL2/Aces/PF and HL2 and try this with
    >> triple buffering and VSync on for once :) Always like a prettier
    >> picture! I picked up a Samsung 930B to replace the Envision 9110.
    >> The Sammy
    >> has an 8ms response time that shows me NO shadowing in movies or
    >> games. It has one dark sub pixel that I have to look for to see.
    >> Otherwise perfect. With the EN9110 I had to put up with ghosting and
    >> shadowing big time. 24ms response time. Finally got tired of it.
    >> 930B has dual inputs, good color matching software, full software
    >> controls as well as on the monitor controls, and built in power
    >> supply. It really is a nice one. McG.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Are these beta? Main dowlnload page still offering 77.72.
    >

    > Bob

    yeah, the 77.76 set is still in WHQL testing. So they're beta. The
    NZone link from Nvidias site gets the beta page and driver. Oh, the
    OP's link gets it direct.
    McG.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 7/22/2005 3:48 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >

    >> And we want VSync on for why? I turn it off. I hear that SOME games
    >> will show texture tearing on some systems if VSync is off?
    >> McG.
    >>

    > My eyes + my monitor require vsync to always be on, tearing bugs the
    > hell out of me. My eyes + my old monitor, I had vsync off almost all
    > the time never really noticed any tearing.
    > So now I like having it on all the time, triple buffering makes vsync
    > more palatable. The other big reason is that my old Radeon let me do
    > it, I was happy, I switched to a GeForce, no triple buffering option
    > for OpenGL, I'm sad. nVidia adds it in this driver release, I'm
    > happy again.

    Well how do you see it Steve? I installed the 77.76 set. and there is
    nothing in the cp for either DirectX or OpenGL at all. The TaskApplet
    has the usual choices, including for custom OGL and DX settings but
    these are empty. After installing this set, I noted a near empty
    looking CP, so I merged the coolbits2 tweak. Got more options in the cp
    but still nothing for OGL or DX and no 'games manager'.
    McG.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 7/24/2005 6:37 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >Well how do you see it Steve? I installed the 77.76 set. and there is
    >nothing in the cp for either DirectX or OpenGL at all. The TaskApplet
    >has the usual choices, including for custom OGL and DX settings but
    >these are empty. After installing this set, I noted a near empty
    >looking CP, so I merged the coolbits2 tweak. Got more options in the cp
    >but still nothing for OGL or DX and no 'games manager'.
    >McG.

    See:
    http://www.inglostadt.com/triplebuff.jpg
    Performance & Quality Settings