Best Verizon Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
October 1, 2004 1:06:07 AM

Hello,
My 2 year contract is up so now I get to pick out a new phone and get
$100 credit toward the new phone.

The wife and I both want a new phone. She now has the V60 and I have
the T720.

My phone cost more but I think her phone was better. Stay connected
more, higher bars always then my phone, battery lasted alot longer
then my phone.

Now we are both looking for flip phone with camera, long battery and
good connections, maybe speaker phone also.

So what is the best verizon phone out there now. And does any of them
let you load your own ring tone or does all of verizon phone have to
use get now.

Thanks for inputs

More about : verizon phone

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 3:57:56 AM

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:06:07 -0400, news-60.giganews.com <> wrote:

>My phone cost more but I think her phone was better. Stay connected
>more, higher bars always then my phone, battery lasted alot longer
>then my phone.

You must understand that comparing the number of bars between phones
is not a reliable indicator. The best indicator is your ability to
make and maintain a connection, which you addressed.

>Now we are both looking for flip phone with camera, long battery and
>good connections, maybe speaker phone also.

You do realize some of these features conflict. Usually, camera =
color phone = faster battery drain. Whatever phone you decide to
purchase, make sure an extended capacity battery is available for that
model. You will likely have to purchase it separately. I don't
recall seeing extended capacity batteries included with any new
phones.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 11:44:01 PM

news-60.giganews.com wrote:
> So what is the best verizon phone out there now. And does any of them
> let you load your own ring tone or does all of verizon phone have to
> use get now.

If you have a choice between the LG VX6000 and VX7000 make sure you
go with the earlier phone (VX6000). Don't touch Audiovox phones.
I don't have any experience with Kyocera or Samsung.

Roger
October 2, 2004 9:26:43 AM

Roger Binns wrote:
> news-60.giganews.com wrote:
>> So what is the best verizon phone out there now. And does any of them
>> let you load your own ring tone or does all of verizon phone have to
>> use get now.
>
> If you have a choice between the LG VX6000 and VX7000 make sure you
> go with the earlier phone (VX6000). Don't touch Audiovox phones.
> I don't have any experience with Kyocera or Samsung.
>
> Roger

What's your experience with JAPANESE Audiovox phones?

I've had an Audiovox 9155 for close to two years .... but I'll reserve that
experience pending your reply. :-)

--

-Philip
Anonymous

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> news-60.giganews.com wrote:
> > So what is the best verizon phone out there now. And does any of them
> > let you load your own ring tone or does all of verizon phone have to
> > use get now.
>
> If you have a choice between the LG VX6000 and VX7000 make sure you
> go with the earlier phone (VX6000). Don't touch Audiovox phones.
> I don't have any experience with Kyocera or Samsung.
>
> Roger

Not in my opinion. Hubby has the 6000 and I have the 7000. I've used both
over the past few weeks and like the 7000 (at least from a user and not
BITPIM god standpoint LOL). The new Audiovox is supposedly better because
it's made in Japan (and possibly a rebranded Toshiba I think I read). Still
wouldn't go for it although they are practically giving it away for the next
week and a half even without a contract...

--
JennL
Anonymous

Philip wrote:
> What's your experience with JAPANESE Audiovox phones?

The only one of those I used was the Audiovox Thera which I
was led to believe is a rebranded Toshiba. That was a heap
of junk internally.

My issue with Audiovox phones is not the hardware itself,
but rather the lack of quality and functionality and
various stunts they pull in the firmware.

Roger
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 1:55:18 PM

ModernMiko wrote:
> Not in my opinion. Hubby has the 6000 and I have the 7000. I've used
> both over the past few weeks and like the 7000 (at least from a user
> and not BITPIM god standpoint LOL).

These are the enhancements of the VX7000 over the VX6000:

- reduced the amount of memory by 1/3rd
- bigger, boxier
- 15 second video clips with audio
- Severely crippled the phonebook
- flash (doesn't look particularly effective and may only work for a
foot or two)
- outside colour screen that you can put images on
- Changed the ergonomics of the keypad control buttons for the worse\
- More stupid animations
- More menus to help you buy stuff using GIN
- Rearranged menus to move some stuff even deeper into hierarchy

For me, crippling the phonebook is a big deal. As an example they
removed the memo field (amongst many others). There is now no place
to store an address for some people, which is what I use the memo
field for.

And from a pure aesthetics point of view, the VX7000 is quite possibly
the ugliest phone I have seen :-) (Think of it as the Honda Element/
Toyota Scion styling in a phone).

> The new Audiovox is supposedly
> better because it's made in Japan (and possibly a rebranded Toshiba I
> think I read).

That has been true of a lot of Audiovox stuff. The problem is that
Audiovox does really bad things with the phone firmware which they
would still have to do to customise it for Verizon.

Roger
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:03:51 PM

"ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
[...]
> BITPIM god standpoint LOL). The new Audiovox is supposedly better because
> it's made in Japan (and possibly a rebranded Toshiba I think I read).
> Still
> wouldn't go for it although they are practically giving it away for the
> next
> week and a half even without a contract...

Can you tell me which phone you're talking about? I just signed a contract
for a free phone and would really prefer no contract of course. I'm still
in the 15 days and can't tell what you're talking about. Audiovox CDM9900
on verizonwireless.com says 49.99 with 2 year contract, afaict.
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 8:19:03 PM

"wlcna" <wlcna@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "ModernMiko" <modernmiko@NOverizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > BITPIM god standpoint LOL). The new Audiovox is supposedly better
because
> > it's made in Japan (and possibly a rebranded Toshiba I think I read).
> > Still
> > wouldn't go for it although they are practically giving it away for the
> > next
> > week and a half even without a contract...
> >

> Can you tell me which phone you're talking about? I just signed a
contract
> for a free phone and would really prefer no contract of course. I'm still
> in the 15 days and can't tell what you're talking about. Audiovox CDM9900
> on verizonwireless.com says 49.99 with 2 year contract, afaict.

Yes. The Audiovox 9900. 49.99 w/ 2 yr, 99.99 w/1 yr, and 149.99 w/o
contract. It's not free at 150 but it's the cheapest you are going to see a
brand new phone from Verizon w/o contract. I think the 8910 is also at this
price. The LG VX7000 is 349.99 w/o contract IIRC (I got mine for upgrade -
NE2 and instant rebate so I paid 79.99). However, from what I understand
(which could be wrong), you have to already have service to buy a new phone
w/o contract. In other words, you can't just walk into a Verizon store and
leave with a phone without attaching it to a Verizon Wireless number. For
instance, although I am not eligible for upgrade price now, I could still
walk into a VZW store and buy the phone for the full retail price (which is
149.99 until Oct 11) if I wanted to do so. If I am wrong about that, I am
sure someone will tell you.

--
JennL
Anonymous

> ModernMiko wrote:
> > Not in my opinion. Hubby has the 6000 and I have the 7000. I've used
> > both over the past few weeks and like the 7000 (at least from a user
> > and not BITPIM god standpoint LOL).
>
> These are the enhancements of the VX7000 over the VX6000:

I guess each to his/her own. For kicks, I'll address your points...

> - reduced the amount of memory by 1/3rd

Not a power user of the memory so I've never had to worry about running out.
I've got all of my phonebook entries, a couple of vids, a few pics, and some
ringers u/l w/ cable and QPST. Still have room if I needed it.

> - bigger, boxier

I like this. Easier for me to handle the phone. It's really just a bit
longer and more rectangular.

> - 15 second video clips with audio

Kind of neat but not really too useful.

> - Severely crippled the phonebook

Doesn't affect me. I didn't use the memo field. The phonebook handles way
more entries than I need, can put mult #s (cell, home, work) per entry and
can put email. If I need an address, I use my Palm or pull it up on the Palm
software on the computer if need be.

> - flash (doesn't look particularly effective and may only work for a
> foot or two)

Don't worry about that too much. It's a flash on a camera phone. Most of the
pics I take are more for a spur of the moment thing. I have a good digital
camera for the rest.

> - outside colour screen that you can put images on

Nice. I took a pic with the camera and use that on my screen and also a diff
pic for the inside screen. I just wish the outside screen didn't blank out.
It's only a minor inconvenience to push the button though.

> - Changed the ergonomics of the keypad control buttons for the worse\

I don't agree with that. No worse than the 6000...maybe not quite as nice as
the 4400....

> - More stupid animations

Easy to ignore. Able to take off if they really bother you. The flashing
disco lights can be annoying if you have it in silent mode and are at work
because anyone around you can easily see those lights...

> - More menus to help you buy stuff using GIN

I ignore

> - Rearranged menus to move some stuff even deeper into hierarchy

Took a little getting used to but I like it better now.

> For me, crippling the phonebook is a big deal. As an example they
> removed the memo field (amongst many others). There is now no place
> to store an address for some people, which is what I use the memo
> field for.
>
> And from a pure aesthetics point of view, the VX7000 is quite possibly
> the ugliest phone I have seen :-) (Think of it as the Honda Element/
> Toyota Scion styling in a phone).

Goodness, not the Scion...no no no. I'll give you the Element maybe LOL. I
like the looks of it. It's not the most beautiful phone but it also doesn't
look like you'd break it by breathing on it. Also, the battery life has been
phenomenal on this phone, the RF about as good as 4400 (which did very well
for me even in my fairly often rural excursions) and I am not missing analog
so far although I was leery of giving it up, and it doesn't have the outside
manner mode button. The last one doesn't really matter to me as I only had
it depressed by accident about twice in the year and a half I was using the
4400 or 4400B. I know my husband had problems with it and others in forums
mentioned it. He still has it happen on the 6000 occasionally.

> > The new Audiovox is supposedly
> > better because it's made in Japan (and possibly a rebranded Toshiba I
> > think I read).
>
> That has been true of a lot of Audiovox stuff. The problem is that
> Audiovox does really bad things with the phone firmware which they
> would still have to do to customise it for Verizon.
>
> Roger

Hence why I am not rushing out to buy one. Plus I am completely happy with
the 7000. I somewhat considered it as at 150, it's about the same price as 2
yrs of insurance + deductible if I were to lose this phone. However I still
have a perfectly functioning 4400 as a backup although my husband managed to
destroy his...

--
JennL
Anonymous

ModernMiko wrote:
> "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
>> - Severely crippled the phonebook
>
> Doesn't affect me. I didn't use the memo field. The phonebook handles
> way more entries than I need, can put mult #s (cell, home, work) per
> entry and can put email. If I need an address, I use my Palm or pull
> it up on the Palm software on the computer if need be.

Note that it isn't the number of entries but that they removed many fields
and restrained others. For example they halved the number of phone number
types. So whereas previous phones had a type for 'pager', the VX7000
doesn't. Or if you have two fax numbers for someone, then tough.

The memo field is generally useful for memos. For some people I put
addresses, for others I put the code for the gate on their road etc.
It is a quick convenient way of storing a little bit of extra information
about someone. For a user that never has any need to store any
extra information about anyone ever then it is no big deal.
But everyone I know always has little pieces of information
they do want to store. Having to use a seperate device (eg Palm)
is a real pain.

>> - Changed the ergonomics of the keypad control buttons for the
>> worse\
>
> I don't agree with that. No worse than the 6000...maybe not quite as
> nice as the 4400....

They made the buttons flush with the surround which makes it harder
to operate them and harder to ensure you are correctly pressing
the button if you have reasonable sized fingers. Also by moving
the CLR button, they made left hand vs right hand operation different.

> Also, the battery life has been phenomenal on this phone,

I presume part of their motivation for the boxy look was to make
the battery bigger by not having curves etc.

> phone. However I still have a perfectly functioning 4400 as a backup
> although my husband managed to destroy his...

I am somewhat fortunate in having 7 phones on my desk, all of which
could be used. Despite all that choice, I still stick to the 4400
which I think LG did a good job on (by accident).

Roger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:54:51 AM

Roger Binns wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>> What's your experience with JAPANESE Audiovox phones?
>
> The only one of those I used was the Audiovox Thera which I
> was led to believe is a rebranded Toshiba. That was a heap
> of junk internally.
>
> My issue with Audiovox phones is not the hardware itself,
> but rather the lack of quality and functionality and
> various stunts they pull in the firmware.
>
> Roger

" That was a heap of junk internally."
"lack of quality and functionality and various stunts they pull in the
firmware."

Sorry but, I don't follow any of this. Do you take phones apart and grade
them for solder joints? "Stunts in firmware?" What does ANY of this mean
to an end user like me who cares only how well the phone fills my bill?
--

-Philip
Anonymous

Philip wrote:
> Sorry but, I don't follow any of this. Do you take phones apart and
> grade them for solder joints? "Stunts in firmware?" What does ANY
> of this mean to an end user like me who cares only how well the phone
> fills my bill?

I am the main author of BitPim which means I get to see how the internal
filesystem is organised and send stuff via the synchronization protocols.
Additionally I have many phones available to me so I can easily compare
them.

It is *extremely* trivial to render the CDM8900 inoperable through
various operations. The phone firmware makes no checks at all. In
most cases I can't even begin to figure how they did some stuff so
badly. (If the programmers ever worked for me, they would be out
so quickly). The phonebook is also very constrained such as very limited
fields, and a total of 3 user editable groups (and another 4 they force
on you).

For the Audiovox Thera, they took the Sierra Wireless cellular chipset
and made a modified version, and then made a modified version of the
Watcher software, and then modified PocketPC. The consequences of all
this is that you cannot access the cellular side of the device from
user programs, which you could do if they hadn't made modified versions
of all the components.

Roger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:06:16 PM

<snip>

>I am somewhat fortunate in having 7 phones on my desk, all of which
>could be used. Despite all that choice, I still stick to the 4400
>which I think LG did a good job on (by accident).
>
>Roger

I have, and like, the 4400. Using it as a benchmark, what other
phones do you recommend?

BTW, thanks for the PitPim software, it is great!

SloPe
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:59:08 PM

Slope wrote:
> I have, and like, the 4400. Using it as a benchmark, what other
> phones do you recommend?

None. If you must have a camera then the VX6000 is ok. I don't have
any Kyocera or Samsung phones so I don't know what they are like
yet.

Roger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 7:25:52 PM

Roger Binns wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>> Sorry but, I don't follow any of this. Do you take phones apart and
>> grade them for solder joints? "Stunts in firmware?" What does ANY
>> of this mean to an end user like me who cares only how well the phone
>> fills my bill?
>
> I am the main author of BitPim which means I get to see how the
> internal filesystem is organised and send stuff via the
> synchronization protocols. Additionally I have many phones available
> to me so I can easily compare them.
>
> It is *extremely* trivial to render the CDM8900 inoperable through
> various operations. The phone firmware makes no checks at all. In
> most cases I can't even begin to figure how they did some stuff so
> badly. (If the programmers ever worked for me, they would be out
> so quickly). The phonebook is also very constrained such as very
> limited fields, and a total of 3 user editable groups (and another 4
> they force on you).
>
> For the Audiovox Thera, they took the Sierra Wireless cellular chipset
> and made a modified version, and then made a modified version of the
> Watcher software, and then modified PocketPC. The consequences of all
> this is that you cannot access the cellular side of the device from
> user programs, which you could do if they hadn't made modified
> versions of all the components.
>
> Roger

First, let me thank you for your considered response on an 'end user' level.
Discussions I've read that evolved into the arcane workings of cellular
devices makes my eyes glaze over because after all the criticisms and
praises have been aired ... what does all that mean when I pick up the phone
to make a call, make an address book entry, or generate a text message?
Regarding the Audiovox CDM8900, does it take some deliberate chicken dance
to disable the phone or is this likely to happen inadvertently during normal
operation of the phone? Is this phone a rebadged Japanese Toshiba product
or somthing else? At the present, I'm warming up to the new CDM 9900.
--

-Philip
Anonymous

Philip wrote:
> Regarding the Audiovox CDM8900, does it
> take some deliberate chicken dance to disable the phone or is this
> likely to happen inadvertently during normal operation of the phone?

It is trivially possible via the sync protocols. The sync protocols
are also not very good (for example they make it impossible to
tell the difference between a new phonebook entry and a changed
phonebook entry). All the sync products including BitPim come with
no warranty so you are theoretically SOL if anything happens, although
VZW will give you a replacement phone most of the time.

I'd imagine that it would be fairly easy for Brew programs to disable
the phone as well. The problem is that the phone software does no
checking on any values, and if something is wrong even by one will
tend to lockup including not even booting.

> Is this phone a rebadged Japanese Toshiba product or somthing else?
> At the present, I'm warming up to the new CDM 9900.

The base CDM8900 was designed by Curitel. I am told that the VX6000
and CDM8900 actually share exactly the same circuit board.

The thing about Audiovox is that they are not an engineering company.
They are a marketing company that takes other products and then slap
their own name on it. The products always look good in terms of
feature tickboxes, but behind the scenes aren't.

Roger
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 2:18:28 AM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:25:52 GMT, "Philip"
<1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Roger Binns wrote:
>> Philip wrote:
>>> Sorry but, I don't follow any of this. Do you take phones apart and
>>> grade them for solder joints? "Stunts in firmware?" What does ANY
>>> of this mean to an end user like me who cares only how well the phone
>>> fills my bill?
>>
>> I am the main author of BitPim which means I get to see how the
>> internal filesystem is organised and send stuff via the
>> synchronization protocols. Additionally I have many phones available
>> to me so I can easily compare them.
>>
>> It is *extremely* trivial to render the CDM8900 inoperable through
>> various operations. The phone firmware makes no checks at all. In
>> most cases I can't even begin to figure how they did some stuff so
>> badly. (If the programmers ever worked for me, they would be out
>> so quickly). The phonebook is also very constrained such as very
>> limited fields, and a total of 3 user editable groups (and another 4
>> they force on you).
>>
>> For the Audiovox Thera, they took the Sierra Wireless cellular chipset
>> and made a modified version, and then made a modified version of the
>> Watcher software, and then modified PocketPC. The consequences of all
>> this is that you cannot access the cellular side of the device from
>> user programs, which you could do if they hadn't made modified
>> versions of all the components.
>>
>> Roger
>

>First, let me thank you for your considered response on an 'end user' level.
>Discussions I've read that evolved into the arcane workings of cellular
>devices makes my eyes glaze over because after all the criticisms and
>praises have been aired ... what does all that mean when I pick up the phone
>to make a call, make an address book entry, or generate a text message?
>Regarding the Audiovox CDM8900, does it take some deliberate chicken dance
>to disable the phone or is this likely to happen inadvertently during normal
>operation of the phone? Is this phone a rebadged Japanese Toshiba product
>or somthing else? At the present, I'm warming up to the new CDM 9900.

Philip,

Here's an answer from a plain old lowly enduser.
I bought the 9900 Friday for full retail. At first I didn't like it
but it is beginning to grow on me

The speaker phone works well. Well enough to use in a car. Everyone I
ask when I'm on the speaker phone says I sound good.

The RF is equal to my LG VX6000 but not as good as my motorola V60i

I really don't care too much for the general looks and included wall
paper. The screen is excellent indoors but not nearly as good as the
VX6000 was outdoors in bright sunlight. There are a lot of features
that can be customized. The outside screen is nice but it reverts to a
half screen in idle mode. Kind of strange but everthing seems to be
geared for increased battery life. The battery charge lasts a little
longer than my VX6000. The included travel charger is great. The
plugs fold and it is very small.The camera seems a little better than
the 6000 but I haven't really used it yet. Can't wait to take some
pictures just so I don't have to use the wallpaper. BTW you can set
the screen to not use any wallpaper

I like the fact that it is tri mode, has an extendable antenna, has a
good speakerphone earpiece quality, and voice dialing.

I might not have bought it at full price but for $149 it is well worth
it. I intend to keep it.

As I said before it's kind of growing on me. The more I use it the
more I like it.

Hope this helps
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:30:26 AM

Teddeli wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:25:52 GMT, "Philip"
> <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> First, let me thank you for your considered response on an 'end
>> user' level. Discussions I've read that evolved into the arcane
>> workings of cellular devices makes my eyes glaze over because after
>> all the criticisms and praises have been aired ... what does all
>> that mean when I pick up the phone to make a call, make an address
>> book entry, or generate a text message? Regarding the Audiovox
>> CDM8900, does it take some deliberate chicken dance to disable the
>> phone or is this likely to happen inadvertently during normal
>> operation of the phone? Is this phone a rebadged Japanese Toshiba
>> product or somthing else? At the present, I'm warming up to the
>> new CDM 9900.
>
> Philip,
>
> Here's an answer from a plain old lowly enduser.
> I bought the 9900 Friday for full retail. At first I didn't like it
> but it is beginning to grow on me
>
> The speaker phone works well. Well enough to use in a car. Everyone I
> ask when I'm on the speaker phone says I sound good.
>
> The RF is equal to my LG VX6000 but not as good as my motorola V60i
>
> I really don't care too much for the general looks and included wall
> paper. The screen is excellent indoors but not nearly as good as the
> VX6000 was outdoors in bright sunlight. There are a lot of features
> that can be customized. The outside screen is nice but it reverts to a
> half screen in idle mode. Kind of strange but everthing seems to be
> geared for increased battery life. The battery charge lasts a little
> longer than my VX6000. The included travel charger is great. The
> plugs fold and it is very small.The camera seems a little better than
> the 6000 but I haven't really used it yet. Can't wait to take some
> pictures just so I don't have to use the wallpaper. BTW you can set
> the screen to not use any wallpaper
>
> I like the fact that it is tri mode, has an extendable antenna, has a
> good speakerphone earpiece quality, and voice dialing.
>
> I might not have bought it at full price but for $149 it is well worth
> it. I intend to keep it.
>
> As I said before it's kind of growing on me. The more I use it the
> more I like it.
>
> Hope this helps

Teddeli: Thank you for that friendly 'user' response! You answered some
questions raised while handling a 9900 this morning at my local VZW store.
I knew not of the re-orderable menuing system, nor the affect of bright
sunlight on the screen. If I were opening a new 2yr contract, the phone
would cost $49. But as is, my contract is actually completed in late
January but ... VZW will allow another two year renewal with new phone
allowance this coming November 25. So for the next fifty three days, I just
need to simmer down and hope the current price is not increased to the point
of offsetting the NewEveryTwo allowance I'll soon be eligible for.
--

-Philip
Anonymous

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:30:26 GMT, "Philip"
<1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Teddeli: Thank you for that friendly 'user' response! You answered some
>questions raised while handling a 9900 this morning at my local VZW store.
>I knew not of the re-orderable menuing system, nor the affect of bright
>sunlight on the screen. If I were opening a new 2yr contract, the phone
>would cost $49. But as is, my contract is actually completed in late
>January but ... VZW will allow another two year renewal with new phone
>allowance this coming November 25. So for the next fifty three days, I just
>need to simmer down and hope the current price is not increased to the point
>of offsetting the NewEveryTwo allowance I'll soon be eligible for.

The current price promotion on the 9900 ends on Oct 11. At that time
it will revert to the full price what ever that might be.

By the time you are ready for a new phone there may be new models out.
The Lg VX 8000 for one might be a good choice.
!