VPN INFO

Hey guys, I need a little info regarding VPN. I'm not sure if this is
possible, but here goes. My current setup is:

OS: Windows XP Pro
PC: Compaq Notebook (Presario 2110US)
Router: Netgear WGR614v1 (wireless disabled / router mode)
AP: D-Link DI-624 (AP mode)
Card: Netgear WG511T

Is it possible to communicate via VPN between my notebook and my AP?
Does VPN even work in that manner? If so, how can I set it up? My AP
is connected via ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of my router.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about info

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:50:30 GMT, Doug Jamal <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com>
    wrote:

    >Hey guys, I need a little info regarding VPN. I'm not sure if this is
    >possible, but here goes. My current setup is:
    >
    >OS: Windows XP Pro
    >PC: Compaq Notebook (Presario 2110US)
    >Router: Netgear WGR614v1 (wireless disabled / router mode)
    >AP: D-Link DI-624 (AP mode)
    >Card: Netgear WG511T
    >
    >Is it possible to communicate via VPN between my notebook and my AP?
    >Does VPN even work in that manner? If so, how can I set it up? My AP
    >is connected via ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of my router.
    >Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Not with what you have in the way of equipment. Your Windoze XP Pro
    can easily act as an IPSec client, but there's no place to terminate
    the VPN tunnel. You would need to replace your Netgear WGR614v1
    router, with another router capeable of terminating a VPN. You
    already have a wireless access point so there's no need to replace the
    DI-624. Possible replacements are:
    Linksys BEFVP41
    DLink DI-804HV, DFL-80, DFL-300
    There are others.

    In my never humble opinion, this is the right way to play wireless,
    but there seems to be very little interest in using VPN's in this way
    from the various manufactories of cheap boxes. Colubris, Sonicwall,
    and some others, have been pushing VPN over wireless for quite a
    while, but not Netgear, Linksys, or DLink. Note that a VPN tunnel
    will exact a rather large 50% preformance hit while WEP/WPA typical
    eat only 15-20%, which may explain their disinterest.

    Also, there's no reason to disable the wireless part of the WGR614v1
    just to use the DI-624 as an access point. Turn it back on. Set the
    SSID to be the same as the DI-614, but use a different non-overlapping
    channel (1, 6, or 11). Also, turn ON the DHCP server. In the DI-624,
    turn OFF the DHCP server.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Doug Jamal <bishiv6AT@yahoodot.com> wrote:
    > Router: Netgear WGR614v1 (wireless disabled / router mode)

    > Is it possible to communicate via VPN between my notebook and my AP?
    > Does VPN even work in that manner? If so, how can I set it up? My AP
    > is connected via ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of my router.
    > Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Some routers have VPN endpoint listed as a feature.
    Several of the SMC routers do. I don't see any NetGear.
    Be careful that they offer a VPN server, and not just VPN tunnelling.

    $8.88 per month at http://www.hotspotvpn.com/ for the VPN solution, plus
    whatever connectivity you provide via some other source. This connects you
    from your laptop to their server via VPN. not useful for connecting to
    other devices on your network, but good for gurading your wireless data.

    --
    ---

    Jeff, you are indeed Da Man! :) Thanks for the reply. The information
    you provided was very informative. I do have yet another question,
    though. What is the benefit of having the wireless enabled on my
    WGR614v1 while using the wireless features of my DI-624? The DI-624, in
    conjunction with my WG511T, will cover all areas of my home without any
    problems. In reference to disabling he DHCP feature in my DI-624, I did
    that when I decided to use the DI-624 as an access point only. Anyway,
    I'm always willing to learn so go ahead, my friend, and teach. (laugh)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:29:38 GMT, Doug Jamal <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com>
    wrote:

    >Jeff, you are indeed Da Man! :) Thanks for the reply. The information
    >you provided was very informative. I do have yet another question,
    >though.

    Groan(tm).

    >What is the benefit of having the wireless enabled on my
    >WGR614v1 while using the wireless features of my DI-624? The DI-624, in
    >conjunction with my WG511T, will cover all areas of my home without any
    >problems.

    None really if you have sufficient coverage with one radio. However,
    if you live in a two story building (like me), or like to sit on a
    large stump while surfing the web (like me), or are into sharing the
    connection with the neighbors (like me), or find such exercises in
    configuration interesting (like me), you might wanna turn on both
    radios.

    >In reference to disabling he DHCP feature in my DI-624, I did
    >that when I decided to use the DI-624 as an access point only. Anyway,
    >I'm always willing to learn so go ahead, my friend, and teach. (laugh)

    I'm still a fan of seperate DSL/cable modem, seperate router, and
    seperate wireless access point(s). Think of it as component stereo
    verus all-in-one conglomeration.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Wireless Routers vpn Wireless Networking