Really could use some help w/a7v

G

Alright..I'm a newbie..there I've said it!!But I sure need some knowledgeable help.I just put together my first system
consisting of:
A7v Rev.102
TBIRD 1000
256 Megs Ram 1stick
Gigabyte Video Card AGP Nvidia chip
7200 rpm IBM 30GIG Deskstar
Used an older atx case I had on hand..Micron full tower.But
I swapped out the PS for a new 300 watt.
Settings are all at the factory defaults...no ready to O/C
just yet.I have suffered so damn many freezeups...mostly in
IE5.5 that I'm ready to pull my hair out.
Running ME,Bios is 1004D
Right now ALL settings are to default.What have I done wrong??Is reformatting the only way out??PCI mass storage does not show up in device manager...If anyone can shed some
light and give a newbie a little..No make that a lot of help
I would be appreciative.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The fix for me in IE 5.5 was to turn of Smooth Scrolling.

Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck Use Smooth Scrolling.

It worked on my old system. [I'm not using 5.5 on my present system because A) I only had 5.0x on disk and 5.5 is a d*mn active upgrade and B) That lockup problem in 5.5]

Seriously, that tip did work for me. It's easy to try.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My A7V would lock up on web pages with moving graphics.
The fix? Chang the “System Performance Setting” to “normal”.
This made my A7V rock stable.
The better fix? Yes my system was stable but I knew I wasn’t getting all the performance I could so I upgraded to BIOS 1005C. Then I was able to run “System Performance Setting” on “optimal” with no loss of stability. And when I say stability I mean 2 weeks playing games and SETI with no reboots.
Hope this helps.
Cya

Zenthar

Distinguished
I had a similar issue, but with anything related to HD writing. Each time it was writing to disks my system would freeze then start again. When I updated my BIOS to 1005 (or over) it updated the Promise ATA-100 BIOS and solved the problem.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you install the VIA drivers from the original Asus disc that came with the board? It sounds to me like you may have skipped that part and just installed ones downloaded from the internet. Put on the VIA drivers from the VIA disc please.

G

Same problem here for 1 and a half months until bios 1005a came out. Then everything was ok. I'm now running 1005c and it works great.