ATI Beats Nvidia in GPU Shipment Battle in Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
If ATI continues to fight and win the battle of price/performance, they may very well be on their way back to the top (in my opinion, they already are). They just need to keep their eyes on the GF104.

halodude23

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
guys, what if ati does something bad like steve jobs did with the iphone4, ever thought of that possibility, if they don't do anything reckless then the company will dominate =D, I do love Ati myself, and nvidia used to be faster than ati but still more expensive

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
It's a damn shame, the Fermi architecture had potential if it wasn't plagued with delay after delay. It should have been out 6 months ago, at the latest. ATI had a solid 6 months to let their DX11 cards soak into the market, and they held the longest "Fastest GPU" status for a good while. Usually nVidia stripped that within a month or two every time ATI released their new card by throwing out an "Ultra" version.

Hopefully nVidia pulls a rabbit and makes up for this quickly as AMD/ATI is already in the works set for a 6xxx series by the end of the year or early early next.

G

nvidia better than AMD if you use adobe cs5 in yor production pipline

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]It's a damn shame, the Fermi architecture had potential if it wasn't plagued with delay after delay. It should have been out 6 months ago, at the latest. ATI had a solid 6 months to let their DX11 cards soak into the market, and they held the longest "Fastest GPU" status for a good while. Usually nVidia stripped that within a month or two every time ATI released their new card by throwing out an "Ultra" version.Hopefully nVidia pulls a rabbit out of their ass and makes up for this quickly as AMD/ATI is already in the works set for a 6xxx series by the end of the year or early early next.[/citation]

The Fermi is a complete failure. The low end GPU is the same size as the 5870, but performs much worse, and costs a lot less. That's a failed designed. It's not the price they sell it at that makes it successful or not, in this context, it's the price they can make it for. ATI can sell a chip that costs the same (roughly) for a lot more, or can sell a much cheaper to make GPU for the same. That's complete dominance. That's where you want to be. That's where Intel is with AMD processors.

NVIDIA might be in a death spiral now, but it's probably a little too soon. Their revenues are shrinking, their opportunities diminishing (with the chipset business), and their market position quickly evaporating. They still have enough money to design a next generation, but if that's also a failure, which is all NVIDIA has been able to produce for some years now, it could be the beginning of the end for NVIDIA.

Give ATI their due, they are just marching to a faster beat. On top of that, they seem to have a much better idea of what works within a transistor budget, and have been much quicker in introducing newer technologies. Put them altogether, and you get news like this, and the news we got a few days ago about NVIDIA's revenue being much lower than predicted.

G

nvidia currently hold the price/performance crown with the 460 two of these in SLI is currently faster than the 480 and cheaper.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
IMO, the worst thing that can happen to PC gaming is for Nvidia to go under. Without another high end card manufacturer to keep some competition in the market ATI will have no reason to lower prices or increase performance. As much as I like ATI, I hope this does not signal the beginning of the end for Nvidia.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Nvidia sell the 460 at bargain price to give a sensation "of having something". That's the nvidia that likes to sell gpu's for skyrocket prices every generation they can.

HD6000 midrange (HD6700) with more power than a GTX480 comes in the next 2 months. It will have lower prices than current 5850/5870. To compete Nvidia will need to lower again prices of his gpu's.

Fermi G100 was a failure, they spend more money to release the patched ones based on G104/105/106. TSMC's 28nm goes to late 2011. GlobalFoundries probably way earlier, right for HD6870 and the HD7000 series.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
And with Apple using AMD for GPUs for their Desktop and notebook systems, ATI will be gaining millions of more users.

As someone stated... the GF-460's GPU is actually a bit bigger than ATI's 5870 CPU, but performs between the ATI 5830~5850 (but closer to the 50). It would be VERY VERY easy for ATI to drop the price of the 5850 down to $200~$225 with would destroy Nvidia's best GPU - the GF460!

ATI can drop that hammer any time... and Nvidia shouldn't be killed by the Fermi Failure. Did the HD-2000 series kill ATI? Those cards came out after the 8800GTX/GTs cards - they were just as expensive, super hot but were easily slower. ALL ATI had to do (and they did) was sell competitive 3000 series at the right price.

As long as Nvidia continues to play games with people... stupid names, etc - I don't want to deal with them. GTX / GT, etc - all that doesn't matter... that what model numbers are for. Is there going to be a "Geforce GTX 420"? The model numbers never conflict. So GTX, GTX, GT and G are all useless. And the 460-768 is so much slower, it should be a 455 or 450 instead.

- - - -
The 6000 series will be using the 40nm process... But I expect a 6x00 mid-range thant will experiment with the 28nm process when the time is ready.

mccarlson

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Nvidia simply got bad press on it's Fermi engineering samples. I have a Zotac GTX 480AMP! edition card and if that was the card used as the engineering sample I'm pretty sure Nvidia would have beat out ATI last quarter. Besides, the GTX 460 wasn't out yet either and two of those in SLI are 33% faster than the ATI 5870 at a lower price point! Nvidia will win in Q3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS