Dual Athlon MoBo with DDR

G

Hi,

I'm going to be building a machine soon, but I'm waiting for something. It is a Dual Athlon Motherboard which supports DDR RAM, Does anyone have any rough ideas as to how long it would take for that to be released?

Thanks.

G

Second Quater, I thought I heard. Or around march what ever quater that fulls under. Might wait for it my self if I can't find an AT to buy!

Take Care.

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

G

Damn! I thought it would be released sooner than that! What a bummer. I've been saving up some money and I am planning to build a proper monster of a machine!

base specs will be.

Dual Athlon 1.2 GHz
1/2 GB (512 MB) DDR 266 RAM
Not the most top of the range GeForce2 but maybe the one below it.

Do you think that would kick ass?

Anyway I was just saying dual Athlon, but I didn't specify Thunderbird.

What's faster, Thunderbird (which I think has 256 onboard cache) or Athlon with 512k cache can you explain the difference? Or is there different types of thunderbird and different types of Athlon? I noticed that Athlon Thunderbirds are cheaper than Athlons.

Thanks.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you don't need to say thunderbird. ANy new board for the athlon is either duron or thunderbird. DOn't make the old ones anymore, although u can still buy 'em.
thunderbird has 128 AND 256 kb's of on die cache (L1 anad L2, both run at cpu speed)

old athlon had l2 cache off chip (i think it was l2..i forget) 512 kb running at 1/3,1/2 or 2/3 chip speed (i think those are the speeds) so cache not as fast.

plus all the old athlon's are slot design, while new tb's are socket 462 (socket a).

G

Not sure but you will have to get a version C which ever one you do get.

Your system will be a little better then mine. But I'm getting someone else to pay for mine.

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

G

Oh OK thanks for that info!

I'll be back with more questions soon :)

Thanks guys.

G

Do you think because the dual athlon motherboards are quite new and haven't been around as long as the dual Pentium motherboards, that there will be problems/bugs with a dual athlon system??

G

...you'll see plenty of posts here if people have problems when the mobos do finally come out :O)

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>