How to Clear Lifetime Timer on V60i

Last response: in Network Providers
October 1, 2004 7:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?

Thanks.

- ESJ
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 7:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Begin E Jones quote:

; Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?

Doubtful. That's the timer that tells the user and/or tech services
how much the phone has been used. Lifetime timers are generally
specifically not resettable for the same reason the odometer on your
car is not resettable.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"This administration is doing everything we can to end the stalemate in
an efficient way. We're making the right decisions to bring the
solution to an end." - George W. Bush, Washington DC, Apr 10, 2001
October 1, 2004 8:21:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
wrote:

>Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?

What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a used
car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that there's
not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what you
are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!

October 1, 2004 11:11:31 PM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, E Jones wrote:

> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - ESJ

Not without re-flashing the phone's firmware.
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 2:08:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Now why would you want to do that?? The answer is no, but I am suspicious
of anyone desiring to do so..

"E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - ESJ

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 9:26:44 AM

Joseph wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i
>> (CDMA)?
>
> What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a used
> car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that there's
> not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what you
> are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!

AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours would
diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL Lemme see
(looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how many hours I've
logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22 months. Whatever!
--

-Philip
October 2, 2004 10:42:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:26:44 GMT, "Philip"
<1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Joseph wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i
>>> (CDMA)?
>>
>> What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a used
>> car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that there's
>> not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what you
>> are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

>AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours would
>diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL Lemme see
>(looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how many hours I've
>logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22 months. Whatever!

In other words you have no qualms ethically if you had the ability you
would roll back the lifetimer or roll back an odometer on a car, eh?
The "whatever" may be important to someone who doesn't particularly
want a unit that's been used to death. That's what the "whatever" is.
Or perhaps you don't think honesty is important?
October 2, 2004 10:42:31 AM

"Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o _q7d.673$UP1.195@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Joseph wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i
> >> (CDMA)?
> >
> > What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a used
> > car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that there's
> > not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what you
> > are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours would
> diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL Lemme see
> (looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how many hours I've
> logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22 months. Whatever!
> --
>
> -Philip

No but it would make a phone look more appealing to a buyer on Ebay...

--
JennL
Anonymous

ModernMiko wrote:
> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o _q7d.673$UP1.195@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a
>>> used car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that
>>> there's
>>> not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what
>>> you are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>> AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours
>> would diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL
>> Lemme see (looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how
>> many hours I've logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22
>> months. Whatever! --
>>
>> -Philip
>
> No but it would make a phone look more appealing to a buyer on Ebay...

Think about the mortality curve. Lots of failures in the first 5% of a
device's life and then a sharp decrease. An "experienced" device has
survived the most failure prone period of its life expectancy.
--

-Philip
Anonymous

Joseph wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:26:44 GMT, "Philip"
> <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a
>>> used car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that
>>> there's
>>> not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what
>>> you are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>> AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours
>> would diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL
>> Lemme see (looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how
>> many hours I've logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22
>> months. Whatever!
>

> In other words you have no qualms ethically if you had the ability you
> would roll back the lifetimer or roll back an odometer on a car, eh?
> The "whatever" may be important to someone who doesn't particularly
> want a unit that's been used to death. That's what the "whatever" is.
> Or perhaps you don't think honesty is important?

That may be your inference but such is not reflected in what I posted.
Since you wish to make this into a discussion of ethics, it is an academic
falsehood to reset the lifetime timer to zero. Now ... with an electronic
component, does that matter in any tangible sense? There are no moving
parts and keyboards are very cheap. So it must be some kind of false sense
of security that a 'zero' lifetime number brings. My 9155 phone works no
differently now than when it was new. What percentage of life expectancy is
239 hrs? You have no idea.

--

-Philip
Anonymous

> ModernMiko wrote:
> > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > news:o _q7d.673$UP1.195@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> >> AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours
> >> would diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL
> >> Lemme see (looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how
> >> many hours I've logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22
> >> months. Whatever! --
> >>
> >> -Philip
> >
> > No but it would make a phone look more appealing to a buyer on Ebay...
>

> Think about the mortality curve. Lots of failures in the first 5% of a
> device's life and then a sharp decrease. An "experienced" device has
> survived the most failure prone period of its life expectancy.
> --
>
> -Philip

I'd still like to make the decision whether I wanted to buy a heavily used
phone or an almost new phone and that's taken away from me if someone lies
by resetting the timer...

--
JennL
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

We cannot assume one's motive for the request, but if it does NOT matter "in
any tangible sense", why would one want to do it in the first place? The
only reason I can think of would be to mis-lead the intended recipient.

Gregg Hill

> Joseph wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:26:44 GMT, "Philip"
>> <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> AS if ... it mattered. Is there a suggestion that lifetime hours
>>> would diminish your "new every two" credit toward a new phone? LOL
>>> Lemme see (looks for the lifetime number in his Audiovox 9155) how
>>> many hours I've logged. Hmmm ... the phone reports 239 hours in 22
>>> months. Whatever!
>>

>> In other words you have no qualms ethically if you had the ability you
>> would roll back the lifetimer or roll back an odometer on a car, eh?
>> The "whatever" may be important to someone who doesn't particularly
>> want a unit that's been used to death. That's what the "whatever" is.
>> Or perhaps you don't think honesty is important?
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> That may be your inference but such is not reflected in what I posted.
> Since you wish to make this into a discussion of ethics, it is an academic
> falsehood to reset the lifetime timer to zero. Now ... with an electronic
> component, does that matter in any tangible sense? There are no moving
> parts and keyboards are very cheap. So it must be some kind of false
> sense
> of security that a 'zero' lifetime number brings. My 9155 phone works no
> differently now than when it was new. What percentage of life expectancy
> is
> 239 hrs? You have no idea.
>
> --
>
> -Philip

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 10:07:19 AM

Gregg Hill wrote:

> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> In other words you have no qualms ethically if you had the ability
>>> you would roll back the lifetimer or roll back an odometer on a
>>> car, eh?
>>> The "whatever" may be important to someone who doesn't particularly
>>> want a unit that's been used to death. That's what the "whatever"
>>> is. Or perhaps you don't think honesty is important?
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>

>> That may be your inference but such is not reflected in what I
>> posted. Since you wish to make this into a discussion of ethics, it
>> is an academic falsehood to reset the lifetime timer to zero. Now
>> ... with an electronic component, does that matter in any tangible
>> sense? There are no moving parts and keyboards are very cheap. So
>> it must be some kind of false sense
>> of security that a 'zero' lifetime number brings. My 9155 phone
>> works no differently now than when it was new. What percentage of
>> life expectancy is
>> 239 hrs? You have no idea.
>>
>> --
>> -Philip

> We cannot assume one's motive for the request, but if it does NOT
> matter "in any tangible sense", why would one want to do it in the
> first place? The only reason I can think of would be to mis-lead the
> intended recipient.
>
> Gregg Hill

I agree on both points you make.
--

-Philip
Anonymous

ModernMiko wrote:
> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> ModernMiko wrote:
>>> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o _q7d.673$UP1.195@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

>>> No but it would make a phone look more appealing to a buyer on
>>> Ebay...
>>

>> Think about the mortality curve. Lots of failures in the first 5%
>> of a device's life and then a sharp decrease. An "experienced"
>> device has survived the most failure prone period of its life
>> expectancy. --
>>
>> -Philip
>>

> I'd still like to make the decision whether I wanted to buy a heavily
> used phone or an almost new phone and that's taken away from me if
> someone lies by resetting the timer...

So what? I've made the argument that a phone with some hours on it has
survived the most failure prone portion of any device's life. I think the
average person would be stunned if the true lifespan of many solid state
devices were known to them. What constitutes a "heavily used phone?" In my
case, what percentage of my phone's life is 239 hrs? You have no idea. I
also think there is no disagreement here that resetting hour meter on any
device is a deceptive practice.
--

-Philip
Anonymous

> ModernMiko wrote:
> > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> Think about the mortality curve. Lots of failures in the first 5%
> >> of a device's life and then a sharp decrease. An "experienced"
> >> device has survived the most failure prone period of its life
> >> expectancy. --
> >>
> >> -Philip
> >>

> > I'd still like to make the decision whether I wanted to buy a heavily
> > used phone or an almost new phone and that's taken away from me if
> > someone lies by resetting the timer...
>

> So what? I've made the argument that a phone with some hours on it has
> survived the most failure prone portion of any device's life. I think
the
> average person would be stunned if the true lifespan of many solid state
> devices were known to them. What constitutes a "heavily used phone?" In
my
> case, what percentage of my phone's life is 239 hrs? You have no idea.
> also think there is no disagreement here that resetting hour meter on any
> device is a deceptive practice.
> --
>
> -Philip

I never commented on the life expectancy or any of that. I just commented on
the deceptive resetting of which you now say you agree with.

--
JennL
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Actually, I bought the phone used, with 125 hours already on the lifetime
timer. I'd be fooling no one but myself, which is really what I want to
do..... I'd like the phone's lifetime time to reflect it's "lifetime" under
MY ownership and use.

- ESJ

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:26:55 GMT, "E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?
>
> What you're wanting to do could be compared to someone selling a used
> car and rolling back the odometer to give the allusion that there's
> not as much wear and tear on the vehicle. That appears to be what you
> are doing when you wish to clear the lifetimer on a phone!

October 4, 2004 12:09:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I am the original poster of the question, and my motive is to "fool" myself.
I bought the phone used on eBay, and would like to reset the lifetime time
to reflect the phone's "lifetime" under my ownership. As another poster
pointed out, this timer likely has no relationship to the phone's useful
life. I bought a new housing and phone looks nearly new, I'd just like to
complete the refurbishment for my own satisfaction and to maintain the
illusion to myself that I have a new phone.

- ESJ

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> We cannot assume one's motive for the request, but if it does NOT matter
"in
> any tangible sense", why would one want to do it in the first place? The
> only reason I can think of would be to mis-lead the intended recipient.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Joseph wrote:

> >> In other words you have no qualms ethically if you had the ability you
> >> would roll back the lifetimer or roll back an odometer on a car, eh?
> >> The "whatever" may be important to someone who doesn't particularly
> >> want a unit that's been used to death. That's what the "whatever" is.
> >> Or perhaps you don't think honesty is important?
> >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >

> > That may be your inference but such is not reflected in what I posted.
> > Since you wish to make this into a discussion of ethics, it is an
academic
> > falsehood to reset the lifetime timer to zero. Now ... with an
electronic
> > component, does that matter in any tangible sense? There are no moving
> > parts and keyboards are very cheap. So it must be some kind of false
> > sense
> > of security that a 'zero' lifetime number brings. My 9155 phone works
no
> > differently now than when it was new. What percentage of life
expectancy
> > is
> > 239 hrs? You have no idea.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -Philip

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 2:05:04 AM

> Actually, I bought the phone used, with 125 hours already on the lifetime
> timer. I'd be fooling no one but myself, which is really what I want to
> do..... I'd like the phone's lifetime time to reflect it's "lifetime"
under
> MY ownership and use.
>
> - ESJ

Um, how about recording the hours when you received it and then you can
subtract them whenever you want to check? It's a tiny bit longer than being
to look at the phone's timer but a still valid method. I can see why you say
you want to reset it but to most people it looks like you are trying to fool
someone else.

--
JennL
Anonymous

> I am the original poster of the question.....

....bet you wish you hadn't ;-)
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 2:36:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On 10/1/04 11:26 AM, in article 3He7d.165573$787.163147@fe2.columbus.rr.com,
"E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net> wrote:

> Is there any way to clear the lifetime timer on a Motorola V60i (CDMA)?
Probably. Look around for Motorola's Test Mode commands. You used to be
able to do it once you got into Field test mode. (What you want is a
Factory Reset.) I've done it before on some of my Motos just playing around
(and sold them on ebay and nobody asked about the life timer), so it may
still be possible....
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:30:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Ah ... the practiced art of deceiving one's self. LOL
--

-Philip

E Jones wrote:
> I am the original poster of the question, and my motive is to "fool"
> myself. I bought the phone used on eBay, and would like to reset the
> lifetime time to reflect the phone's "lifetime" under my ownership.
> As another poster pointed out, this timer likely has no relationship
> to the phone's useful life. I bought a new housing and phone looks
> nearly new, I'd just like to complete the refurbishment for my own
> satisfaction and to maintain the illusion to myself that I have a new
> phone.
>
> - ESJ
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 7:30:25 AM

ModernMiko wrote:
> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> ModernMiko wrote:
>>> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> I'd still like to make the decision whether I wanted to buy a
>>> heavily used phone or an almost new phone and that's taken away
>>> from me if someone lies by resetting the timer...
>>

>> So what? I've made the argument that a phone with some hours on it
>> has survived the most failure prone portion of any device's life.
>> I think the average person would be stunned if the true lifespan of
>> many solid state devices were known to them. What constitutes a
>> "heavily used phone?" In my case, what percentage of my phone's
>> life is 239 hrs? You have no idea.
>> also think there is no disagreement here that resetting hour meter
>> on any device is a deceptive practice.
>> --
>>
>> -Philip
>
> I never commented on the life expectancy or any of that. I just
> commented on the deceptive resetting of which you now say you agree
> with.

I have ONLY said that resetting a "lifetime timer" (or odometer if you
prefer) would be done for deceptive reasons. I have also said (in essence)
that with an electronic device, accrued hours beyond the initial high
mortality rate is actually a PLUS. :-)

--

-Philip
October 6, 2004 3:13:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

you can probably reflex your cell if you have a data cable and the proper
software, after a flex everything is erased and all timers are set to 0.
Try doing a search or sign up and ask in the motorola thread of
www.howardforums.com I do recall seeing things about the v60i, but never
paid it much attention because I don't own one.
SneakerFreaks Idea is worth a shot too.
"E Jones" <earl_jonesx@usax.net> wrote in message
> I am the original poster of the question, and my motive is to "fool"
myself.
> I bought the phone used on eBay, and would like to reset the lifetime time
> to reflect the phone's "lifetime" under my ownership. As another poster
> pointed out, this timer likely has no relationship to the phone's useful
> life. I bought a new housing and phone looks nearly new, I'd just like to
> complete the refurbishment for my own satisfaction and to maintain the
> illusion to myself that I have a new phone.
>
> - ESJ
>
> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > We cannot assume one's motive for the request, but if it does NOT matter
> "in
> > any tangible sense", why would one want to do it in the first place? The
> > only reason I can think of would be to mis-lead the intended recipient.
> >
> > Gregg Hill
> >

> > "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > That may be your inference but such is not reflected in what I posted.
> > > Since you wish to make this into a discussion of ethics, it is an
> academic
> > > falsehood to reset the lifetime timer to zero. Now ... with an
> electronic
> > > component, does that matter in any tangible sense? There are no
moving
> > > parts and keyboards are very cheap. So it must be some kind of false
> > > sense
> > > of security that a 'zero' lifetime number brings. My 9155 phone works
> no
> > > differently now than when it was new. What percentage of life
> expectancy
> > > is
> > > 239 hrs? You have no idea.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > -Philip

October 6, 2004 6:35:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

you can probably reflex your cell if you have a data cable and the proper
software, after a flex everything is erased and all timers are set to 0.
Try doing a search or sign up and ask in the motorola thread of
www.howardforums.com I do recall seeing things about the v60i, but never
paid it much attention because I don't own one. Found this too
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...

!