Closed Solved

Windows 8 for PC gaming

I am a PC gamer on XP and have heard about great gaming on Win 7. However I think Win 8 is being developed exclusively for bringing gamers back to PC from consoles. What do you guys hv to say on this,,, ?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows gaming
  1. Best answer
    Ummm well I don't really know. A lot of people are a bit apprehensive about Windows 8 because of the whole cloud storage idea. I'm not really sure if it will be Microsoft's next big success, but I don't think it's gonna bring much in the way of gaming.

I believe Microsoft released a statement a few months ago saying that they would be trying to bring back the glory to pc gaming, but I don't think it had much to do with Windows 8. I think it was more about focusing more attention on Games for Windows and their own online store. I'm glad they are at least thinking about shifting their focus, but we will see if it comes to pass.

I know some people will disagree with this, but I think Steam has really helped keep pc gaming alive today. It does a good job, not great, of rivaling the kind of content one might find on Xbox Live. Then again Steam is free, and the fact that you are on a computer means that there is really limitless content. The best part about steam for me is finding sales on games. I think this is a good way to combat piracy.

If pc gaming is truly to be reborn, it will have to come from great games. It will never get there riding the cash cows that are Modern Warfare and Halo. They will have to be truly innovative games where it is obvious that the pc version dominates. Games like TF2, WoW, SC2, BF2, and even BFBC2 really stand out on the pc platform as opposed to consoles. When developers make games like TF2, BF2, and CS that are played for many, many years, console gamers may start to see that there is so much more to gaming than killstreaks, k/d ratios, and the Covenant. PC gaming opens up the doors to better visuals and controls, an awesome community with vast support for mods, and often a much more tactical gameplay experience.

Anyways, I'm ranting WAY off topic. I guess my point was that I don't think Windows 8 will necessarily do anything for pc gaming lol. Just my two cents.
  2. windows 8 will only be better for games if they are a-holes again and make a new direct x that doesnt work on previous versions of windows. Seriously, how hard could it have been to make dx10/11 for xp????......yes i still run XP..........Also i think the next version of windows should be full 64 bit, none of this 32 bit crap. this is what they should have done with vista and win7 imo.
  3. iam2thecrowe said:
    iAlso i think the next version of windows should be full 64 bit, none of this 32 bit crap. this is what they should have done with vista and win7 imo.

But I think I saw somewhere Win *8 will be 128 - bit. ?
  4. asheesh1_2000 said:
    But I think I saw somewhere Win *8 will be 128 - bit. ?

Utter nonsense. We don't have 128bit capable hardware. How are you going to run a 128bit OS?

Windows 8 is still at least 2 years away from release. A lot can and will change in that time. Microsoft have stated that they would like to focus more on PC gaming again, and that Windows 8 will fit into these plans, but exactly how is anybody's guess.
  5. "If pc gaming is truly to be reborn, it will have to come from great games."

I couldn't agree more. How do Blizzard get by only making one game every three to five years? Because they make bloody fantastic games, that's why. Used to be other developers who operated that way, but they were swallowed up by the big publishers (I'm looking at YOU, EA) and closed down. Nowadays, 90% of PC games are bad console ports or useless, buggy, cookie-cutter reworks of something that's been done before.
  6. Herr_Koos said:
    Utter nonsense. We don't have 128bit capable hardware. How are you going to run a 128bit OS?

Windows 8 is still at least 2 years away from release. A lot can and will change in that time. Microsoft have stated that they would like to focus more on PC gaming again, and that Windows 8 will fit into these plans, but exactly how is anybody's guess.

I seem to be agreeing with u here as well.
  7. iam2thecrowe said:
    windows 8 will only be better for games if they are a-holes again and make a new direct x that doesnt work on previous versions of windows. Seriously, how hard could it have been to make dx10/11 for xp????......yes i still run XP..........Also i think the next version of windows should be full 64 bit, none of this 32 bit crap. this is what they should have done with vista and win7 imo.

Actually it's quite hard. Not to get into the details of why (go look it up if you're really interested) but the bottom line is that if it were easy somebody would have done it by now even if it wasn't MS. And there have been serious attempts and they all find the same thing - it's just too hard and really doesn't work.
  8. Having skipped to the bottom and not reading all these posts............ Microsoft said the same thing about Vista..... was a disaster. W7 works fine. You don't need to wait for the next "best" thing...
  9. iam2thecrowe said:
    Seriously, how hard could it have been to make dx10/11 for xp???? ..... Also i think the next version of windows should be full 64 bit, none of this 32 bit crap. this is what they should have done with vista and win7 imo.

DX10 was not released for XP so that people would need to upgrade to Vista for DX10 games. It was done to drive sales.

There are still a lot of programs that are still 32-bit. Especially in the business world.
  10. purplerat said:
    if it were easy somebody would have done it by now even if it wasn't MS. And there have been serious attempts and they all find the same thing - it's just too hard and really doesn't work.

I guess people failed becaz they did not have access to the XP code files. All people have been doing is trying to emulate DX10 to run in XP environment based on the installation and other system files given in the i386 folder. I believe MS could do it. DX10 does not use anything such which did not exist or could not be incorporated in XP.
  11. asheesh1_2000 said:
    I believe MS could do it. DX10 does not use anything such which did not exist or could not be incorporated in XP.

Sure they can do it. But they won't.
  12. Microsoft dont care about PC gaming, since they dont make a Penny from it. They try and screw up PC gaming as far as possible so people can run out buy their dated console, which makes them royalties in the end per game sold.
  13. kashifme21 said:
    Microsoft dont care about PC gaming, since they dont make a Penny from it. They try and screw up PC gaming as far as possible so people can run out buy their dated console, which makes them royalties in the end per game sold.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you are perhaps right,
  14. Best answer selected by asheesh1_2000.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Windows 8 Windows XP Video Games