Sign in with
Your question

Pc games that work without direct draw

Last response: in Video Games
January 28, 2011 4:47:11 AM

Hello,
I don't think i have any direct draw hardware on my laptop, so i was wondering if there was a way to get the games that use direct draw/direct 3d to work without actually having the hardware?

More about : games work direct draw

January 28, 2011 5:37:31 AM

What are your laptop specs? DirectDraw has been around for many years; it's an integral part of Windows. I cannot believe that hardware exists that doesn't support it.
m
l
February 4, 2011 6:32:18 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m with windows 7 home premium 32-bit.
standard VGA display
When I bought the laptop, it had windows XP on it and it said that directdraw and direct3d were enabled. But, ever since i put 7 on, it won't work any more.
I have a 1.6GHz processor (Intel Pentium M Processor)
512MB RAM
i hope this helps!
thanks in advance...
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2011 5:21:11 PM

Try downloading the latest DirectX plus updates from Microsoft's website.
m
l
February 12, 2011 8:04:05 AM

i have Direct x 11 and the latest updates for it. It still says all options are unavailable... :sweat: 
m
l
February 28, 2011 2:14:28 PM

I suspect the case is this: The laptop was supplied with Windows XP, including XP video drivers - Is the laptop's video hardware supported by Windows 7?

Check the laptop specs to see what video hardware is fitted, and then google for the laptop manufacturer / chipset manufacturer to see if either of these supply Windows 7 video drivers. The specs you've quoted so far sound a bit dated, so you might have trouble finding W7 drivers.

I don't know of any way to emulate DirectDraw/DirectD3D in software, and I'd imagine that if such an application existed it would probably not be very rapid.
m
l
February 28, 2011 3:19:33 PM

thank you for all the replies! i returned the laptop to XP and now i have directdraw/direct3d back! yay! yes the laptop was supplied with XP and i tried to put it on 7. i went to the dell website and you were right, no 7 drivers...I'd love to be able to run 7, but not on this laptop...time to save up for a new one..
m
l
February 28, 2011 6:16:04 PM

I expect the GPU on the laptop does not meet Vista/7's minimum GPU requirements...
m
l
!