Sign in with
Your question

Mozilla Firefox

Last response: in Windows XP
February 5, 2005 5:28:34 AM

How many people here have dumped Internet Explorer and have moved to Mozilla Firefox?

More about : mozilla firefox

February 5, 2005 5:45:52 AM

I have it on the PC, but will never dump the IE, Firefox needs a lot to go to get close to the flexability of IE customizationz.

!!!!!!!!!IE is the best!!!!!!!!!!

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:39:51 AM

The only reason I keep IE, is because some sites just don't work without it. Like windows update.

February 5, 2005 4:58:06 PM

Yep ... IE for windows updates & the free Active-X based virus scans (Trend Micro, Panda, BitDefender, etc) ... but I use FF 98% of the time.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>
February 5, 2005 5:12:45 PM

I use both. I use Mozilla for certain stuff and IE for certain stuff. Each has its own little ups and downs. But mozilla is my main Browser.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger
February 5, 2005 5:47:03 PM

I use Mozilla 1.7.5 98% of the time and IE whenever I visit a site that refuses even to try to work with anything other than IE.

Only thing is that if I keep reusing browser windows for two to four days, sometime it's CPU utilization will skyrocket, or maybe it will crash.

On the plus side I get to move my entire profile to my D: drives, which means that 30 seconds after a clean install or a partion restore I have my email and internet setup perfect.

I also have had zero problems with pop-ups and spyware.
February 5, 2005 8:21:13 PM

I use nothing but Firefox! IE is too old and not very secure.
February 6, 2005 11:02:35 AM

I like IE better than any other browser

February 6, 2005 11:14:38 AM

I've tried a bunch of them and settled on Avant Browser for quite awhile now. It uses the IE rendering engine, blocks popups, has tabbed browsing, and options to disable things like activeX, flash animations, java applelets, scripts, etc. Works great for my poor dialup....

....WW (5.0)
February 6, 2005 2:07:54 PM

When I install and use firefox my IE doesn't want to startup again , and goes to W:/windows/system32/shdoclc.dll/dsnerror.html

How can I resolve this...
Even if I uninstall FIREFOX it doesn;t seem to work at all anymore

Please assist
RALPH
February 9, 2005 9:01:15 PM

Firefox is a mess of security holes already:

MFSA 2005-12 javascript: Livefeed bookmarks can steal private data

MFSA 2005-09 Browser responds to proxy auth request from non-proxy ssl server

MFSA 2005-08 Synthetic middle-click event can steal clipboard contents

MFSA 2005-07 Script-generated event can download content without prompting

MFSA 2005-05 Input stealing from other tabs

MFSA 2005-04 Secure site lock can be spoofed using view-source:

MFSA 2005-03 Secure site lock can be spoofed by a binary download

MFSA 2005-02 Opened attachments are temporarily saved world-readable

MFSA 2005-01 Link opened in new tab can load local file

--
Stephen
February 9, 2005 10:33:12 PM

Moved to firefox and staying with firefox for a while.
February 10, 2005 1:29:50 AM

then patch it man ... M$ releases a bunch of security vunerabilities and exploits ... and calls it a browser ...

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>
February 10, 2005 3:35:10 AM

The only thing I use IE for is Windows Update. I use Crazy Browser to pay my cell phone bill, because I like the way that it displays my account information. Otherwise, it's Firefox all the way. I couldn't imagine doing without it, or going back to cruising the 'Net strictly limited to a clunky, outdated browser like IE.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>
February 11, 2005 12:35:12 PM

You should try with Opera Explorer. It's much better than Mozilla Firefox. By the way why is IE so great when he has popups??!!
February 11, 2005 2:22:36 PM

WinXP with SP2 has gone a long way towards making IE a lot more secure than it used to be. Built-in pop-up blocker (finally!!) and no running of ActiveX plug-ins without user input... hell no downloading of files either without user input.

That's not to say that I don't like Firefox... I do use it at work. However, with enough common sense, IE can be as safe as Firefox.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 11, 2005 3:08:43 PM

My position remains ... if you want to use IE (and take the known and unknown chances), by all means do so ... if those of us want to use and support alternative browsers, both because we like them and we want to encourage competition v M$, then we will ... it's that's simple IMHO ...

February 11, 2005 5:46:48 PM

Agreed.

However, you take those same chances with Firefox. Like IE, it has it holes, and patches are required to keep it secure. The problem with being the top dog with most of the market share is that you'll always be a target.

That's not to say the others don't have their own problems, however.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 12, 2005 6:09:19 AM

""By the way why is IE so great when he has popups??!!""

By the way when did IE become a person??!!

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
February 12, 2005 3:03:56 PM

Quote:
<b>"Firefox the browser</b> is an impressive piece of software. It's easy to use, easy on the eyes, and safer than IE - partly because it's too new to have amassed a following of evil hackers. Firefox the phenomenon is something much bigger. It's a combination of innovations in engineering, developer politics, and consumer marketing."

<A HREF="http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.02/firefox.html" target="_new"><b>The Firefox Explosion</b></A>

An excellent read ... I recommend it ...

February 14, 2005 2:43:24 PM

Quote:
Madrid, February 10 2005 - According to Mikx, three security problems have been detected in version 1.0. of the Firefox browser. They can be exploited by remote users to carry out diverse actions on systems, such as uploading malicious software, carrying out conduct cross-site scripting attacks or avoiding security restrictions.

The first of the problems lies in the fact that when the browser copies an image -via drag and drop-, on validating it against the HTTP "Content-Type"
header, it uses a file extension from the URL. This could be exploited to situate a valid image, with an arbitrary file extension, and include script code on the desktop, tricking the user to drag and drop.

The second problem consists of the non-validation of headers, when a "javascript:" URL is dragged to another tab. This vulnerability could be used to execute HTML code and arbitrary script in the user's browser session in the context of any other site.

The third vulnerability could allow -through the use of plug-ins and the moz-opacity filter- the alteration of certain settings parameters.

Sorry... I had to do it. :smile:

No browser is immune from problems... especially when combined with M$ Windows.

February 14, 2005 3:42:19 PM

Firefox is a mess of security holes. Neither the current version of MSIE nor Firefox is built with managed code. Fortunately, MSIE is recently patched; but that leaves Firefox the one with a mess of security holes. Here's Firefox's current list:

MFSA 2005-12 javascript: Livefeed bookmarks can steal private data

MFSA 2005-09 Browser responds to proxy auth request from non-proxy ssl server

MFSA 2005-08 Synthetic middle-click event can steal clipboard contents

MFSA 2005-07 Script-generated event can download content without prompting

MFSA 2005-05 Input stealing from other tabs

MFSA 2005-04 Secure site lock can be spoofed using view-source:

MFSA 2005-03 Secure site lock can be spoofed by a binary download

MFSA 2005-02 Opened attachments are temporarily saved world-readable

MFSA 2005-01 Link opened in new tab can load local file

--
Stephen
February 14, 2005 4:42:48 PM

Bloody fanboys ...

February 15, 2005 12:16:45 AM

Quote:
Firefox is a mess of security holes already:

All I know about FireFox is that I wanted to see what it was like so I downloaded it and used it for all of one day.
I got so many Java based bugs in that one day that I've never tried it again.
Still cleaning Java stuff out of the system!

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek:  </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>
February 15, 2005 3:31:56 PM

You did have the latest version of Java VM installed, right?

(www.java.com)

If not, then that was your problem.

February 15, 2005 8:20:09 PM

It's possible that I didn't have the latest version. I think I remember downloading from th java site...not sure.

!#&$ <font color=blue> :eek:  </font color=blue>---<font color=red><i><b>It's not heavy,...it's my computer</font color=red></i></b>
February 16, 2005 2:34:40 AM

If you are using the Sun Java plug-in, go into the Control Panel, click the plug-in icon, and under the Cache tab, clear the check box to disable caching.

I have seen numerous Trojans enter this cache and infect an otherwise fairly well-protected system. Disabling the cache will not reduce the plug-in's ability to function.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>
February 16, 2005 4:46:39 AM

Well it was enabled so I disabled it...maybe I'll try again. There can't be so many people happy with it and Fire Fox and have experienced the stuff I did.

!