Finally finished Doom3 Resurrection (SPOILERS + disfavorab..

I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I played the
final scene in god mode because after about 30 times of trying and no
way to down grade the difficulty from hard mode (not Nightmare) I
decided that it wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against this.

During the final scene you get very little in the way of positive
feedback that you are making progress, there is just too much to contend
with and the slow running speed doesn't allow for enough escape prowess.

A max of five Artifact uses during this end sequence doesn't help either.

When it appears that the thing is starting to hurt, it finally comes
down to perch giving you a better opportunity to shoot at it but then it
rains down red hot boulders every where. Trying to shoot it and dodge
the boulders at the same time is just too much of a PITA when you have a
slow run speed. (Yes you can shift to faster running mode but it doesn't
help enough)

And then you have the near ceaseless flying skulls that even if you are
in Artifact mode will still greatly upset your aim and quite often knock
you over a ledge. So you must finish them, you can use the gravity gun
on them.

You can also use the gravity gun on the flaming boulders that the beast
spits at you but it very difficult to get all the timings right so you
can actually hit it. The beast also keeps moving most times making it
that much more difficult. There is one spot that it hovers at longer
than the others (besides the perch) but unless you are in Artifact mode,
you won't be able to take advantage of it.

Overall, I'd say it was not a fun experience, I'd probably have a less
displeased view if at least I was allowed to change the difficulty when
required. The entire end is based on movement and timing which means
that tactically speaking, there are almost no tactics.

It appears that once again a modern FPS relies too much on eye candy and
less on actual playing dynamics to provide a fun experience for the player.

They don't make em like they used to...

Jim

Marshall wrote on 7/25/2005 1:28 PM:
> I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I played the
> final scene in god mode because after about 30 times of trying and no
> way to down grade the difficulty from hard mode (not Nightmare) I
> decided that it wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against this.
>
> During the final scene you get very little in the way of positive
> feedback that you are making progress, there is just too much to contend
> with and the slow running speed doesn't allow for enough escape prowess.
>
> A max of five Artifact uses during this end sequence doesn't help either.
>
> When it appears that the thing is starting to hurt, it finally comes
> down to perch giving you a better opportunity to shoot at it but then it
> rains down red hot boulders every where. Trying to shoot it and dodge
> the boulders at the same time is just too much of a PITA when you have a
> slow run speed. (Yes you can shift to faster running mode but it doesn't
> help enough)
>
> And then you have the near ceaseless flying skulls that even if you are
> in Artifact mode will still greatly upset your aim and quite often knock
> you over a ledge. So you must finish them, you can use the gravity gun
> on them.
>
> You can also use the gravity gun on the flaming boulders that the beast
> spits at you but it very difficult to get all the timings right so you
> can actually hit it. The beast also keeps moving most times making it
> that much more difficult. There is one spot that it hovers at longer
> than the others (besides the perch) but unless you are in Artifact mode,
> you won't be able to take advantage of it.
>
> Overall, I'd say it was not a fun experience, I'd probably have a less
> displeased view if at least I was allowed to change the difficulty when
> required. The entire end is based on movement and timing which means
> that tactically speaking, there are almost no tactics.
>
> It appears that once again a modern FPS relies too much on eye candy and
> less on actual playing dynamics to provide a fun experience for the player.
>
> They don't make em like they used to...

At least that sounds like a challenging ending. The ending for Doom3 was
so easy, that I did it on the first try, and was shocked when the thing
died.

Are you perhaps just a noob? :)

Jim

On 7/25/2005 10:28 AM Marshall brightened our day with:

> I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I played the
> final scene in god mode because after about 30 times of trying and no
> way to down grade the difficulty from hard mode (not Nightmare) I
> decided that it wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against this.

I felt the same way about ROEs ending the first time I played it. The
next couple of times I beat the final creature without too much trouble,
and there are tactics involved in the final fight, you just haven't
figured them out yet.

--
"I don't feel tardy"

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

In article <Ji9Fe.8713$Y54.4416@twister.nyc.rr.com>, dead@end.net
(Marshall) wrote:

> I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I
> played the final scene in god mode

I'm going to confess I'm playing the whole thing in god mode. I
started off with good intentions but, well... I'm scared of the
dark, ok? There, I've said it.

D3 turned me into a nervous wreck. I didn't have the courage to go
back in without a massive comfort blanket of invulnerability.
Trouble is, I still get scared... especially when I enter a new
section and forget god mode's turned off again! It's pathetic really
:)

Andrew McP

pop

I also play in god mode; only because I have a low frustration level and
getting killed and having to start over does nothing for my mood! I also
like to look around at the nice scenery and graphics without worrying about
an ambush while my attention is focused elsewhere - I also like to work on
the "puzzle" parts of the game although I am not very thrilled on puzzles
that require acrobatics, etc :)

--
pop is Mark
Doing nothing makes me tired 'cause I can't take a break.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:12:38 +0000, pop wrote:

> I also play in god mode; only because I have a low frustration level and
> getting killed and having to start over does nothing for my mood!

You sound like a little pussy bitch.

> like to look around at the nice scenery and graphics without worrying about
> an ambush while my attention is focused elsewhere - I also like to work on

Yep, that pretty much confirms it.

Linux Registered User #327951

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:28:09 GMT, Marshall <dead@end.net> wrote:

>I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I played the
>final scene in god mode because after about 30 times of trying and no
>way to down grade the difficulty from hard mode (not Nightmare) I
>decided that it wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against this.

You could type 'g_skill' in the console. Changes take effect upon loading
the next level - thus you have to load an old saved game.

There are instaneous changes that occurr when you change the skill level,
but I don't know if they are significant.

>During the final scene you get very little in the way of positive
>feedback that you are making progress, there is just too much to contend
>with and the slow running speed doesn't allow for enough escape prowess.

That's why boss meters are invented - although the almost done feeling may
ruin on what the developers intended to give.

"Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in
message
> In article <Ji9Fe.8713$Y54.4416@twister.nyc.rr.com>, dead@end.net
> (Marshall) wrote:
>
>> I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I
>> played the final scene in god mode
>
> I'm going to confess I'm playing the whole thing in god mode. I
> started off with good intentions but, well... I'm scared of the
> dark, ok? There, I've said it.
>
> D3 turned me into a nervous wreck. I didn't have the courage to go
> back in without a massive comfort blanket of invulnerability.
> Trouble is, I still get scared... especially when I enter a new
> section and forget god mode's turned off again! It's pathetic really
> :)
>
> Andrew McP

I found there are always warnings when there are demons around. Not so
with the zombies always, but deffo the demons. Yeah the game is dark
and spooky as hell. Sposed to be. I either cranked the sound up on the
main set with sub woofer or cranked it up with the headphones on. And
played it mostly at night :) With the sound UP, you can hear the tiny
audio details, the whispers, the strangeness. Really cool atmosphere!
I really enjoy looking at all the detail in ALL that machinery. Ain't
any wonder it took so long to develop!
But howEVER you enjoy it, just DO... :)
McG.

"Marshall" <dead@end.net> wrote in message
>I did something that normally I greatly dislike doing. I played the final
>scene in god mode because after about 30 times of trying and no way to down
>grade the difficulty from hard mode (not Nightmare) I decided that it
>wasn't worth it to keep banging my head against this.
>
> During the final scene you get very little in the way of positive feedback
> that you are making progress, there is just too much to contend with and
> the slow running speed doesn't allow for enough escape prowess.
>
> A max of five Artifact uses during this end sequence doesn't help either.
>
> When it appears that the thing is starting to hurt, it finally comes down
> to perch giving you a better opportunity to shoot at it but then it rains
> down red hot boulders every where. Trying to shoot it and dodge the
> boulders at the same time is just too much of a PITA when you have a slow
> run speed. (Yes you can shift to faster running mode but it doesn't help
> enough)
>
> And then you have the near ceaseless flying skulls that even if you are in
> Artifact mode will still greatly upset your aim and quite often knock you
> over a ledge. So you must finish them, you can use the gravity gun on
> them.
>
> You can also use the gravity gun on the flaming boulders that the beast
> spits at you but it very difficult to get all the timings right so you can
> actually hit it. The beast also keeps moving most times making it that
> much more difficult. There is one spot that it hovers at longer than the
> others (besides the perch) but unless you are in Artifact mode, you won't
> be able to take advantage of it.
>
> Overall, I'd say it was not a fun experience, I'd probably have a less
> displeased view if at least I was allowed to change the difficulty when
> required. The entire end is based on movement and timing which means that
> tactically speaking, there are almost no tactics.
>
> It appears that once again a modern FPS relies too much on eye candy and
> less on actual playing dynamics to provide a fun experience for the
> player.
>
> They don't make em like they used to...

Well Marshall, this doesn't sound good. While I too died a fair few times
attempting to defeat the winged bastard, I never felt the game to be overly
difficult or unfair. In fact, the only reason I had trouble was because I
wasn't aware of the dead body (providing another artifact use). Are you sure
you're aiming at the creature!? The flying heads are a pain in the arse, but
the fact is that you can easily use the artifact to slow down time and take
them out. Bare in mind that this is before they hit you, blurring your
vision. You can easily kill them with the machine gun before they even
approach you.

I hear that you used the artifact five times? How so? I know you can carry
three 'souls' or whatever, and there's the dead body..... but where's the
fith? Regardless, I managed to destroy the boss with a total of four
artifact uses and if you're breaking five then you have serious aiming
trouble, or are simply using the wrong weapons. In artifact mode you can
even use the rocket launcher to hit the beast, he moves that slow.

The raining boulders were annoying, but you already know the answer......
use the artifact, slow down time. It didn't even occur to me when playing
that you could use the gravity gun to disgard them. I can't see how you had
this much trouble.

pop

awwww.... did I give you something to show your ass about? good!

McGrandpa wrote:
> Doom2, I think I have some 5 storebought CD's of levels for that one
> alone. I did find some great faves. All but forgotten now. I started
> playing Doom shareware on a 386DX40 with 128 megs of ram and a legacy
> vid card. That quickly got upgraded to something I could play it with
> :) 486DX4-100 was the best pre-Pentium rig I had. 256 megs SDram, VESA
> local bus and a couple different VLB cards like a Diamond Stealth 128
> and a Hercules Dynamite Pro VL. Those were the days where you knew what
> to do with DOS to get all the conventional ram free you could or you
> didn't play many games :) I thought the original Wing Commander was
> sooooo cool. Then there was Wolfenstein 3D, and then along came Doom :)
> Wow.
> Well, seeing as most folks think that ROE is better than Doom3, I'd
> better pick that up this weekend :)
> McG.

A 386 with 128 megs of ram? Are you sure? That would've costed about ten
times the rest of your rig at that time.

Now about RoE: I finished Doom 3 about week ago and started playing RoE
immediately thereafter. Maybe it's because I needed to take a break from
this type of games, but I didn't enjoy RoE that much - somewhere along
the line I've lost my enthusiasm and stopped playing it. And the reason
is there's too much "adventure," if you know what I mean - the grav
gun, the artifact...

What really disgusted me was the first boss, the one that is immune to
conventional weapons, so you have to use the grav gun, grab projectiles
from the turrets and shoot it at him. Am I the only one who thinks
something like this would be more appropriate in Super Mario or
something? He even moved like Super Mario bosses - if he went "ping"
every time I hit him, the impression would be complete. Now MY idea of a
good boss fight is to shoot the hell outta him with the heaviest
firearms you have, not playing some piggy-in-the-middle...

Lukas Hosek

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:35:09 +0200, Lukas Hosek <none.of@your.business>
wrote:

>What really disgusted me was the first boss, the one that is immune to
>conventional weapons, so you have to use the grav gun, grab projectiles
>from the turrets and shoot it at him. Am I the only one who thinks
>something like this would be more appropriate in Super Mario or
>something?

Not at all - Puzzle bosses were generally (ab)used in Chasm, where the boss
of each sector was immune to normal weapon fire, but always had a method to
ensure it's easy death.

This is why hybrid puzzle/power bosses are considered better - while the
player is can eventually kill it with the most powerful/effective weapon
(e.g. player is fighting a boss with 750 hitpoints and a damage cap of 1),
there's always the option of using the finding and using the special attack
that hits the boss 700 times.

"Lukas Hosek" <none.of@your.business> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> Doom2, I think I have some 5 storebought CD's of levels for that one
>> alone. I did find some great faves. All but forgotten now. I
>> started playing Doom shareware on a 386DX40 with 128 megs of ram and
>> a legacy vid card. That quickly got upgraded to something I could
>> play it with :) 486DX4-100 was the best pre-Pentium rig I had. 256
>> megs SDram, VESA local bus and a couple different VLB cards like a
>> Diamond Stealth 128 and a Hercules Dynamite Pro VL. Those were the
>> days where you knew what to do with DOS to get all the conventional
>> ram free you could or you didn't play many games :) I thought the
>> original Wing Commander was sooooo cool. Then there was Wolfenstein
>> 3D, and then along came Doom :) Wow.
>> Well, seeing as most folks think that ROE is better than Doom3, I'd
>> better pick that up this weekend :)
>> McG.
>
> A 386 with 128 megs of ram? Are you sure? That would've costed about
> ten times the rest of your rig at that time.

You right. I had 64 megs. Still have the ram. It was my first Pentium
rig I put 2 x 64 meg DIMMS in. That 486DX4-100 had 96 megs. That one
might still boot :)

> Now about RoE: I finished Doom 3 about week ago and started playing
> RoE immediately thereafter. Maybe it's because I needed to take a
> break from this type of games, but I didn't enjoy RoE that much -
> somewhere along the line I've lost my enthusiasm and stopped playing
> it. And the reason is there's too much "adventure," if you know what
> I mean - the grav gun, the artifact...
>
> What really disgusted me was the first boss, the one that is immune to
> conventional weapons, so you have to use the grav gun, grab
> projectiles from the turrets and shoot it at him. Am I the only one
> who thinks something like this would be more appropriate in Super
> Mario or something? He even moved like Super Mario bosses - if he
> went "ping" every time I hit him, the impression would be complete.
> Now MY idea of a good boss fight is to shoot the hell outta him with
> the heaviest firearms you have, not playing some
> piggy-in-the-middle...

Some folks liked it better than Doom3 proper :\
McG.

> Lukas Hosek

<snip ending ROE>

Has anyone else gotten tired of bosses? I've been playing this kind of
stuff back until Heretic and I kinda got tired of it. Generally I use GOD
mode to finish. I hardly have the time to play little lone spend a load of
time trying to defeat bosses (did it in the earlier days). Could be I'm
just older with more time demands.

TP

"The Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
> <snip ending ROE>
>
> Has anyone else gotten tired of bosses? I've been playing this kind
> of stuff back until Heretic and I kinda got tired of it. Generally I
> use GOD mode to finish. I hardly have the time to play little lone
> spend a load of time trying to defeat bosses (did it in the earlier
> days). Could be I'm just older with more time demands.
>
> TP

Yeah, at times. Like you, I've gotten older and more stodgy about
Quality Me Time and spending it being frustrated versus really enjoying
myself :) My first run through Doom3 I did take em on and take the
beating until I figured the strategy needed. But after upgrading the
rig and playing it to enjoy it with all the eye candy, nope, I took
the 'god' path :) Still enjoyed it too.
McG.

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:05:21 GMT, "The Primate" <primate@primate.com>
wrote:

><snip ending ROE>
>
>Has anyone else gotten tired of bosses?

Depends on the boss, and how it's implemented. The old style of bosses
were made simply because there wasn't another method of making them
difficult.

The Doom bosses wouldn't work in a modern game - they would be better off
as support units used to supplement the legions of demons that approach.

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders takes the approach in Episode 4 and 5
about using an army of bosses (and show exactly why the Shadowsphere is
ulesess in single player, since they never hit a continually moving
target.)

Strife works out well - the bosses may be scary when they appear to be
immune to regular weapons but are ultimatly killed without problem. The
greatest threat is being killed by your own attacks.

Hexen... kind of relies on external triggers to be a threat. The boss
itself is considered weak. In a way, this could work. My issue is with the
mini-boss that comes up with some form of invulnerability.

> I've been playing this kind of
>stuff back until Heretic and I kinda got tired of it. Generally I use GOD
>mode to finish. I hardly have the time to play little lone spend a load of
>time trying to defeat bosses (did it in the earlier days). Could be I'm
>just older with more time demands.

More like tedious - most commonly, they are some uber-soldat with more
hitpoints and a superweapon.

I have seen one game where the final opponent has enough hitpoints on hard
that there isn't enough ammo in the map to finish him off with whatever
weaponry is available in the previous area. (However, the game is
finishable - you just have to keep a downgraded missile launcher.)

wrote:

><snip ending ROE>
>
>Has anyone else gotten tired of bosses? I've been playing this kind of
>stuff back until Heretic and I kinda got tired of it. Generally I use GOD
>mode to finish. I hardly have the time to play little lone spend a load of
>time trying to defeat bosses (did it in the earlier days). Could be I'm
>just older with more time demands.

Yeah, I'm tired of bosses. Especially the Erebus Dig site (level 2)
Anybody know how to kill this guy?

Disappointed with the Doom III series. I don't mind difficulty but the
programmers at Id think that making the whole game darker and adding a
flashlight would be a bigger challenge. Maybe so, but any game is
ultimately supposed to be "FUN". Walking around in the dark and getting
hit from behind is not "FUN"!!