SMC2835W work with WPA security?

I have a SMC2835W EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter on my
Sony VAIO PCG-F350 laptop. The laptop is running WinXP-H-SP2. The drivers
for the SCM card are their "latest", i.e. from June of 2003.

My Linksys router is configured to use WPA security with MAC address
filtering. It connects just fine to my other laptop (HP Pavilion zt3000)
with a built-in Intel 2200 wireless adapter. (I have checked and rechecked
to MAC address list for accuracy.)

The SCM card sees the router signal, and will connect to it if the router is
configured without security or with 64-bit WEP. It will not connect with
WPA. (Nor with 128-bit WEP, for that matter.)

If I disable the built-in adapter on the HP Pavilion and use the SMC card in
it instead, the behavior is exactly the same as on the Sony VAIO; so I don't
think it's the computer.

I have spent much time on the phone with SMC technical support, and they
haven't been able to help me connect.

My question would be, then--before I toss this card into the dustbin--has
anyone been able to make the SMC2835W work with WPA security? If so, were
there any tricks involved?

Your help is appreciated

Try WPA Assistant. Worked for me using all LInksys gear. Was able to use
WPA-AES using a WRT54G.

"Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a SMC2835W EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter on
my
> Sony VAIO PCG-F350 laptop. The laptop is running WinXP-H-SP2. The
drivers
> for the SCM card are their "latest", i.e. from June of 2003.
>
> My Linksys router is configured to use WPA security with MAC address
> filtering. It connects just fine to my other laptop (HP Pavilion zt3000)
> with a built-in Intel 2200 wireless adapter. (I have checked and
rechecked
> to MAC address list for accuracy.)
>
> The SCM card sees the router signal, and will connect to it if the router
is
> configured without security or with 64-bit WEP. It will not connect with
> WPA. (Nor with 128-bit WEP, for that matter.)
>
> If I disable the built-in adapter on the HP Pavilion and use the SMC card
in
> it instead, the behavior is exactly the same as on the Sony VAIO; so I
don't
> think it's the computer.
>
> I have spent much time on the phone with SMC technical support, and they
> haven't been able to help me connect.
>
> My question would be, then--before I toss this card into the dustbin--has
> anyone been able to make the SMC2835W work with WPA security? If so, were
> there any tricks involved?
>
> Your help is appreciated

As far as I can tell, WPA Assistant runs only on Win2000. I am running
WinXP SP2, which has the WPA support built in.

"Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
> Try WPA Assistant. Worked for me using all LInksys gear. Was able to use
> WPA-AES using a WRT54G.
>

> "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have a SMC2835W EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter on
> my
>> Sony VAIO PCG-F350 laptop. The laptop is running WinXP-H-SP2. The
> drivers
>> for the SCM card are their "latest", i.e. from June of 2003.
>>
>> My Linksys router is configured to use WPA security with MAC address
>> filtering. It connects just fine to my other laptop (HP Pavilion zt3000)
>> with a built-in Intel 2200 wireless adapter. (I have checked and
> rechecked
>> to MAC address list for accuracy.)
>>
>> The SCM card sees the router signal, and will connect to it if the router
> is
>> configured without security or with 64-bit WEP. It will not connect with
>> WPA. (Nor with 128-bit WEP, for that matter.)
>>
>> If I disable the built-in adapter on the HP Pavilion and use the SMC card
> in
>> it instead, the behavior is exactly the same as on the Sony VAIO; so I
> don't
>> think it's the computer.
>>
>> I have spent much time on the phone with SMC technical support, and they
>> haven't been able to help me connect.
>>
>> My question would be, then--before I toss this card into the dustbin--has
>> anyone been able to make the SMC2835W work with WPA security? If so,
>> were
>> there any tricks involved?
>>
>> Your help is appreciated

Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins. You'll
have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software when
you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the drivers,
just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.

Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software can be
used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
win2k).

I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can get it
to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.

> As far as I can tell, WPA Assistant runs only on Win2000. I am running
> WinXP SP2, which has the WPA support built in.
>
> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
> > Try WPA Assistant. Worked for me using all LInksys gear. Was able to use
> > WPA-AES using a WRT54G.
> >

> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a SMC2835W EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 802.11g Wireless Cardbus Adapter
on
> > my
> >> Sony VAIO PCG-F350 laptop. The laptop is running WinXP-H-SP2. The
> > drivers
> >> for the SCM card are their "latest", i.e. from June of 2003.
> >>
> >> My Linksys router is configured to use WPA security with MAC address
> >> filtering. It connects just fine to my other laptop (HP Pavilion
zt3000)
> >> with a built-in Intel 2200 wireless adapter. (I have checked and
> > rechecked
> >> to MAC address list for accuracy.)
> >>
> >> The SCM card sees the router signal, and will connect to it if the
router
> > is
> >> configured without security or with 64-bit WEP. It will not connect
with
> >> WPA. (Nor with 128-bit WEP, for that matter.)
> >>
> >> If I disable the built-in adapter on the HP Pavilion and use the SMC
card
> > in
> >> it instead, the behavior is exactly the same as on the Sony VAIO; so I
> > don't
> >> think it's the computer.
> >>
> >> I have spent much time on the phone with SMC technical support, and
they
> >> haven't been able to help me connect.
> >>
> >> My question would be, then--before I toss this card into the
dustbin--has
> >> anyone been able to make the SMC2835W work with WPA security? If so,
> >> were
> >> there any tricks involved?
> >>
> >> Your help is appreciated

Well, if you can tell me how to fake out the installation procedure, I am
quite willing to try. However, I downloaded the installation package for
it, and it refused to install, with a message to the effect that "WPA
Assistant only runs on Windows 2000".

> Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins. You'll
> have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software when
> you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
> software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the
> drivers,
> just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.
>
> Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software can
> be
> used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
> settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
> channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
> setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
> win2k).
>
> I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can get
> it
> to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.
>

> "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> As far as I can tell, WPA Assistant runs only on Win2000. I am running
>> WinXP SP2, which has the WPA support built in.
>>
>> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
>> > Try WPA Assistant. Worked for me using all LInksys gear. Was able to
>> > use
>> > WPA-AES using a WRT54G.
>> >

>> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> on
>> > my
>> > drivers

> zt3000)
>> > rechecked

> router
>> > is
> with

> card
>> > in
>> > don't

> they

> dustbin--has

Oh. Well, I guess that does it for WPA Assistant, didn't know you had gotten
to that point. Since your model of PC card is apparently WPA-capable
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article50-page3.php it might be an
issue of router/PC card compatability where WPA is concerned. I looked on
SMC's website and they don't seems to offer any drivers for XP and that
card-they're relying on XP to provide that I guess. I also googled your
model and xp drivers and not much came up that was of any use. Probably best
to just get a Linksys PC card.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=SMC2835W+EZ%2C+drivers%2C+WPA&btnG=Search&meta=

> Well, if you can tell me how to fake out the installation procedure, I am
> quite willing to try. However, I downloaded the installation package for
> it, and it refused to install, with a message to the effect that "WPA
> Assistant only runs on Windows 2000".
>
> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
> > Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins. You'll
> > have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software
when
> > you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
> > software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the
> > drivers,
> > just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.
> >
> > Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software
can
> > be
> > used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
> > settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
> > channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
> > setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
> > win2k).
> >
> > I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can get
> > it
> > to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.
> >

> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> As far as I can tell, WPA Assistant runs only on Win2000. I am running
> >> WinXP SP2, which has the WPA support built in.
> >>
> >> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message

Adapter
> > on

> > zt3000)

> > router
> > with

> > card

> > they

> > dustbin--has

Willy

Do you have SSID broadcast enabled on the router when trying to connect? I
found that, at least when making the intitial connection with my WPA
situation, I HAD to have SSID broadcast enabled.

"Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, if you can tell me how to fake out the installation procedure, I am
> quite willing to try. However, I downloaded the installation package for
> it, and it refused to install, with a message to the effect that "WPA
> Assistant only runs on Windows 2000".
>
> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
> > Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins. You'll
> > have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software
when
> > you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
> > software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the
> > drivers,
> > just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.
> >
> > Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software
can
> > be
> > used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
> > settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
> > channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
> > setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
> > win2k).
> >
> > I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can get
> > it
> > to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.
> >

> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> As far as I can tell, WPA Assistant runs only on Win2000. I am running
> >> WinXP SP2, which has the WPA support built in.
> >>
> >> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message

Adapter
> > on

> > zt3000)

> > router
> > with

> > card

> > they

> > dustbin--has

I am truly on the verge of tossing this SMC card into the dustbin. But I'm
not sure what to replace it with. I had no a priori reason to suspect that
the SMC offering wouldn't work. If I go Linksys, that would be
semi-superstitiously assuming it would play better with my Linksys router.
Motorola has a reasonably priced card, too, and the name resonates well with
me. My DLink print server works reasonably well. Belkin used to impress
me, but I had quality problems with one of their ethernet PCMCIA cards.
What to do, what to do...?

> Oh. Well, I guess that does it for WPA Assistant, didn't know you had
> gotten
> to that point. Since your model of PC card is apparently WPA-capable
> http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article50-page3.php it might be an
> issue of router/PC card compatability where WPA is concerned. I looked on
> SMC's website and they don't seems to offer any drivers for XP and that
> card-they're relying on XP to provide that I guess. I also googled your
> model and xp drivers and not much came up that was of any use. Probably
> best
> to just get a Linksys PC card.
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=SMC2835W+EZ%2C+drivers%2C+WPA&btnG=Search&meta=
>

> "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, if you can tell me how to fake out the installation procedure, I
>> am
>> quite willing to try. However, I downloaded the installation package for
>> it, and it refused to install, with a message to the effect that "WPA
>> Assistant only runs on Windows 2000".
>>
>> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
>> > Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins.
>> > You'll
>> > have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software
> when
>> > you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
>> > software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the
>> > drivers,
>> > just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.
>> >
>> > Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software
> can
>> > be
>> > used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
>> > settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
>> > channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
>> > setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
>> > win2k).
>> >
>> > I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can
>> > get
>> > it
>> > to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.
>> >

>> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Adapter
>> > on

>> > zt3000)

>> > router
>> > with

>> > card

>> > they

>> > dustbin--has
> so,

SSID broadcast is enabled, since there doesn't seem to be much point in
disabling it.
> Willy
>
> Do you have SSID broadcast enabled on the router when trying to connect? I
> found that, at least when making the intitial connection with my WPA
> situation, I HAD to have SSID broadcast enabled.
>
> "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, if you can tell me how to fake out the installation procedure, I
>> am
>> quite willing to try. However, I downloaded the installation package for
>> it, and it refused to install, with a message to the effect that "WPA
>> Assistant only runs on Windows 2000".
>>
>> "Bob Schmidt" <Smitty@telecom.SPAMNET> wrote in message
>> > Maybe it'll work anyway as win2k and xp are pretty close cousins.
>> > You'll
>> > have to make sure that you only use the WPA Asst connection software
> when
>> > you first install and setup. Turn off the xp and whatever proprietary
>> > software for the wireless cards that you have. Don't uninstall the
>> > drivers,
>> > just turn off the software and uncheck it from starting up in msconfig.
>> >
>> > Once it works, if it works, see if the xp and/or proprietary software
> can
>> > be
>> > used to monitor the connection. You may have to play with the hardware
>> > settings in the card (device manager) on each client to get the proper
>> > channel and sharing (ie you'll want to pick shared key if it has that
>> > setting available--see my earlier posting on how I got it to work with
>> > win2k).
>> >
>> > I know it doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution but, if you can
>> > get
>> > it
>> > to work with xp, it'll give you WPA.
>> >

>> > "Willy Nilly" <nilleigh@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Adapter
>> > on

>> > zt3000)

>> > router
>> > with

>> > card

>> > they

>> > dustbin--has
> so,

hans

Willy Nilly wrote:

> I am truly on the verge of tossing this SMC card into the dustbin. But I'm
> not sure what to replace it with. I had no a priori reason to suspect that
> the SMC offering wouldn't work. If I go Linksys, that would be
> semi-superstitiously assuming it would play better with my Linksys router.
> Motorola has a reasonably priced card, too, and the name resonates well with
> me. My DLink print server works reasonably well. Belkin used to impress
> me, but I had quality problems with one of their ethernet PCMCIA cards.
> What to do, what to do...?

I have a SMC 7804 wbrb and it works perfect with WPA
I can switch it on and off just like that.
No problem at all.

It does WEP/WPA too which I haven't tested yet.

On the client side no problems with WPA but my Belkin only
wants WEP. So far, I had to struggle with Belkin.

hansR