Fallout 3 Game of the year Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoiddroid

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
If anyone knows how I can fix this issue with fallout 3 freezing 10 minutes into the game please let me know. Im on windows 7 and play plenty of games, yet fallout 3 freezes and I have to end the task constantly. Anyone who can help me out would be greatly appreciated.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Yep, and I know the answer. I am playing it right now on my rig and went through the exact same thing. The problem is apparently with a patch they did, which has trouble with quad core CPU's.

To fix it, pay careful attention to the path here:

Step 1)
Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:
bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to:
bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert:
iNumHWThreads=2
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.

Step 2)
Download and install the latest klite codec pack from here:
http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html

Did those two things and this game has played perfect since. And I absolutely LOVE this game. It's like a combination of Bioshock and STALKER, but with a better story and more imaginative monsters and environment.

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I have the same problem actually, and I did the above and it still doesn't work. I dunno if its because I have a triple core and not a quad. My other pc with the same windows x64 bit but a dual core and a 8600gt runs it without hitch, didn't even need klite or to adjust the .ini.

At the moment nothing else is suggested to fix it beyond what the post above has said...just playing it on a crappier pc. :/

I too experienced that. If you want to take the easy way of going for playing in Quad core to Dual core, Once the game is running, go into the task manager, click Fallout 3 and set the affinity from four to two cores. The only other advice I can give is to save often. It was even worse on the PS3, to the point of being unplayable at times as the frame slowed way down and then finally it froze up. Fallout; New Vegas should have been good, but had more bugs than a roach motel.

abedaun

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

This worked like a charm. I have a new Asus N53S with i7 quad core, and FO3 was freezing every few minutes and I had to end the task in Windows. I made the above change to the .ini file and it hasn't happened sense. Thanks studioman22!

Status
Not open for further replies.