Doom 2 Serial Play

peter

Hey
I have a friend coming over and I want to setup a simple serial network
so we can play multiplayer on Doom II. What equipment do I need, other
than the serial cable, and do I set it up?

Both the computers are pretty old, but they both play Doom 2 perfectly.

Thanks
Peter

Peter wrote:
> OK then, once I've got a null modem, how do I set it up and get the
> comps 'talking'? Do I just do the cables and run ipxsetup.exe?

Null modem is just another name for a serial cable. All you have to do
is connect it and run sersetup.exe (if you want to supply parameters
from the command line) or just setup.exe (if you want a user-friendly
interface)

Lukas Hosek

"Peter" <peterooms@gmail.com> wrote in news:1122561299.193905.254160
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> wow...it sounds so simple!

You also need to make sure your 'Serial Ports' are configured properly in
the bios of both computers.

peter

they're both COM1 - I checked in device manager
After much mucking about, I finally got it to work. Ran setup.exe on
one computer, did all the settings then ran sersetup.exe on the other.
Works like a miracle. And fast, too!
Thanks for yoour help.