PRL 50203 Decoded

They're back! The PRL entries and the carrier names. Keep in mind, the PRL
has a few oddities, some are VZ's errors, some are due to the lack of
current SID information since the list went private a year ago.

SID 50203: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50203.htm
SID 50183: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50183.htm
PRL page: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com
27 answers Last reply
More about 50203 decoded

    Thank You very much!!

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by
    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    > They're back! The PRL entries and the carrier names. Keep in mind, the
    > PRL
    > has a few oddities, some are VZ's errors, some are due to the lack of
    > current SID information since the list went private a year ago.
    >
    > SID 50203: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50203.htm
    > SID 50183: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50183.htm
    > PRL page: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm
    >

    > Bill Radio
    > Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
    > http://www.mountainwireless.com

    Bill, thanks for the PRL on Alltel. Mine is 804, the local digital for
    SC/NC, but I was looking through 802 and found these entries:

    127 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
    189 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On

    127 is Verizon in Charleston, SC. What do these readings mean?

    Thanks for the info.....

    Larry,
    It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
    continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
    if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

    -Bill

    > Larry,
    > It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
    > continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
    > if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

    Thanks. I thought so. 127 is Verizon in eastern SC. 189 is Verizon in
    Columbia and the Midlands.

    Larry,

    If you are interested in an interpretation of Alltel's PRL 904 (most
    recent), it is posted at:

    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=454814

    royc

    Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9576EF8708EDBw4csc@63.223.5.244>...
    > Bill, thanks for the PRL on Alltel. Mine is 804, the local digital for
    > SC/NC, but I was looking through 802 and found these entries:
    >
    > 127 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
    > 189 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
    >
    > 127 is Verizon in Charleston, SC. What do these readings mean?
    >
    > Thanks for the info.....

    Can you track the status of the National SingleRate PRL as well as
    America's Choice?

    It looks like those of us with NSR didn't get a new PRL this go-round;
    we're still at 50186.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    Mark,
    It appears the only reason they issued this latest PRL is to change the
    action of the roaming indicator, and to shuffle some carriers in/out of
    Preferred in the AC plan. Neither of these changes would affect NSR
    customers.

    Bill Radio

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Bill Radio wrote:
    > It appears the only reason they issued this latest PRL is to change the
    > action of the roaming indicator, and to shuffle some carriers in/out of
    > Preferred in the AC plan. Neither of these changes would affect NSR
    > customers.

    OK, thanks.

    In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
    Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
    >Larry,
    >It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
    >continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
    >if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

    It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
    properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
    calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
    wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
    regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:34:36 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
    wrote:

    >In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
    >Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
    >>Larry,
    >>It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
    >>continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
    >>if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.
    >
    >It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
    >properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
    >calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
    >wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
    >regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

    Call 911 and immediately tell them you are simply placing a test call.
    That's what my landline company recommended I do once, and the 911
    center didn't seem to mind. YMMV.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:37:22 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
    <ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
    universe, and everything:

    >On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:34:36 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
    >>Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
    >>>Larry,
    >>>It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
    >>>continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
    >>>if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.
    >>
    >>It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
    >>properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
    >>calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
    >>wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
    >>regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.
    >
    >Call 911 and immediately tell them you are simply placing a test call.
    >That's what my landline company recommended I do once, and the 911
    >center didn't seem to mind. YMMV.

    Do it at a time when they're not busy. NOT, for example 4:30 Friday
    afternoon.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce." - Maj. Frank Burns

    hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in

    > In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
    >
    > It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
    > properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
    > calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
    > wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible
    > signal, regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

    If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the tower
    you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to call 911 from
    inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint tower that creates
    full scale signals back when I was a Verizon customer. The phone continued
    to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come out of sleep mode to look.

    Is that what you were asking?

    Phone is a Verizon-labeled V60i and was on SC/NC Local Digital Choice at
    the time of the test. If it's not locked onto something, it ain't gonna
    happen. Both Alltel (over half scale) and Sprint PCS (full scale) were
    available before the PRL changes to eliminate in-market roaming in the DEAD
    ZONES.

    I think it's a crime the way it works. Someone could get killed because of
    it....

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the tower
    > you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to call 911 from
    > inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint tower that creates
    > full scale signals back when I was a Verizon customer. The phone continued
    > to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come out of sleep mode to look.

    You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

    --
    We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
    son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

    What, me worry?

    clouston@sprynet.com (royc) wrote in

    > Larry,
    >
    > If you are interested in an interpretation of Alltel's PRL 904 (most
    > recent), it is posted at:
    >
    > http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=454814
    >
    > royc

    Thank you. Great work....

    I find it most interesting that 139 067A Greenville-Spartanburg Verizon
    227A Anderson
    061A Charlotte-Gastonia
    579A North Carolina 15 - Cabarrus
    are included as Priority 5 CDMA Flashing

    but

    2115 1 On Verizon Wireless
    632A South Carolina 8 - Hampton
    189 1 On Verizon Wireless
    095A Columbia SC
    631A South Carolina 7 - Calhoun
    127 1 On Verizon Wireless
    090A Charleston-North Charleston SC
    631A South Carolina 7 - Calhoun
    377 1 On Verizon Wireless
    264A Florence SC
    630A South Carolina 6 - Clarendon
    down here in the flatlands are all Priority 10, EXCLUDED from access.

    Wanna bet other areas on the PRL table have been similarly set where the
    mountainous regions ARE included to roam onto the other carriers and
    flatland regions, like Charleston where I live, are EXCLUDED because some
    company bureaucrat figures they have a signal everywhere and don't need to
    cause unnecessary roaming which reduces revenues? In our case, here, it
    looks totally arbitrary in SC. Mountains get roaming...flatlands don't.

    I think I'm going to spin off a little letter to Alltel, not an email, and
    ask for some explanation about this decision, calmly pointing out some
    areas I know about of marginal signals.

    One wonders aloud whether this is the reason why ALL the carriers have
    roaming in some regions and not in others......(c;

    I'm going to re-post this info over on the dead Alltel group, so will get
    it off Verizon before the flamefest. But, It's lots wider than just
    Alltel....

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:11:10 -0400, Harry Krause
    <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

    You would have to drag me kicking and screaming into one.;-)

    > Wanna bet other areas on the PRL table have been similarly set where the
    > mountainous regions ARE included to roam onto the other carriers and
    > flatland regions, like Charleston where I live, are EXCLUDED because some
    > company bureaucrat figures they have a signal everywhere and don't need to
    > cause unnecessary roaming which reduces revenues? In our case, here, it
    > looks totally arbitrary in SC. Mountains get roaming...flatlands don't.
    >
    > I think I'm going to spin off a little letter to Alltel, not an email, and
    > ask for some explanation about this decision, calmly pointing out some
    > areas I know about of marginal signals.
    >
    > One wonders aloud whether this is the reason why ALL the carriers have
    > roaming in some regions and not in others......(c;
    >
    > I'm going to re-post this info over on the dead Alltel group, so will get
    > it off Verizon before the flamefest. But, It's lots wider than just
    > Alltel....

    Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
    matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
    much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
    buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
    monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB

    Harry Krause wrote:
    > Larry W4CSC wrote:
    >
    >> If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the
    >> tower you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to
    >> call 911 from inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint
    >> tower that creates full scale signals back when I was a Verizon
    >> customer. The phone continued to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come
    >> out of sleep mode to look.
    >
    > You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

    Sure ... he's worried about getting crushed in the next Christmas Sale
    stampede to the cashiers. ;-) Some people lay on the floor trying to call
    911 while other more robust individuals start crawling for the door. LOL

    malebomb_04@yahoo.com (MALEBOMB) wrote in

    > Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
    > matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
    > much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
    > buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
    > monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB

    Ooooo, Oooooo! Malebomb makes the boss happy attacking a poster!

    Tell your Verizon it can kiss my ass, bud! Alltel's working MUCH BETTER
    than the liars at Verizon....MUCH BETTER! Charleston to Daytona
    Beach....not a SINGLE place you cannot communicate during the entire
    trip....Works great! You should try it!

    Force it over to Alltel and talk to a TSR. Notice they don't act like
    you...(c;

    Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > malebomb_04@yahoo.com (MALEBOMB) wrote in
    >
    >> Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
    >> matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
    >> much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
    >> buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
    >> monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB
    >>

    > Ooooo, Oooooo! Malebomb makes the boss happy attacking a poster!
    >
    > Tell your Verizon it can kiss my ass, bud! Alltel's working MUCH BETTER
    > than the liars at Verizon....MUCH BETTER! Charleston to Daytona
    > Beach....not a SINGLE place you cannot communicate during the entire
    > trip....Works great! You should try it!
    >
    > Force it over to Alltel and talk to a TSR. Notice they don't act like
    > you...(c;

    As a matter of absolute fact, Larry is the consumer from hell, and
    sooner or later typically turns on every product or service he
    originally praised. I've watched his antics with amusement over the
    years. A few years ago, he couldn't make the deal he wanted for a small
    boat from a dealer in Charleston, so he saved a thousand dollars by
    buying it from a distant dealer. Then, when the boat needed service, he
    took it to his local dealer, acted like a flaming ass, and was kicked
    out of the dealership. For years, Larry whined about the treatment he
    got from his local dealer. Well-deserved treatment. Then, I recall, he
    bragged about a new HP computer he bought, only to whine about it later.
    He did the same thing when he started to use LINUX...and then discovered
    some of the programs he wanted to use weren't available in LINUX.

    Frankly, if I ran a store or service anywhere, I'd refuse Larry service.
    No one needs his kind of whining, bitching, complaining...

    Still, Larry is a pretty decent fellow and probably is a lot of fun at
    parties...he's the guy who usually is wearing the silly hats and trying
    to pick up chicks young enough to be his granddaughter.

    --
    We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
    son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of
    them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
    incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

    What, me worry?

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:15:00 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >Nothing is negative in the
    >Carolinas.

    Probably because they took care of that "problem" quite a while back
    here.

    Harry Krause <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > As a matter of absolute fact, Larry is the consumer from hell, and
    > sooner or later typically turns on every product or service he
    > originally praised. I've watched his antics with amusement over the

    Anyone interested in who Harry Krause is can simply put his name into any
    usenet search engine in rec.boats. No further comments are necessary.....

    Wow, Had no idea this guy is this far out in left field...

    --
    All Email is scanned and
    declared Virus free by

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:05:52 GMT, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

    >Anyone interested in who Harry Krause is can simply put his name into any
    >usenet search engine in rec.boats. No further comments are necessary.....

    And anyone who wants to do a serch on your posts can see how screwed
    up Larry is!

    If you've moved to Alltel, do US a favor and get OUT of the Verizon
    newsgroup!

    HotRod wrote:
    > Wow, Had no idea this guy is this far out in left field...

    Indeed. I am a proud moderate to lefty. Which has nothing to do with my
    opinion of Crazy Larry, whose usenet ravings about businesses that have
    "done him wrong" I have observed for nearly 10 years.

    Here's what I think about Verizon: I switched to Verizon after about
    seven years as an ATT cell customer. I made my switch because of ATT's
    bad customer service, bad coverage in many areas important to me, and
    lack of ATT-owned stores where one might get real service.

    I have found Verizon's customer service to date to be much better than
    ATT's, and there is no question that its coverage where I spend most of
    my time -Washington, DC, and its suburbs, is better. Verizon even has
    coverage in the Metro tunnels and many of the downtown DC highway
    tunnels, where my ATT phones would simply die.

    Sooner or later, Larry will sour on Alltel, just as he has soured on
    virtually every other product and service he has touted.

    --

    Bob Jones <bobjones@infi.net> wrote in

    > If you've moved to Alltel, do US a favor and get OUT of the Verizon
    > newsgroup!

    Shh....don't tell the company....It's not Verizon's newsgroup!

    Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > Bob Jones <bobjones@infi.net> wrote in
    >

    >> If you've moved to Alltel, do US a favor and get OUT of the Verizon
    >> newsgroup!
    >>

    > Shh....don't tell the company....It's not Verizon's newsgroup!

    How's that HP compter of yours, Larry...you know...the one you
    loved...until you didn't?

    --
    "...vice president (Cheney), I'm surprised to hear him talk about
    records. When he was one of 435 members of the United States House, he

    - Senator John Edwards, 10/05/04

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > Anyone interested in who Harry Krause is can simply put his name into any
    > usenet search engine in rec.boats. No further comments are necessary.....

    Glass houses, larry ... you have been conspicuously (and amusingly)
    absent from rec.boats.electronics since you got outed about all your
    claims to have those radio licenses that even the FCC can't find.

    "No further comments are necessary....."

    One of the few truths you have ever posted.

    Rick

Verizon Wireless Internet Service Providers