PRL 50203 Decoded

They're back! The PRL entries and the carrier names. Keep in mind, the PRL
has a few oddities, some are VZ's errors, some are due to the lack of
current SID information since the list went private a year ago.

SID 50203: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50203.htm
SID 50183: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50183.htm
PRL page: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

Thank You very much!!

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> They're back! The PRL entries and the carrier names. Keep in mind, the
> PRL
> has a few oddities, some are VZ's errors, some are due to the lack of
> current SID information since the list went private a year ago.
>
> SID 50203: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50203.htm
> SID 50183: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50183.htm
> PRL page: http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl.htm
>

> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com

Bill, thanks for the PRL on Alltel. Mine is 804, the local digital for
SC/NC, but I was looking through 802 and found these entries:

127 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
189 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On

127 is Verizon in Charleston, SC. What do these readings mean?

Thanks for the info.....

Larry,
It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

-Bill

> Larry,
> It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
> continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
> if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

Thanks. I thought so. 127 is Verizon in eastern SC. 189 is Verizon in
Columbia and the Midlands.

Larry,

If you are interested in an interpretation of Alltel's PRL 904 (most
recent), it is posted at:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=454814

royc

Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9576EF8708EDBw4csc@63.223.5.244>...
> Bill, thanks for the PRL on Alltel. Mine is 804, the local digital for
> SC/NC, but I was looking through 802 and found these entries:
>
> 127 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
> 189 65535 Negative Same (1) Omitted 1 0x00 On
>
> 127 is Verizon in Charleston, SC. What do these readings mean?
>
> Thanks for the info.....

Can you track the status of the National SingleRate PRL as well as
America's Choice?

It looks like those of us with NSR didn't get a new PRL this go-round;
we're still at 50186.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Mark,
It appears the only reason they issued this latest PRL is to change the
action of the roaming indicator, and to shuffle some carriers in/out of
Preferred in the AC plan. Neither of these changes would affect NSR
customers.

Bill Radio

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Bill Radio wrote:
> It appears the only reason they issued this latest PRL is to change the
> action of the roaming indicator, and to shuffle some carriers in/out of
> Preferred in the AC plan. Neither of these changes would affect NSR
> customers.

OK, thanks.

In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
>Larry,
>It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
>continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
>if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.

It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:34:36 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
wrote:

>In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
>Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
>>Larry,
>>It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
>>continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
>>if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.
>
>It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
>properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
>calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
>wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
>regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

Call 911 and immediately tell them you are simply placing a test call.
That's what my landline company recommended I do once, and the 911
center didn't seem to mind. YMMV.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:37:22 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:34:36 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
>>Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
>>>Larry,
>>>It means that SID 127 and 189 cannot be accessed. It will
>>>continue to search for another carrier, or show "No Service" even
>>>if a strong signal is seem in 127 or 189.
>>
>>It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
>>properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
>>calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
>>wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible signal,
>>regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.
>
>Call 911 and immediately tell them you are simply placing a test call.
>That's what my landline company recommended I do once, and the 911
>center didn't seem to mind. YMMV.

Do it at a time when they're not busy. NOT, for example 4:30 Friday
afternoon.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce." - Maj. Frank Burns

hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote in

> In article <10lv88fbvvd53b4@corp.supernews.com>,
> Bill Radio <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:
>
> It would be interesting to determine whether various model phones
> properly deal with 911 calls and ignore such NEG PRL entries. "911"
> calls are supposed to be handled specially by both the phone and the
> wireless network and go through if the phone can find a compatible
> signal, regardless of account status/roam agreements/etc.

If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the tower
you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to call 911 from
inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint tower that creates
full scale signals back when I was a Verizon customer. The phone continued
to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come out of sleep mode to look.

Is that what you were asking?

Phone is a Verizon-labeled V60i and was on SC/NC Local Digital Choice at
the time of the test. If it's not locked onto something, it ain't gonna
happen. Both Alltel (over half scale) and Sprint PCS (full scale) were
available before the PRL changes to eliminate in-market roaming in the DEAD
ZONES.

I think it's a crime the way it works. Someone could get killed because of
it....

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the tower
> you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to call 911 from
> inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint tower that creates
> full scale signals back when I was a Verizon customer. The phone continued
> to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come out of sleep mode to look.

You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?

clouston@sprynet.com (royc) wrote in

> Larry,
>
> If you are interested in an interpretation of Alltel's PRL 904 (most
> recent), it is posted at:
>
> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=454814
>
> royc

Thank you. Great work....

I find it most interesting that 139 067A Greenville-Spartanburg Verizon
227A Anderson
061A Charlotte-Gastonia
579A North Carolina 15 - Cabarrus
are included as Priority 5 CDMA Flashing

but

2115 1 On Verizon Wireless
632A South Carolina 8 - Hampton
189 1 On Verizon Wireless
095A Columbia SC
631A South Carolina 7 - Calhoun
127 1 On Verizon Wireless
090A Charleston-North Charleston SC
631A South Carolina 7 - Calhoun
377 1 On Verizon Wireless
264A Florence SC
630A South Carolina 6 - Clarendon
down here in the flatlands are all Priority 10, EXCLUDED from access.

Wanna bet other areas on the PRL table have been similarly set where the
mountainous regions ARE included to roam onto the other carriers and
flatland regions, like Charleston where I live, are EXCLUDED because some
company bureaucrat figures they have a signal everywhere and don't need to
cause unnecessary roaming which reduces revenues? In our case, here, it
looks totally arbitrary in SC. Mountains get roaming...flatlands don't.

I think I'm going to spin off a little letter to Alltel, not an email, and
ask for some explanation about this decision, calmly pointing out some
areas I know about of marginal signals.

One wonders aloud whether this is the reason why ALL the carriers have
roaming in some regions and not in others......(c;

I'm going to re-post this info over on the dead Alltel group, so will get
it off Verizon before the flamefest. But, It's lots wider than just
Alltel....

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:11:10 -0400, Harry Krause
<piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

You would have to drag me kicking and screaming into one.;-)

> Wanna bet other areas on the PRL table have been similarly set where the
> mountainous regions ARE included to roam onto the other carriers and
> flatland regions, like Charleston where I live, are EXCLUDED because some
> company bureaucrat figures they have a signal everywhere and don't need to
> cause unnecessary roaming which reduces revenues? In our case, here, it
> looks totally arbitrary in SC. Mountains get roaming...flatlands don't.
>
> I think I'm going to spin off a little letter to Alltel, not an email, and
> ask for some explanation about this decision, calmly pointing out some
> areas I know about of marginal signals.
>
> One wonders aloud whether this is the reason why ALL the carriers have
> roaming in some regions and not in others......(c;
>
> I'm going to re-post this info over on the dead Alltel group, so will get
> it off Verizon before the flamefest. But, It's lots wider than just
> Alltel....

Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB

Harry Krause wrote:
> Larry W4CSC wrote:
>
>> If the phone is status NO SIGNAL, because the PRL has locked out the
>> tower you are standing under. It's in sleep mode. I've tried to
>> call 911 from inside that infamous WalMart 1/4 mile from the Sprint
>> tower that creates full scale signals back when I was a Verizon
>> customer. The phone continued to say NO SIGNAL and didn't even come
>> out of sleep mode to look.
>
> You needed a rescue from Wal-Mart?

Sure ... he's worried about getting crushed in the next Christmas Sale
stampede to the cashiers. ;-) Some people lay on the floor trying to call
911 while other more robust individuals start crawling for the door. LOL

malebomb_04@yahoo.com (MALEBOMB) wrote in

> Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
> matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
> much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
> buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
> monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB

Ooooo, Oooooo! Malebomb makes the boss happy attacking a poster!

Tell your Verizon it can kiss my ass, bud! Alltel's working MUCH BETTER
than the liars at Verizon....MUCH BETTER! Charleston to Daytona
Beach....not a SINGLE place you cannot communicate during the entire
trip....Works great! You should try it!

Force it over to Alltel and talk to a TSR. Notice they don't act like
you...(c;

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> malebomb_04@yahoo.com (MALEBOMB) wrote in
>
>> Honeymoon over already? You will never be happy with your service no
>> matter who it is with and your $40.00 a month is not going to have
>> much pull at the corporate office. You have this beef with big
>> buisness and your whining is not going to change the way these
>> monsters operate, so deal with it Larry... MB
>>

> Ooooo, Oooooo! Malebomb makes the boss happy attacking a poster!
>
> Tell your Verizon it can kiss my ass, bud! Alltel's working MUCH BETTER
> than the liars at Verizon....MUCH BETTER! Charleston to Daytona
> Beach....not a SINGLE place you cannot communicate during the entire
> trip....Works great! You should try it!
>
> Force it over to Alltel and talk to a TSR. Notice they don't act like
> you...(c;

As a matter of absolute fact, Larry is the consumer from hell, and
sooner or later typically turns on every product or service he
originally praised. I've watched his antics with amusement over the
years. A few years ago, he couldn't make the deal he wanted for a small
boat from a dealer in Charleston, so he saved a thousand dollars by
buying it from a distant dealer. Then, when the boat needed service, he
took it to his local dealer, acted like a flaming ass, and was kicked
out of the dealership. For years, Larry whined about the treatment he
got from his local dealer. Well-deserved treatment. Then, I recall, he
bragged about a new HP computer he bought, only to whine about it later.
He did the same thing when he started to use LINUX...and then discovered
some of the programs he wanted to use weren't available in LINUX.

Frankly, if I ran a store or service anywhere, I'd refuse Larry service.
No one needs his kind of whining, bitching, complaining...

Still, Larry is a pretty decent fellow and probably is a lot of fun at
parties...he's the guy who usually is wearing the silly hats and trying
to pick up chicks young enough to be his granddaughter.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of
them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

What, me worry?

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:15:00 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

>Nothing is negative in the
>Carolinas.

Probably because they took care of that "problem" quite a while back
here.

Harry Krause <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in

> As a matter of absolute fact, Larry is the consumer from hell, and
> sooner or later typically turns on every product or service he
> originally praised. I've watched his antics with amusement over the

Anyone interested in who Harry Krause is can simply put his name into any
usenet search engine in rec.boats. No further comments are necessary.....

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003

Wow, Had no idea this guy is this far out in left field...

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:05:52 GMT, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

>Anyone interested in who Harry Krause is can simply put his name into any
>usenet search engine in rec.boats. No further comments are necessary.....

And anyone who wants to do a serch on your posts can see how screwed
up Larry is!

If you've moved to Alltel, do US a favor and get OUT of the Verizon
newsgroup!

HotRod wrote:
> Wow, Had no idea this guy is this far out in left field...

Indeed. I am a proud moderate to lefty. Which has nothing to do with my
opinion of Crazy Larry, whose usenet ravings about businesses that have
"done him wrong" I have observed for nearly 10 years.

Here's what I think about Verizon: I switched to Verizon after about
seven years as an ATT cell customer. I made my switch because of ATT's
bad customer service, bad coverage in many areas important to me, and
lack of ATT-owned stores where one might get real service.

I have found Verizon's customer service to date to be much better than
ATT's, and there is no question that its coverage where I spend most of
my time -Washington, DC, and its suburbs, is better. Verizon even has
coverage in the Metro tunnels and many of the downtown DC highway
tunnels, where my ATT phones would simply die.

Sooner or later, Larry will sour on Alltel, just as he has soured on
virtually every other product and service he has touted.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of
them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

What, me worry?

TRENDING THREADS