Ballmer: ''Full Guns'' on iPad is ''Job One Urgency''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
An intel/amd proc would have alot advantages if they could implement it. Paired with a mobile gpu, and throttle software to adjust speed/power demands, and you might have an Ipad killer.

......Here is hoping for some competition......

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Pricing is by far the most important thing for me. If it's got 2+ Gb of RAM and the new Atom CPUs I'll probably pick one up. But to dominate the market it needs to be priced at around $400.

G

I have a Fujitsu T5010 Tablet with Vista Business, now installed Windows 7 Business. Microsoft really has to get in the game and the only way to do it is go big or stay home. It really has to smoke, lets face it if they build it (and it works well) they will buy it by the multi millions, not just 3 million.....

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"It's no great secret that Apple beat Microsoft (and basically everyone else) to the tablet market in the consumer space."

In what alternate universe did Apple beat Microsoft to Tablets?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
"They'll be shipping as soon as they are ready," Ballmer said. "It is job one urgency. No one is sleeping at the switch."

Dude your Company(MS) has been a sleep on this for over a year. I don't care how urgent you place it now, you will never catch up to the Ipad. You should be fired for this alone.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
It better not have a lame ass 1024x768 resolution.....this lame resolution goes all the way back to the quake days with 486 CPU's

it needs to be FULL 720p (1366x768) MINIMUM!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
1920x1080, 4GB RAM, 2GHz Intel dual core, some random nice Nvidia mobile GPU, and full blown windows 7 on a 13" IPS resistive touch panel please.

You know, a real tablet?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
1920x1080, 4GB RAM, 2GHz Intel dual core, some random nice Nvidia mobile GPU, and full blown windows 7 on a 13" IPS resistive touch panel please.

You know, a real tablet?

Translates to about 4 HRS Battery Life without all the MS Viruses you will probably get.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Microsoft is going full guns to catch up. So what's the news here? I've been seeing that since they failed to ship Windows 95 in 1994 and hurried to make it look as much like OS/2 as they could.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
What's the point of trying to beat the iPad, there's yet to be established that there's any kind of market for tablets in the first place.

They're essentially even less powerful netbooks with no keyboard, non-portable media players or oversized smartphones with no phone functionality.

All the big manufacturers might want to dazzle us with sales and cool features but until there's a mean killer app that only tablets handle well you're better off waiting for them to hit eBay en masse before taking the plunge on one.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
The thing comes down to "What apps/games can it run?". Sure, it will run FLASH, but, hey, people buy Apple things because those come with the iTunes store so people can buy a bunch of games that costs .99... That's why Apple is winning this round.

I don't even own an apple device, but it's the truth..

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
apple did not beat everyone to the consumer market on tablets, they just marketed thier device like no one else did, why bring a device to market when apple will do the market branding, research and then you see if people will buy it then release better designed

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]"It's no great secret that Apple beat Microsoft (and basically everyone else) to the tablet market in the consumer space."In what alternate universe did Apple beat Microsoft to Tablets?[/citation]

In the one where every major tablet before it has weighed 3+ pounds and was pretty much a cannibalized laptop.

G

As this statement has nothing to do with the story, ignore this as you choose, but have you ever noticed, that as the years pass...Ballmer looks more and more like Peter Boyle as Frankenstein's Monster in Young Frankenstein."Puttin on the RIIIITZZZ!!!"

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]1920x1080, 4GB RAM, 2GHz Intel dual core, some random nice Nvidia mobile GPU, and full blown windows 7 on a 13" IPS resistive touch panel please.You know, a real tablet?Translates to about 4 HRS Battery Life without all the MS Viruses you will probably get.[/citation]

I've been running MS based OS's since windows 3.1, you know how many viruses I've gotten in that 15+ years? Two, one from a stupid chain letter (learned my lesson there), and one from installing a bootleg copy of 'longhorn' the vista beta that a buddy gave to me. Both were easily removed with a simple virus scan/quarantine. IMO if you are suffering from a plethora of viruses you are 1; lax in security software, and 2; downloading pirated software.

Stay away from Warez and update you're virus scanner at least once a month.

i've bee

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]I've been running MS based OS's since windows 3.1, you know how many viruses I've gotten in that 15+ years? Two, one from a stupid chain letter (learned my lesson there), and one from installing a bootleg copy of 'longhorn' the vista beta that a buddy gave to me. Both were easily removed with a simple virus scan/quarantine. IMO if you are suffering from a plethora of viruses you are 1; lax in security software, and 2; downloading pirated software.Stay away from Warez and update you're virus scanner at least once a month.i've bee[/citation]

You forgot one major cause of virus infections:

plain Utter Stupidity

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
From what I've seen with the Eee Pad from ASUS, this will certainly be very nice. It will use a Core 2 duo low voltage processor, have 2GB of memory, not sure about the GPU, but the display runs 1366x768. Oh, and it can be docked in landscape mode AND has a USB port for external accessories. Battery life is advertised to be about 8 hours as well.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Jopple beat $icrosoft to what?
/rolleyes

[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]It better not have a lame ass 1024x768 resolution.....this lame resolution goes all the way back to the quake days with 486 CPU'sit needs to be FULL 720p (1366x768) MINIMUM![/citation]
No, dude, it needs at least 1080p MINIMUM! And minimum 9 megapupsel camera with lens of 2mm radius!

Don't settle for less, dude! 7" screens were made to enjoy full HD! And 2mm lens are made to capture full HD videos!

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Make sure it can play HD quality video, and also flash based video as well. Video playback is important. I don't want to have crappy video playback like I do on an older eeePC.

G

The real beauty of the iPad for most people is its instant on, simplistic approach to computing. Being able to do most of the things you want to do without the fuss of booting, blue screens, shut-downs, restarts, and all the other isms that goes with a fully functioning computer, including OSX. If Balmer misses the real reason why people are gravitating to this new sector, then he will miss the boat again. Sure there is a "Techie" market out there who wants a tablet to run Crisis, but I think the majority of buyers are novice to medium users who are frustrated with the ins and outs of a full OS.

And since when did they start making devices? Isn't M$ a software company? I bet if they didn't make the Zune, but made the marketplace and software, then they would have been better off... How about just perfect the software and let the other guys figure out the hardware, isn't that the winning formula for M$?

Status
Not open for further replies.