New 1005D bios for A7V

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a new bios out for the A7V, I think?
I got it here at www.amdzone.com. I could not find it on the Asus web page or the Asus ftp site so I don't know where they got it. And for that reason I have not tried flashing it yet.
The reports are that it allows the virus protection to be disabled without errors and people are reaching insane FSB speeds and the board is still stable. I will flash it and let you guys know more when more info becomes available.

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanx for the heads up Bubba. My Crucial CAS2 craves to be put to the test. Let us know, thanx again.

"I yam what I yam!"

G

Hi,
I found the bios on the ASUS website in Taiwan http://www.asus.com.tw - actually their monthly note FAQ ( http://www.asusnetq.com.tw/English/Component/socketa/mqa_a7v.asp) points to it and recommends that it can help with the boot problem from an ATA drive while having Virus detection in the BIOS off. I flashed yesterday, it works.

Cheers,
Gert

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I haven't flashed it yet. Some people are reporting problems and saying that if you system is working fine then not to go to 1005D. Just rumors, and I have no more info on it. I'll try to find out more.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

G

Hi Bubba,
certainly right. I agree. Never change a running system, but I had problems and decided to go for the BETA 1005D and see if it helps; and it did help.
Cheers,

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I just downloaded an up to date bios for my asus a7v board.(1005c) What does new bios help fix. Reason for asking i can not load my OS to hard disk. Would it help get this installed or does it help fix issues beyond having the OS installed

RocKo

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Webpage:
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/bios_socka.html#a7v" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/bios_socka.html#a7v</A>
Latest bios upgrade:
a7v1005c.zip
A7V BIOS Ver. 1005C 01/08/2001
Fix enter BIOS setup automatically in ON/OFF test.

<font color=red><b>-RocKo</b></font color=red> :cool:

G

Unfortunately in your case it didn't help at all. I usually don't flash to a new bios until I have loaded the os and used it a bit. I once flashed an an MSI6199 before I put in the os and the board was toast. Used the "friend's eprom" trick to fix it though.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
So the board wasn't "toast" but rather you screwed up the flash procedures and misconfigured the Eprom.

Please be careful with your terminology. "Toast" (at least in my World) means you fried the board and it is now junk.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

G

THe board was toast and wasn't working. Only a new eprom would fix it. And getting a new eprom is not something that you can walk down to the store and get.

At least I don't go telling people and I quote

"First things first.
Obtain the 1005d BIOS update".

THat's not the first thing you do. You do many other things before you start flashing the bios. Or the computer will be toast as it is in the case of "jdmarsh2g".

Let's not get hung up about terminology but should be more concerned when we give out procedures that produce toast.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I guess you don't have one of these motherboards. We have flashed about 90 of them to 1005D to FIX problems and have yet to have any problems due to our procedures.

While I would agree with the statements, "If your system is working fine, don't upgrade your BIOS" or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"; however, I know for a fact (unlike you) that these procedures work and that they resolve problems.

As for you screwing up your eproms, like I said, you obviously DIDN'T follow procedures or you loaded the wrong BIOS. Either way, your motherboard wasn't "toast". Sounds more like a "eye dee ten tee" problem to me.

Most dealers that work on these things everyday also like to keep an eprom flasher on their bench for the cases where previous programming may have brought the board to the point where it won't post.

I would advise EVERYONE to stay away from 1006 (both B1006 and B1006a) as we found that these BIOS do have some serious problems. Specifically, they don't recognize anything over a 32MB (B1006) or a 64MB (B1006a) memory region.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'