LX mobo upgrade

G

I have a old Gateway 233PII that has a Slot1 LX mobo. The fastest proc it supports is a 333 and if Im going to bother to upgrade it I would like to go higher than that. The mobo will only support a 66MHz bus to my knowledge making the obvious choice to try a Slot1 celeron. The prob is that celerons need 2.0V while the PII gets 2.8V. I dont know of anyway to adj the voltage going into the proc on this mobo and wanted any suggestions on what to do. Do some slotket come with a way to adj the voltage? Any input would be helpful, thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some slotkets come with an adjustment. But your mobo should autodetect voltages for any non-coppermine Celeron, and the PPGA version is available up to 533.

Suicide is painless...........

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you want to go beyond 333 (intel started their 100 MHz FSB P2's with P-II 350) better go for a new motherboard, you can sell off your cpu/mobo combo for the needful, who wont get a cpu for their mobo or a mobo for their cpu.

can go for a simple i810 motherboard if you are on tight budget, or Asus CUSL2 is the best one you can have around.

girish

G

so I could get something like a Abit SlotketIII and a 533 ppga celeron and it should work?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should be able to use a standard slotket with the 533 PPGA. The SlotketIII would be necessary for the FC-PGA, but I don't know if the FC-PGA would work even with a SlotketIII. So your better off with an ordinary Slotket and the PPGA, as the voltages for the PPGA are in the range that your motherboard should be able to understand.

Suicide is painless...........