Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recording Gameplay Without Lag? Video Capture Card?

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2011 12:06:26 AM

Is there any way to record a game you are playing on the PC without it making the game lag? Obviously using another program like FRAPS or something to record is going to use CPU and GPU resources while you're playing, but if you have a PCI card or an external device that does dedicated video capture would that still make the game lag?

My inclination is to believe that the game would still lag. It seems unlikely, to me at least, that the video capture device wouldn't use any of the computer's resources but I could be wrong.

For anyone that has a capture card and does this (or anyone that just knows), what is the answer? I would like to be able to record gameplay, but I don't want to have to introduce lag into my games to do it. Also, the expensive professional capture systems would probably work, but I don't want to pay that much for one of those.

Thanks.
February 4, 2011 5:15:24 AM

How about a camcorder?

I'm saying that cuz unless you get a more powerful system it will still lag because of the extra load.

What are your system specs?
Score
February 4, 2011 11:04:21 AM

Don't bother with a Camcorder. Pointless.

The Xfire video recorder gives a very similar quality to FRAPS and uses much less resources.
Score
Related resources
February 4, 2011 11:53:53 AM

The first step would be to record a demo of your gameplay if your game allows it. Then just play back the demo and then record with your favorite tool.
Score
February 4, 2011 5:07:55 PM

My point is if you don't want the program interfering with your game get more computing power or get a separate system that is not attached to the game!

Main poster you are correct in you assumption it will cut into your game performance, also I have used xfire and it does take a share of the computing pie.

The demo idea only works on games that support it, not all do.
Score
February 5, 2011 2:56:59 AM

Hmm, I wonder how games on the console do this without noticeable lag? I've had 20 minute matches on Halo: Reach and it records every second. If I choose to have it rendered on bungie.net it isn't at a resolution of 120x60 (that probably isn't a real resolution, I'm just using a really really tiny number) either, its good enough to see in a video player.

I guess the only real solution is to have another computer or to have a dedicated video capture hardware platform. Either of those options are probably going to be EXPENSIVE though, hundreds of dollars.
Score
February 13, 2012 10:20:41 PM

sgtmattbaker said:
Is there any way to record a game you are playing on the PC without it making the game lag? Obviously using another program like FRAPS or something to record is going to use CPU and GPU resources while you're playing, but if you have a PCI card or an external device that does dedicated video capture would that still make the game lag?

My inclination is to believe that the game would still lag. It seems unlikely, to me at least, that the video capture device wouldn't use any of the computer's resources but I could be wrong.

For anyone that has a capture card and does this (or anyone that just knows), what is the answer? I would like to be able to record gameplay, but I don't want to have to introduce lag into my games to do it. Also, the expensive professional capture systems would probably work, but I don't want to pay that much for one of those.

Thanks.

All program uses Processing power to record, the only way for 0 lag, is getting a capture card.
Score
February 13, 2012 10:26:42 PM

Check Out the Hauppauge HD PVR, thats what most console gamers use to record gameplay for like youtube
Score
!