Recording Gameplay Without Lag? Video Capture Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Is there any way to record a game you are playing on the PC without it making the game lag? Obviously using another program like FRAPS or something to record is going to use CPU and GPU resources while you're playing, but if you have a PCI card or an external device that does dedicated video capture would that still make the game lag?

My inclination is to believe that the game would still lag. It seems unlikely, to me at least, that the video capture device wouldn't use any of the computer's resources but I could be wrong.

For anyone that has a capture card and does this (or anyone that just knows), what is the answer? I would like to be able to record gameplay, but I don't want to have to introduce lag into my games to do it. Also, the expensive professional capture systems would probably work, but I don't want to pay that much for one of those.

Thanks.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
My point is if you don't want the program interfering with your game get more computing power or get a separate system that is not attached to the game!

Main poster you are correct in you assumption it will cut into your game performance, also I have used xfire and it does take a share of the computing pie.

The demo idea only works on games that support it, not all do.

sgtmattbaker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hmm, I wonder how games on the console do this without noticeable lag? I've had 20 minute matches on Halo: Reach and it records every second. If I choose to have it rendered on bungie.net it isn't at a resolution of 120x60 (that probably isn't a real resolution, I'm just using a really really tiny number) either, its good enough to see in a video player.

I guess the only real solution is to have another computer or to have a dedicated video capture hardware platform. Either of those options are probably going to be EXPENSIVE though, hundreds of dollars.

quangluu96

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

All program uses Processing power to record, the only way for 0 lag, is getting a capture card.

Status
Not open for further replies.