Sign in with
Your question

Are all console games created on PC?

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2011 6:55:23 PM

I freind of mine keeps telling me that console games are created on PC. Is this true?

More about : console games created

February 2, 2011 10:27:22 PM

Obviously.
You need a computer and rendering tools to make a game.
February 2, 2011 10:39:08 PM

Ok thanks.
Related resources
February 3, 2011 10:32:51 PM

It wouldn't hurt to best answer me. :lol: 
Anyways, at least you learned something!
February 4, 2011 5:03:26 AM

Wow, talk about just helping for the points!
February 4, 2011 8:56:22 AM

Say what?
February 4, 2011 11:55:16 AM

lol
February 4, 2011 1:21:36 PM

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and so No.

The engine is created on PCs and Designers use the engine to create the game. That said, some engines are created to run on consoles. Think about user generated content/games. If mindcraft made it's way to consoles then you have a game engine created already on the PC but the design would be entirely created on the console itself. Another example is Little Big Planet. The games were created using the LBP engine which was run entirely on the console itself.

So yes, most games were created in a game engine that run on PC first and optimized for consoles but to say that, definitely, games are all created on PC would be untrue.

Make sense?
February 4, 2011 5:03:32 PM

"So yes, most games were created in a game engine that run on PC first and optimized for consoles but to say that, definitely, games are all created on PC would be untrue. "

You are in error here my friend.

Games are all created on a PC and then burnt to the console media and then they are tested on the console but that the only action a console get in the production of a game.

February 4, 2011 6:38:57 PM

accolite said:
"So yes, most games were created in a game engine that run on PC first and optimized for consoles but to say that, definitely, games are all created on PC would be untrue. "

Games are all created on a PC and then burnt to the console media and then they are tested on the console but that the only action a console get in the production of a game.

But I thought the developers all used gamepads and GUI's to write all the lines of code. Why would they need PC because consoles are soooo much better and the PS3 has 7868657 cores to do all that fast math stuff...
February 4, 2011 8:26:02 PM

accolite said:

There's absolutely no reason a console could not be loaded with the necessary development tools (IDE, API, game engines, graphic design, etc), connect a keyboard and mouse and fully create a game on the console. A console, at it's core is a computer the same as a PC. For practicality reasons, yes the majority of games especially anything that is professionally published and released is going to have been created on a PC. But that doesn't mean all games have to be.

Furthermore some consoles, either by design or through hacking/mods, can run full fledged OSs which are perfectly capable of game design. Hell, one could even fully create a PC game on a console if they really wanted to.
February 4, 2011 9:25:57 PM

Yes console games are created on PC...... if not then I would like someone to explain how games were created on the original NES...... you guys are talking about what console "could do" and what you "should be able to do" on a console, not what actually happens. SDKs for the PS3 are sent to developers and written on PCs then tested in "developer mode" on the PS3. If you remeber the PS3 hack is really just the console running in developer mode. Cheers.
February 5, 2011 1:05:45 AM

jsheridan said:
Yes console games are created on PC...... if not then I would like someone to explain how games were created on the original NES...... you guys are talking about what console "could do" and what you "should be able to do" on a console, not what actually happens. SDKs for the PS3 are sent to developers and written on PCs then tested in "developer mode" on the PS3. If you remeber the PS3 hack is really just the console running in developer mode. Cheers.

While the feature never made it to the NES (US) the Famicom had exactly that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_BASIC

Quote:
Family BASIC or Famicom BASIC is a dialect of the BASIC programming language that is used to program the Family Computer, its cartridge came with a computer style keyboard, and required a cassette tape recorder to save games that were created. Packaged with an instructional textbook and the Family Basic Keyboard, the software was released to consumers in Japan by Nintendo in co-operation with Hudson Soft and Sharp Corporation on June 21, 1984, with a second version, with added memory, and features known as Family Basic V3 release on February 21, 1985.

February 7, 2011 1:30:49 PM

^^ To be fair, a LOT of consoles had BASIC add ins at the time, but they typically were NOT used by major developers. [Coding in a high level language? Blashphemy!] Remember, even consoles as recent as the N64 typically were coding in Assembly; we've only started to move to C/C++...

But yeah, the majority of development takes place on the PC, then tested on consoles.
February 7, 2011 2:25:37 PM

accolite said:

Hi Accolite,

Keep in mind that I am referring to creating a game (and not creating the engine to create the game). So yes, to create an engine you would have to use a language (C/C++ libraries and other assembly languages) but once the engine is created, you would use "x" to create the game. Here, my argument is that "x" can be a GUI on consoles. To back up my argument, I gave Little Big Planet as an example where the engine is the interface given for you to create your levels. In LBP, the levels you create IS the game you create.

As I have said however, most engines are designed for game creators to first use the PC and then benchmark/tweak the game so they run smooth on the console(s). Given that the question was "Are all console games created on PC", then I would stand with my answer in saying no. Proof = LBP.

Makes sense?
February 7, 2011 5:00:27 PM

Well yes and no.

Well there might be some people that create levels on a console, those people are not professionals that sell the game.

All I am trying to state is that in a professional environment it is not feasible and productive to create games on console.

In a production environment the game designers work on workstations (server class hardware that is proven) and these workstation are so much faster than a console that it would not make sense to create content on slower hardware.

It pretty much boils down to time is money and the designers will use the fastest machines at their disposal.
February 7, 2011 7:28:27 PM

You bring up a pretty good point accolite, professional game developers are most likely using workstations and not something that would normally be referred to as a PC. These aren't machines like what the average PC gamer is using to play retail PC games. You probably couldn't even load up and play a retail PC game on most of these workstations because that's not what the platform is intended for. It's often asked "why if console games are made on a PC, are all console games not available for PC?". The answer is, in part at least, that the computer (not exactly a PC) that most console and PC games are designed on are not the same platform as what a end user would be playing on so it's not as simple as running the game on a PC because it was created on a PC, because in all actuality the computer it was designed on was not a PC, at least in the way we think of PC gaming.
February 8, 2011 3:47:32 PM

purplerat said:
You bring up a pretty good point accolite, professional game developers are most likely using workstations and not something that would normally be referred to as a PC. These aren't machines like what the average PC gamer is using to play retail PC games. You probably couldn't even load up and play a retail PC game on most of these workstations because that's not what the platform is intended for. It's often asked "why if console games are made on a PC, are all console games not available for PC?". The answer is, in part at least, that the computer (not exactly a PC) that most console and PC games are designed on are not the same platform as what a end user would be playing on so it's not as simple as running the game on a PC because it was created on a PC, because in all actuality the computer it was designed on was not a PC, at least in the way we think of PC gaming.

If I may...

The developpers optimize the engine for the targetted platform. The hardware used to "create" the game is not related to whether a game will come out on PC or not.

Make sense?
February 13, 2011 1:40:15 PM

@purplerat

Yeah, you're right on that one. You mean like the server computers used in the internet. These PCs or servers have totally different things when compared to an average PC that every person has in his/her homes. Take an example, such that in PC games, different game objects or models are made by a software using a GPU. But in this case the GPU, example, say a GTX 285
isn't actually used. The Quadro 5000 or 4000 series GPUs are used.
July 14, 2011 10:15:56 PM

There seems to be alot of confusion here in regards to game development, I have experience in the industry (whether you believe that isn't the case) so allow me to explain some common misconceptions.

The flat-out simple answer is yes. All console games are created on a PC. But that depends on what you define "created" as.

All engines, whether it's Sony's PhyreEngine (PS3) or Epic's Unreal Engine (Multiplatform), they are all created first and foremost on a PC. In the case of any console, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, whatever, the usual development setup is that all the appropriate applications and tools are installed on a PC, with the console's corresponding Development Kit hooked up through a network.

In a programming scenario, you will almost never find a programmer coding on the actual console. They instead code through a programming application (i.e Visual Studio, Notepad++, ect.) on a PC, then when they need to test (compile) the code, the game runs on the console's development kit hardware on a separate screen. In fact, some engines emulate the consoles hardware on a PC, simulating the game's reaction to running on a console.

The reason for this is because the tools and accessories needed (debugging, plugins, libraries, and quite simply the entire functionality of a PC) cannot be achieved through any console while programming.
Nearing the end of development, depending on the game and on the companies development method, they might create a level editor or high-level application that allows designers complete control of a game from level construction to game design, but that still operates from code pre-programmed on a PC and then loaded onto the console. Again, the vast majority of work is done on a PC, then put over to the console.

From an art perspective, nothing can be done on anything other than a PC. The modelling applications, tools and software for creating any form of art are ALL on a PC (or other 3rd party devices designed for artistic purposes), never a console.

As for the type of hardware used by developers, I can assure you they're as similar as an average consumers PC, except for simply more powerful components and extra accessories and devices, which I should note can often be found at many hardware stores purchasable by any consumer. I should stress that you do not need a insane over-the-top PC to create a fantastic looking game, if that were the case than the indie genre would simply not exist. And for those claiming that indie games are never as demanding as other big titles, you've obviously never thoroughly dove into the indie scene.

That about sums it up. There may perhaps be a few exceptions to the rule, but console games have been developed on PC's for decades now, and it is the preferred method of game development since gaming on consoles began. Take that for what it's worth.

Hope this helps.
July 15, 2011 7:37:45 AM

Trialsking said:
But I thought the developers all used gamepads and GUI's to write all the lines of code. Why would they need PC because consoles are soooo much better and the PS3 has 7868657 cores to do all that fast math stuff...

quit trolling man, who said consoles are better? a year after a console launched a mid spec pc is far better than any console. We are not living in 80s. now in a year developers create new graphic drivers from nothing, create superior GPU.
June 26, 2013 4:53:19 PM

purplerat said:

Quote:
Family BASIC or Famicom BASIC is a dialect of the BASIC programming language that is used to program the Family Computer, its cartridge came with a computer style keyboard, and required a cassette tape recorder to save games that were created. Packaged with an instructional textbook and the Family Basic Keyboard, the software was released to consumers in Japan by Nintendo in co-operation with Hudson Soft and Sharp Corporation on June 21, 1984, with a second version, with added memory, and features known as Family Basic V3 release on February 21, 1985.

A Famicom was the Japanese version of the Nintendo and stood for "Family Computer". It had a keyboard and could program but this was just for personal use. Besides, no serious game is ever written in BASIC language.
June 26, 2013 4:57:54 PM

Zylen92 said:
Trialsking said:

quit trolling man, who said consoles are better? a year after a console launched a mid spec pc is far better than any console. We are not living in 80s. now in a year developers create new graphic drivers from nothing, create superior GPU.

I wish people would get over comparing PCs to consoles as if they were apples and oranges. Consoles are computers. They usually don't have a keyboard and a mouse, but they have a CPU, hard drive, video, memory, etc. They are simply application-specific computers. General purpose computers are more flexible and easier to upgrade and therefore will always be superior to a console which is a more closed system, but does its purpose well, which is to run games.
March 5, 2014 3:02:59 PM

Wow, I've never seen such a confused, convoluted set of responses to a simple question.

Are console games made on a PC? Yes.

Games are written on normal, albeit high-end consumer PC's. Currently, that'd probably be an i7, with a fairly high-end graphics card. They usually code in c++, though indie developers might lean toward languages like c# or java, because they are quicker to code, and their usually smaller games don't need the speed of c++). If a company doesn't create their own engine from scratch, they may buy a license for a proprietary one, such as Unreal, CryEngine, or Unity. These games created in these engines are still created on PC's. The game is compiled and tested on the console, but everything else is done on the PC. Btw, Little big planet is a game, not an engine lol. If your friend is telling you this in order to prove that a PC can be more capable than a console in terms of performance, he is right. Although many people are too lazy to learn about PC's, others are happy to have slightly lesser graphics/performance, but be able to play their games with the press of a button.
!