I would like to discuss latency and how to improve it when gaming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
My latency was 150-300 and I have been able to improve it from that to 100ish following the steps from her http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/yt/rjc-how-to-hack-your-mmo-ping.html by household hacker I would like to get it down to 50ms max and preferably less... any one have any ideas,

my computer is

Acer

Aspire M3910

intel i7 870 2.93 ghz

4 G RAM

64 bit

Vid card is Nvidia Geforce GT 320

My internet speed is currently 4.31 MBS download and 0.66MPS upload.

Thanks

Solution
You need to be clear on one thing: Latency is governed by the speed of light in a wire. The majority of that 100ms is probably determined by how far you are from the server in question. Unless you can break the laws of physics, you will hit a wall at some point.
You need to be clear on one thing: Latency is governed by the speed of light in a wire. The majority of that 100ms is probably determined by how far you are from the server in question. Unless you can break the laws of physics, you will hit a wall at some point.

Solution

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I must say that an acceptable level of latency for me is 100-200. That gives me a fine framerate and no noticable lag. Once it gets to 200+ it starts to get jumpy.

It does not matter how good your computer is - though that will certainly contribute - it is about the speed of your telecommunications line.

I would recommend playing in single-player mode and making sure you are getting the best framerate you can there, then configure your security sotware and firewalls to allow your program to pass through. After that, any more latency is purely a bottleneck in the landline between you and the host server.

-Klosteral

knk2009

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

Yes I am sure you are right. I tried some servers that are a little closer to me and I can get latency of 50ms of less on them at certain times.

Actually it is not the distance of the server from my connection geographically that would make the difference... but really how many nodes it has to hop through to get to me.

If I get a faster download upload speed do you think this could help latency if I got 16 or 25 mbps and 1 mbps upload for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.