A7V133 a dangerous board????

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lo All,
After reading the article "Clocking and Hacking the BX Chipset" on "arstechnica" I have some serious doubts about the A7V133. Please correct me if what I'm going to state here is wrong.
As I understood, the new Athlons type "C" are unlocked and meant to run at over 100 MHz.
If one puts such a proccessor on the A7V133 and make the proccessor run at, let's say, 133x9.5 for an Athlon 1200, he doesn't do anything abnormal isn't he?
Well, he is! because the board doesn't change the multipliers for the AGP and PCI busses automatically, and I couldn't find anything in the bios to lower them eighter.
Results in SANDRA; AGP = multiplier 2/3 = 90MHz
PCI = multiplier 1/3 = 45MHz.
I heard that there are utilities that let one change the multipliers, anyone know where to find them?
If what I am telling here is correct, then this is a very dangerous board because all people are stating that one can use the Atlon type "C" (or any unlocked Athlon type "B") @ 133MHz.
Can anyone help me with those multipliers please?
Thanks in advance
Roger

:tongue: <font color=blue>ACUNA MATATA?<font color=blue>.. :eek: <font color=red>MATATA MATATA!!<font color=red>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Results in SANDRA; AGP = multiplier 2/3 = 90MHz
PCI = multiplier 1/3 = 45MHz.</b>
What Sandra version you use? There is a known bug with version 2000 that causes Sandra reports high AGP and PCI bus. My Sandra 2000 used to warned me about my A7V's AGP and PCI bus too high as 89 and 45MHz respectively, but when I upgraded to version 2001 it reports AGP 67MHz and PCI 34MHz.

G

Hi

I have a feeling Asus boards are particilary clever with their PCI/AGP dividers.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/asus/133mhz.htm

<font color=green>"Dear Customer,

The PCI frequence is always kept in 33Mhz (for 440BX M/B) if the CPU external bus is over than 100Mhz, and it's the half of external CPU bus speed if less than 100Mhz. For example, if setting as 83Mhz, PCI is running as 83/2 = 41.5Mhz.

Best regards,

Woody Huang

Technical Support Division"</font color=green>

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Problem solved Guys, Thanks.
Sandra 2001 gives the right values.
Conclusion: A7V133 is NOT dangerous :)

:tongue: <font color=blue>ACUNA MATATA?<font color=blue>.. :eek: <font color=red>MATATA MATATA!!<font color=red>