Linux Hardware Guide

CopperLion

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005
Is THG testing hardware for Linux compatibility? Is anyone else developing a comprehensive list of compatible hardware?
I know that SuSE has their guide on their website, but last I checked it was out of date and not very complete.
I'm wondering because there seems to be a real migration beginning to happen- people are getting fed-up with Micro$oft charging a lot of money for a broken product. The biggest hang-ups most people seem to have are related to hardware compatibility issues, and their perception of the ease-of-use.
A comprehensive compatibility guide for newer hardware would be extremely helpful for many Linux users and those looking to make the switch.

If ignorance is bliss, education will blow your mind.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Most hardware will work fine considering linux. intergrated hardware isa pain from what I hear referencing onboard sound and ethernet card from what I hear. I have really never had any problems with hardware when referencing linux. Back in the Redhat 6.2 days there were issues but that was a long time ago.

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Most Linux distributions won’t have a problem with any hardware. The Linux installs are updated so regularly that they’re currently better than Windows XP which has gotten a bit dated.

I’ve installed Linux on a wide variety of both high-end and out dated hardware with no problems. Only the more obscure “special function” components will give you problems.