Sign in with
Your question

Need For speed HP 2010 lag whith shadow level high please help!!!!!!!!

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2011 2:59:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I have a weird problem I was playing NFS HP 2010 and I decided to max out the shadow level
and immediately it started lagging extremely. So what I don't understand is why? because I have
6GB of ram and an nvidia gtx 460 SE (special edition) I had overclocked it to 845MHz with MSI afterburner
from a stock of 648MHz, I didn't touch the memory clock in fact the only thing I touched was the shader clock and the core clock and the problem occurred after overclocking, But I also had never maxed out the shadow level, I wanted to see if it was going to be stable even on stock clock with the shadow level high it still lags I really think I messed up something please help!!!!!!

My system specs are:

Motherboard:Evga p55 sli

Processor:Intel core i3 530 @2.93GHz

GPU:EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 SE

RAM:Corsair xms3 6GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

HDD:WD Caviar blue 7200RPM 8MB cache 320GB
Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM

More about : speed 2010 lag whith shadow level high

February 4, 2011 4:23:52 PM

It might simply not be enough to run. A gtx 460 is better paired with an i5..
Just run the shadow level as before..
a b α HP
February 4, 2011 4:44:40 PM

Aside from the fact that shadows are very stressful not only on the video card but on the CPU, the game may have issues with how it renders things. Check for any game patches maybe.

Or are you saying the game is now playing poorly even when you set the shadows back to what they were? If you are just having issues with high detail shadows, don't use them. As the old joke goes "Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Well, don't do that."
Related resources
February 5, 2011 6:38:17 AM

55Range said:
It might simply not be enough to run. A gtx 460 is better paired with an i5..
Just run the shadow level as before..

OK so what you mean is that I need to get a better CPU for example an i5.
February 5, 2011 6:42:14 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Aside from the fact that shadows are very stressful not only on the video card but on the CPU, the game may have issues with how it renders things. Check for any game patches maybe.

Or are you saying the game is now playing poorly even when you set the shadows back to what they were? If you are just having issues with high detail shadows, don't use them. As the old joke goes "Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Well, don't do that."

No it doesn't lag when the shadow level is on medium or low, only high. Otherwise thanks for the reply and nice joke LOL!!!!!!
February 5, 2011 7:04:40 AM

Flyingsparrow101 said:
OK so what you mean is that I need to get a better CPU for example an i5.

Thats what i would do.
An i5 [quad core] paired with a gtx 460..
February 5, 2011 5:02:06 PM

Your over clock may have borked the cards memory modules. I don't care for the card personally. Low memory speed, low stream processors and in my opinion, when crankin' up the goodies the 1gig frame buffer is useless under some circumstances. You should have left well enough alone if you thought it was okay before you started messing with it.
I'm not sure about swapping the processor. I read a few things on the web. It should exceed the requirements.
February 6, 2011 3:11:19 AM

Shadows uses alot of GPU memory. If you have other graphics settings on high, the total GPU memory is most likely maxed out, even with 1gb GPU mem. Alot of the newer sims are requiring 1.5-2gb GPU memory for maxed out settings. If you don't already have it, download FRAPS and benchmark your frame rates with different settings.
February 6, 2011 7:02:12 AM

swifty_morgan said:
Your over clock may have borked the cards memory modules. I don't care for the card personally. Low memory speed, low stream processors and in my opinion, when crankin' up the goodies the 1gig frame buffer is useless under some circumstances. You should have left well enough alone if you thought it was okay before you started messing with it.
I'm not sure about swapping the processor. I read a few things on the web. It should exceed the requirements.

I did a stability test with GPU tool and this were the results on msi afterburner: Memory usage min 83 max 101, FPS 132, memory clock min 138MHz max 1700MHz,
Shader clock min 101 max 1296 core clock min 51MHz max 648MHz GPU usage 97% GPU temperature 61 degrees. Do you still think that the overclock may have broken the memory modules?
February 6, 2011 7:11:44 AM

Everyone I appreciate all the replies, but I noticed something today I runned burnout paradise the ultimate box at all settings high even shadow level
was at maximum settings and it was as smooth as ever, so I'm confused.
February 6, 2011 11:24:49 AM

OK everyone I have decided to place my graphics card on my dad's pc he has a core i7 950, so I think it's more than enough to handle the gtx 460 I'll install nfs hot pursuit
and also the same drivers that I'm using and see if it lags with shadow level maximum cause I've noticed that even with everything on the lowest setting it still lags with the shadow level on maximum that includes resolution, motion blur, and high resolution textures so I'm starting to dought that the gpu is the problem otherwise I'll post
more info if anything happens. :) 
February 20, 2011 7:42:13 AM

Guys you're right the CPU is the problem, I played the same game with my dad's i7 and no lag at all. So my brother is upgrading his PC, he's giving me the motherboard and the CPU, the motherboard is a Intel dx38bt and his processor is an Intel qx6700 (quad core and unlocked multiplier) although his motherboard is a 775 should I take it? Also will overclocking my core i3 make it any better?
October 1, 2011 10:36:56 AM

I thing isn't CPU problem i have the same problem with my new pc i7 2600 3.40ghz and gtx 580 1,5gb mem, 8gb ram .... i was playing this game in the past with my old pc with core 2 duo 2,20 and gts250 1gig and i got high shadows level and no lags ingame .... sorry for bad english .....cyprus :D 
October 1, 2011 4:21:40 PM

Flyingsparrow101 said:
Guys you're right the CPU is the problem, I played the same game with my dad's i7 and no lag at all. So my brother is upgrading his PC, he's giving me the motherboard and the CPU, the motherboard is a Intel dx38bt and his processor is an Intel qx6700 (quad core and unlocked multiplier) although his motherboard is a 775 should I take it? Also will overclocking my core i3 make it any better?

For now, it should. But I'd rather sell the QX6700 and the DX38BT mobo, and buy yourself a better CPU.
October 2, 2011 4:34:33 PM

actually i would get a better graphics card , you could sell this card and go for a GTX 560 ti or a HD 6870 or you could get another GTX 460 and SLI them.
October 2, 2011 4:59:34 PM

The cards you've mentioned will bottleneck his current setup.
He needs to have a better CPU first. :) 
October 3, 2011 5:16:14 AM

there is no way an i3 will bottlenck a HD 6870.
October 3, 2011 11:43:05 AM

hyperreader said:
there is no way an i3 will bottlenck a HD 6870.

Not true! :non: 
Considering that the i3 is a dual core processor and the 530 is 2.93 GHz, it will surely bottleneck a HD 6870
!