What's the difference between DVI-I and DVI-V?

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I am considering getting a flat panel now that I have a vid card with a DVI output. My card says it has a DVI-I. The ViewSonic flat panel I was looking at says it has a DVI-V. Gadzooks, man, isn't there any standardization in the bloomin' computer industry?!? Anyway, anyone know anything about DVI standards, how many different ones there are, compatibility, cables, yada yada yada? Help!

G

DVI is a standard, and newer standards are backward compatable. I have a dvi-d monitor and a dvi-i card, works great..

What combo are you looking at?

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have a DVI-I vid card. I'm not quite sure about the flat panel, but when I look at them I see lots of different letters following the DVI- and I'm not sure what they imply. Can I assume first of all that all DVI connectors are physically the same, and that there is a single standard for the cables? The letter after the DVI- implies what, exactly, differences in the features supported?

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wrote to Viewsonic to get an answer about the DVI-I and DVI-V formats. This is what they said:

Thank you for your inquiry. The DVI-I connector has both digital and analog capabilities. The DVI-V of our VG181 panel is only digital. However, their connectors are exactly the same so they will connect properly. Therefore, our panel using the DVI-V connector will only receive the digital signal, even if the video card is capable of both.

Regards,

Louise Call
Tech Support
ViewSonic Corporation
email: calll@viewsonic.com

What did we do before we had computers?