Help this PC gamer...

ITPierce

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hello. Looking for some advice on updating my current OS for gaming purposes....

In 2007 I built my first PC. I wanted something to last me for a few years and to game on. I dislike console gaming and I was brought up on Keyboard and Mouse back in the mid-late 90's. Anywho... I want to play current games (Starcraft 2, CoD: BO, etc...) at the highest potential on my system without purchasing a whole new PC. I've recently upgraded my RAM and am on the fence as far as the OS. Again, the only move I am talking about here is the OS. I will not be purchasing any new hardware for this system. My resolution is at 1440 x 900 for all applications and games.

Here are my specs...

Windows XP SP3
C2D E6600 - 2.4Ghz
MSI P6N SLI Platinum Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
1 EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB Video Card
CORSAIR HX Series 520W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA HDD

Please share your thoughts and advice. The big jump is to Windows 7 from XP...? I have never overclocked anything but I think my CPU is capable.

Please help!

Solution
That CPU can easily be overclocked past 3.5ghz, which would be a great performance increase, along with that i would recommend a 100usd gpu upgrade (considering the resolutions you are playing at and you are set for few years).

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
That CPU can easily be overclocked past 3.5ghz, which would be a great performance increase, along with that i would recommend a 100usd gpu upgrade (considering the resolutions you are playing at and you are set for few years).

Solution

As was stated, Windows 7 is DX11 as is Vista now. As long as you have a DX11 Compliant video card, you'll do fine. For a lot of bang for the buck, an ati HD5770 is a good card as long as you have a decent PSU.