SSD Does 130MB/s Write on Single Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Wow, great news! hopefully they can get this rolling quick. I have SSD so far and am very happy with the performance so far, but this will take things to the next level :D.

twbg4cq

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I'll be more likely to buy an SSD when the price ratio is around a dollar per gig, but this is good news too :)

renniz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Question. What is the advantage of using one channel? Less cost and/or higher performance? The footprint is larger.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]tmax[/nom]I want a SSD. Just waiting for the prices to drop a little more.[/citation]

Have a chair, sit with me, this is going to take a looooooooong time. Want some gum?

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
HLDIMM!!! Now this is a great improvement over existing SSDs. Imagine instead of having to purchase an entire new SSD paying for the enclosure, controller and new PCB/NAND just buying expandable HLNAND modules. Pop the old out and the new in.
I know it does not say this is possible in the article but if you look at the specimen provided it clearly has DIMM slots.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
hmmm .. it will be interesting to see how this twist on the memory chips used stacks up over time. As for the single channel vs multiple channel -- if there is any data failure it will be detected sooner or less of a pain in the butt -- plus this makes scalability extremely flexible and low CPU utilization through put/over utilization.. bring it on!!!

[citation][nom]renniz[/nom]Question. What is the advantage of using one channel? Less cost and/or higher performance? The footprint is larger.[/citation]
Yes what is the advantage? Wouldn't it make more sense to take this technology and use mutlichannel to beat current SSD speeds?

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
The way I see the advantage is instead of 8 channels at 128gigs all together you can ( if they will develop such drive ) 128gigs per channel working as one unit with astronomically high throughput ... plus if this technology takes off then the multichannel ssd will HAVE TO come down in price... its a win win situation.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
WOW! It only makes me glad I've waited so long. When they release SATA3 SSDs in mass quantities it will be because of this! I'm going to be way excited for this! I'm already excited!

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Yes what is the advantage? Wouldn't it make more sense to take this technology and use mutlichannel to beat current SSD speeds?[/citation]

I think the point is that this is getting this kind of performance using only 1 channel, if you put it into a typical ssd setup using multiple channels your gonna (very) quickly max out what sata itself can do..

8 channels on a typical ssd vs 1, maybe 2 channels on this setup should be a lot less complex to develop and manufacture

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Have a chair, sit with me, this is going to take a looooooooong time. Want some gum?[/citation]
LOL, here have a cookie, you'll be right as rain...

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Have a chair, sit with me, this is going to take a looooooooong time. Want some gum?[/citation]

Stay a while, and listen.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Observe the sound from the corner of the room, your hard drive indexing away for Vista search.. it almost drowns out the pitter patter of rain

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I have a feeling rather than bring prices down, a drive using this may end up being priced above existing premium SSDs, for enthusiasts and enterprise useage. Very few components have margin anymore and I'm sure companies making SSDs don't want to turn the SSD market into the high volume low margin market that Seagate and WD created. SSDs should be cheap now, but they are obviously not.

Too bad prices are so high on these things. My single Patriot Inferno 100GB is faster than my 3 WD 500GB Blacks striped together and I'd buy more but they are over $300 CAN each.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I don't see this taking off. It is "single-channel" only in name. Notice there's still 16 flash chips on there? They're just daisy-chained together in a ring, as the article states, but half the people commenting don't RTFA.

It still takes just as many flash modules to reach this performance level as with the existing "multi-channel" controllers, so there's absolutely no gain here. It also requires their proprietary flash modules instead of the standard ONFI NAND flash that everybody else is using right now. It's like Rambus DRAM all over again.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]I don't see this taking off. It is "single-channel" only in name. Notice there's still 16 flash chips on there? They're just daisy-chained together in a ring, as the article states, but half the people commenting don't RTFA.It still takes just as many flash modules to reach this performance level as with the existing "multi-channel" controllers, so there's absolutely no gain here. It also requires their proprietary flash modules instead of the standard ONFI NAND flash that everybody else is using right now. It's like Rambus DRAM all over again.[/citation]

Sounds like the difference between Token-ring networking and Ethernet networking.
Are each of the 8 MCPs in a Token-ring in each module, or do the 2 modules (pack of 8 MCPs) make up the token ring? Cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.