Fallout new vegas frequency out of range

Status
Not open for further replies.

stover197

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
i am playing fallout new vegas and i get a frequency out o range message whenever i install a mod,i've changed gaphic settings display resolution frequency even base video the game worked fine for along time with alot of mods and runs fine at ultra high settings with no mods now and did with mods before if i would get an error message or freezeup or ctd i could understand ive updated /rolled back drivers set video card settings to default ran norton antivirus every scan available my monitor works fine game does the same on my nephews better monitor i have purchased the factory recovery disks from gateway wich they were to cheap to provide and have some how lost my partition to reset to factory or create backup disks using gateway recovery manager unininstalled reinstalled every trace of the game and its components re downloaded the mods like i said the game crashing would be no big deal butt the frequency out of range having to manually power down my computer and restart is a pain any suggestions woud be appreciated the recovery disks should be here by the end of the week so i will be rolling back to day1 if i don't get this figured out
ty in advance
if any1 more experienced with this forum has a suggestion where this should be posted pleas let me know ive posted on newvegas nexus forums no responces

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX6800-01e
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 4326MB used, 10905MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series

Solution

You better believe it. I am running one in here and that thing is great. Talk about a lot of bang for the buck. I don't know which PSU you have, either the LiteOn 500w or the I guess, LiteOn 750w, I think they were both LiteOn. I installed Oblivion and set it for Ultra High and maxed out the settings, and when I got into the countryside, it was like WOW!!!! with that card. I have had that game on an Nvidia 8600GT, 9800GT, and the HD4850 that came installed in here, and the HD5770 blew all three of those things away. As for the Monitor, I am not familiar with it and will have to look it up. Oh yeah, somebody beat me to the BiOS unlock for these things. Looks...

Interesting. Under the DxDiag version, you are showing 64 bit unicode and mine is showing 32 bit unicode. Same machine, although I'm running an HD5770 card. Check you refresh rate ( should be 60Hz ) and make sure it is set the same on the card and the monitor. Also, you Resolution could be set too high, but not sure of that as I was set to max res when I played that game. I would also download and install HW Monitor and get the temps, especially the Northbridge temperature as well as CPU & GPU. As for the Northbridge, it does tend to get a bit warm in these rigs. I disabled the Smart Fan in BiOS because of that after I saw that temp go to 110C.

stover197

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i ran the 64bit version of dxdiag what does disabling the smart fan do?i do have 1 temp at 110 THIMP0?SHOULD I TURN THE FAN UP TO 100%FANIN0 1300rpm fan in 1 870rpm cpu running 40c gpu running 60deg c at idle i'll mess with the game and check temps but would appreciate info on disabling smart fan will research that ty

I'm showing 32 bit in both Vista & Windows 7 ( I'm dual booting ). As to disabling smart Fan, you will cool that thing down some 30C. I have never gotten above 80C while gaming since I did that and that is fine. Usually it is around 72C - 75C. You can disable Smart Fan in BiOS. It isn't much noisier. I did change the case fan to one that was 75.6 cfm and added a fan on the Heatsink over the Northbridge, neither of which really helped. What is happening with the frequency Out range is that the signal from the computer is not matching the Monitor settings. It could also be a failing video card, but I doubt that at the moment, but won't rule it out. I have played through that game, but it had more bugs than a roach motel. Oh, I forgot, I found an unlocked BiOS for these rigs not too long ago. Haven't tried it yet, as I need to get a flash drive as I don't want one more than 1 Gb.

stover197

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

ty for your help i'm beginning to wonder if this model was a good choice or gateway completeley
i am thinking of replacing my video card i will remove and clean apply thermal paste first but i dont think heat is the issue i run hwmonitor after frequency out of range and temp seems finee i believe my video card is bad the original hd4850 1g and i want to replace it but im not sure about the connnection/compatability type it uses to plug in
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HD MI PCI-Express Video Card HD485XZNFC
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-P [...] 670&sr=8-1
will this work for me i hope so because i already ordered it will be here 2/21/11
if some one could let me know before i open it very much appreciated
ty in advance
this is another thread i have in graphics thread maybe you can answer much appreciated
could overheating in the past have caused this problem?ty again

It's possible. just like the CPU, you have a heat sink over the GPU and dust can and does get in between the fins on that thing.Once that happens you will see a rise in temps and over time, if not cleaned out, it will over heat. You are replacing he HD4850 with another one ( couldn't open the link as it is broken, but will go over there and see if I can find it. It should be alright, although, if your budget could handle it, I would have recommended an HD5770. I have one in here and it is a one heckuva card and not all that expensive either. I don't know about your monitor and whether it is new, or you just used an existing monitor. If an older one, that could be an issue as well. May not support the Video card and you would have to tweak the settings ( Resolution primarily and usually, 1024x768 will keep you out of trouble ) The card you ordered will plug into the PCIe x16 sot and you will have the additional 6 pin plug on the back of the card at the top for the additional power to the card. You should be fine. No need to second guess your choice of rigs, it is a good one. There were a few short comings I guess, but nothing that can't be worked through as time and budget allow.

stover197

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

will that gddr 5 hd5770 work with the x58 chipset my memmory says gddr 3

You better believe it. I am running one in here and that thing is great. Talk about a lot of bang for the buck. I don't know which PSU you have, either the LiteOn 500w or the I guess, LiteOn 750w, I think they were both LiteOn. I installed Oblivion and set it for Ultra High and maxed out the settings, and when I got into the countryside, it was like WOW!!!! with that card. I have had that game on an Nvidia 8600GT, 9800GT, and the HD4850 that came installed in here, and the HD5770 blew all three of those things away. As for the Monitor, I am not familiar with it and will have to look it up. Oh yeah, somebody beat me to the BiOS unlock for these things. Looks good. I have an 8Gb Flash drive, bit don't want to go to the trouble of partitioning that thing, so will get a 1 Gb one, which is still overkill for that operation.

UPDATE: I checked that monitor, and the color depth is 8 Bit, 16, and 24 bit. In Windows, it is set to 32 Bit. Most likely that is where the problem is. I would just live with the monitor until such time as you can get a new one that will support what you have.

Solution

stover197

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

ty should i be using dx 11 with my video card if not how do i uninstall or get dx 10 or 10.1
also u think i shoud change color depth to 24 when playing fallout nv
i appreciate your help
5770 and better monitor sounds good i will probably return new 4850 when i get it might as well be an upgrade especially if im not even sure that's the problem
sorry to keep bothering u

First, No bother at all. Yeah, you can try turning it up all the way to 24 bit and see haw that goes. At some point though, I would look for a newer monitor that supported 32 bit color depth. When I saw that, it kinda surprised me as 32 bit has been pretty much standard since at least XP. You wnat to set it to 16 bit in the display settings and the monitor as that would be ugly. The 4850 is a good card and was as good if not better in some respects than the previous cards I have used, but that 5770 is a whole nother thing. On the other forum that I moderate, that is one popular card and a lot of members have gone to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.