Doom3 with A64 X2 not what I hoped...

Far Cry 32 bit won't even load under XP x64. Far Cry 64 bit is amazing.
Quality is very good and 1280x1024 runs so smooth. Wow.
But...
Doom 3 *looks* stupendous! Running in Ultra, everything cranked up, highest
AA and 1280x1024-32 bits. I haven't seen a 64 bit version, but the normal
install with the 1.1 patch runs fine. Stable as a slate top billiards
table. Jerky and mushy mouse, though the image is incredible. I couldn't
get it to look this good on the P4 with the 6800GT, but the X2 with 6800GT
and 77.77_64 bit driver is impressive. I thought I'd be able to beat this
bottleneck with this X2 and 6800GT AGP, and I didn't. Sigh... Framerate?
At a guess, under 30...maybe under 20...

McG.
14 answers Last reply
More about doom3 hoped
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Far Cry 32 bit won't even load under XP x64. Far Cry 64 bit is amazing.
    > Quality is very good and 1280x1024 runs so smooth. Wow.
    > But...
    > Doom 3 *looks* stupendous! Running in Ultra, everything cranked up,
    > highest AA and 1280x1024-32 bits. I haven't seen a 64 bit version, but
    > the normal install with the 1.1 patch runs fine. Stable as a slate top
    > billiards table. Jerky and mushy mouse, though the image is incredible.
    > I couldn't get it to look this good on the P4 with the 6800GT, but the X2
    > with 6800GT and 77.77_64 bit driver is impressive. I thought I'd be able
    > to beat this bottleneck with this X2 and 6800GT AGP, and I didn't.
    > Sigh... Framerate? At a guess, under 30...maybe under 20...
    >
    > McG.

    Update; MUCH better with system restart and 1024x768....Ultra/maxed
    settings, 4X aa.

    McG.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Update; MUCH better with system restart and 1024x768....Ultra/maxed
    > settings, 4X aa.

    I run Doom3 at 1600x1200 on my 6800gt, and turn off all AA & FSAA.
    Higher resolution is usually better than fsaa.

    rms
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >Far Cry 32 bit won't even load under XP x64.

    Oh wonderful. Now why would that be the case? I guess I better download
    the x64 version of FarCry now so I'll have it when I eventually upgrade.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    >> Update; MUCH better with system restart and 1024x768....Ultra/maxed
    >> settings, 4X aa.
    >
    > I run Doom3 at 1600x1200 on my 6800gt, and turn off all AA & FSAA.
    > Higher resolution is usually better than fsaa.
    >
    > rms

    Thanks, I'll be playing around with the settings. But not wanting to give
    up ultra quality. Monitor is limited to 1280x1024.
    McG.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Far Cry 32 bit won't even load under XP x64.
    >
    > Oh wonderful. Now why would that be the case? I guess I better download
    > the x64 version of FarCry now so I'll have it when I eventually upgrade.

    Well, I already upgraded :) And I just HAD to try that one out!
    it was worth the dl and the trouble!
    McG.

    > --
    > sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    > @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    > ^ my email |
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Far Cry 32 bit won't even load under XP x64.
    >>
    >> Oh wonderful. Now why would that be the case? I guess I better download
    >> the x64 version of FarCry now so I'll have it when I eventually upgrade.
    >
    >Well, I already upgraded :) And I just HAD to try that one out!
    >it was worth the dl and the trouble!

    I have no doubt that 64-bit FarCry is great under x64. I'm just
    disappointed that the 32-bit version breaks under x64. It shouldn't. My
    guess is that the fault is Crytek's.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    ^ my email |
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Oh wonderful. Now why would that be the case? I guess I better
    >>> download
    >>> the x64 version of FarCry now so I'll have it when I eventually upgrade.
    >>
    >>Well, I already upgraded :) And I just HAD to try that one out!
    >>it was worth the dl and the trouble!
    >
    > I have no doubt that 64-bit FarCry is great under x64. I'm just
    > disappointed that the 32-bit version breaks under x64. It shouldn't. My
    > guess is that the fault is Crytek's.

    Well, I installed Far Cry, and the only patch I put on it was the x64. So
    it's likely it won't work at all as 32 bit. I can go install it fresh as 32
    bit and patch it to 1.32 and it will likely work under x64. If I want to
    play it in XP Pro 32 bit, I'll have to install it again, seperate from the
    64 bit install. which I'll do as soon as I have time, like this weekend :)
    McG.

    > --
    > sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    > @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    > ^ my email |
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 8/23/2005 3:48 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

    >"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>Well, I already upgraded :) And I just HAD to try that one out!
    >>>it was worth the dl and the trouble!
    >>>

    >>I have no doubt that 64-bit FarCry is great under x64. I'm just
    >>disappointed that the 32-bit version breaks under x64. It shouldn't. My
    >>guess is that the fault is Crytek's.
    >>

    >Well, I installed Far Cry, and the only patch I put on it was the x64. So
    >it's likely it won't work at all as 32 bit. I can go install it fresh as 32
    >bit and patch it to 1.32 and it will likely work under x64. If I want to
    >play it in XP Pro 32 bit, I'll have to install it again, seperate from the
    >64 bit install. which I'll do as soon as I have time, like this weekend :)
    >McG.

    What's the problem? I don't understand why once you've got a 64 bit
    processor you'd want to play the 32 bit version. What's preferable
    about the 32 bit version?
    Are you running 32 bit Windows still or in your buying frenzy did you
    pick up an oem copy of XP Pro 64 bit? Looks like Microsoft lets you
    download a trial version. Wonder what the heck that is.

    --
    "I don't feel tardy"

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Inglo <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:

    >What's the problem? I don't understand why once you've got a 64 bit
    >processor you'd want to play the 32 bit version. What's preferable
    >about the 32 bit version?

    In my case I don't have a 64-bit processor and probably won't have one for
    quite some time since I upgraded my system just this past year. So maybe
    2 years from now I'll upgrade and I'll want to play FarCry only to
    discover that it doesn't run. Frankly, I don't think CryTek is going to
    still be around supporting FarCry two years from now, so I guess I better
    grab the 64-bit version now and keep it on ice until I need it.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
    ^ my email |
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 8/23/2005 3:48 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
    >
    >>"Scott Amspoker" <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>>I have no doubt that 64-bit FarCry is great under x64. I'm just
    >>>disappointed that the 32-bit version breaks under x64. It shouldn't. My
    >>>guess is that the fault is Crytek's.
    >>>

    >>Well, I installed Far Cry, and the only patch I put on it was the x64. So
    >>it's likely it won't work at all as 32 bit. I can go install it fresh as
    >>32 bit and patch it to 1.32 and it will likely work under x64. If I want
    >>to play it in XP Pro 32 bit, I'll have to install it again, seperate from
    >>the 64 bit install. which I'll do as soon as I have time, like this
    >>weekend :)
    >>McG.
    >>
    > What's the problem? I don't understand why once you've got a 64 bit
    > processor you'd want to play the 32 bit version. What's preferable about
    > the 32 bit version?
    > Are you running 32 bit Windows still or in your buying frenzy did you pick
    > up an oem copy of XP Pro 64 bit? Looks like Microsoft lets you download a
    > trial version. Wonder what the heck that is.
    >
    > --
    > "I don't feel tardy"
    >
    > Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    > www.inglostadt.com

    Well, that's what I did Steve. You can't BUY XP x64 right now. I got Far
    Cry 64 bit from the AMD64 for Far Cry site, and saw the link there that
    takes you to the M$ site, I registered, and they sent me an email with the
    link and cd key. I installed XP 32 and 64 on seperate partitions. Just a
    trial run to see whats up with it. Yes, I still do have XP Pro 32 bit
    working. Have to if I'm gonna use a scanner, printer and graphics tablet.
    There are no 64 bit drivers for my periphs and Windows 64 requires all
    hardware drivers are 64 bit. So, for me, right now, X64 is just a toy.
    Only thing preferable about the 32 bit windows is EVERYTHING works. But
    things are slower :)

    You can still dl the trial version (was supposed to end on July 25) from the
    AMD site links. The idea is that you get it installed, it's a time limited
    trial version, then you send them your XP Pro cd and they send you a new XP
    x64 cd with new key and this one is not time limited. The new
    registration/activation for the 64 bit supercedes your XP Pro 32 bit. Doing
    it that way, you won't have both installed legally. I think.
    That's about 1.5 gigs of stuff I dl'd Saturday morning :) Just to see what
    Far Cry 64 looks like.
    If you do upgrade soon Steve, do make sure it's a s939 chip/board.
    McG.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Hi!
    McGrandpa pinnte hier in alt.games.doom folgende Message:

    > Thanks, I'll be playing around with the settings. But not wanting to give
    > up ultra quality. Monitor is limited to 1280x1024.
    > McG.
    Seems that either AGP or the Operating-Sys is the bottleneck. I'm running
    Doom3 at 1600x1200 in ultra Quality on SuSE 9.3 x86_64 on an MSI K8N
    Diamond with 1024 MB Dualchannel-RAM and AMD64 3500+ Venice-Core using a
    MSI NX6600GT PCIE-Card with 128 MB RAM and my Framerates are between 54 and
    60 FPS depending on which services run parallel in Background.
    So i guess your low FPS depend either on AGP or on M$.....

    Cya,
    Tom
    --
    Die nichtkommerzielle Community für alles und jeden:
    http://www.mehlbox-system.de

    "Tom Meierjürgen @mehlbox.homeip.net>" <rashnu<spamblocker_remove> wrote in
    message news:5338984.oJBqoM0yzi@mehlbox.homeip.net...
    > Hi!
    > McGrandpa pinnte hier in alt.games.doom folgende Message:
    >

    >> Thanks, I'll be playing around with the settings. But not wanting to
    >> give
    >> up ultra quality. Monitor is limited to 1280x1024.
    >> McG.
    > Seems that either AGP or the Operating-Sys is the bottleneck. I'm running
    > Doom3 at 1600x1200 in ultra Quality on SuSE 9.3 x86_64 on an MSI K8N
    > Diamond with 1024 MB Dualchannel-RAM and AMD64 3500+ Venice-Core using a
    > MSI NX6600GT PCIE-Card with 128 MB RAM and my Framerates are between 54
    > and
    > 60 FPS depending on which services run parallel in Background.
    > So i guess your low FPS depend either on AGP or on M$.....
    >
    > Cya,
    > Tom
    > --
    > Die nichtkommerzielle Community für alles und jeden:
    > http://www.mehlbox-system.de

    Ok, will look at bottleneck items closely. Just reinstalled the whole
    system, fresh XP Pro, all drivers, software. I may not have had the XP A64
    CPU driver installed when i ran that. Just found it on AMD's site. Also
    found that there are some settings in the nv control panel on the desktop
    that make a big difference in the game. Got lots of stuff to play with now
    :)
    McG.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 8/30/2005 11:31 PM Tom Meierjürgen <rashnu brightened our day with:

    >Hi!
    >McGrandpa pinnte hier in alt.games.doom folgende Message:
    >

    >>Thanks, I'll be playing around with the settings. But not wanting to give
    >>up ultra quality. Monitor is limited to 1280x1024.
    >>McG.
    >>

    >Seems that either AGP or the Operating-Sys is the bottleneck. I'm running
    >Doom3 at 1600x1200 in ultra Quality on SuSE 9.3 x86_64 on an MSI K8N
    >Diamond with 1024 MB Dualchannel-RAM and AMD64 3500+ Venice-Core using a
    >MSI NX6600GT PCIE-Card with 128 MB RAM and my Framerates are between 54 and
    >60 FPS depending on which services run parallel in Background.
    >So i guess your low FPS depend either on AGP or on M$.....
    >
    >Cya,
    > Tom

    The AGP bus is not the bottleneck, I get better 15% better framerates
    running Doom 3 on Linux compared to Windows though. Maybe McG should
    try a X64 version of Linux.
    I'm dual booting Fedora Core 4 myself right now.

    --
    Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
    Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
    > On 8/30/2005 11:31 PM Tom Meierjürgen <rashnu brightened our day with:
    >
    >>Hi!
    >>McGrandpa pinnte hier in alt.games.doom folgende Message:
    >>

    >>>Thanks, I'll be playing around with the settings. But not wanting to
    >>>give
    >>>up ultra quality. Monitor is limited to 1280x1024.
    >>>McG.
    >>>
    >>Seems that either AGP or the Operating-Sys is the bottleneck. I'm running
    >>Doom3 at 1600x1200 in ultra Quality on SuSE 9.3 x86_64 on an MSI K8N
    >>Diamond with 1024 MB Dualchannel-RAM and AMD64 3500+ Venice-Core using a
    >>MSI NX6600GT PCIE-Card with 128 MB RAM and my Framerates are between 54
    >>and
    >>60 FPS depending on which services run parallel in Background.
    >>So i guess your low FPS depend either on AGP or on M$.....
    >>
    >>Cya,
    >> Tom
    >>
    > The AGP bus is not the bottleneck, I get better 15% better framerates
    > running Doom 3 on Linux compared to Windows though. Maybe McG should try
    > a X64 version of Linux. I'm dual booting Fedora Core 4 myself right now.
    >
    > --
    > Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
    > that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
    >
    > Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    > www.inglostadt.com

    Redhat has a 5 disk set in Fedora for AMD 64, I'll go get it :)
    McG.

World Of Warcraft Video Games