Network sharing pc to xbox 360

scottyaus25

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hello,

I don't know much about computers, but am trying to share some PC media files with my xbox 360. Does the 360 need to be on my network, if so how? Or do I just use a network cable from my pc to xbox. Thanks for any help.

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
You need to be on the same internet network. There is a Media server or something similar on the 360 in the menus. You will know it when you see it as it will say something about sharing files, music, etc..

tpnp

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Yes, the 360 will have to be on your network (specifically, the same network your PC is on).

In regards to your "if so how" question: are you asking how to network them together, or are you asking how to file share once they are on the same network? I assume from your follow-up question "or do I just use a network cable from the pc to xbox" means you are asking how to network them together.

Basic wired-networking 101: purchase a router from your local retailer (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear). Also purchase two Cat5e Ethernet cables. Power up the router, then plug the ethernet cables into your PC and XBOX. Assuming both devices are running DHCP (by default they should be), then they are on the same network and can "talk" to each other.

I haven't worked on a XBOX before, so I don't know if this is possible or not: there is a way to connect a cable directly between the two (at least, physically it's possible). You have to have a cross-over cable and have the capabilities of assigning a static IP to the XBOX (that's the part I'm unsure of). If you can't assign a static IP to your XBOX, then a cross-over cable will not work.