Black screen, no explorer just My Computer.

battousaik

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello there.

Today, after I left my computer running through the night, my pc booted into a black screen only with My Computer centred in the middle for some reason. Explorer.exe did not attempt to run at all, I tried to force it through Task Manager, but typing in ‘explorer.exe’ in Task Manager’s ‘New Task (Run…)’ only causes My Computer to open up instead (My Computer as in the window that lets me access my local hard drives, etc…).

I’ve tried the registry shell fix – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon – thing, it didn’t work.

In Task Manager all the system and other processes seem to be running, but not all user processes are. I have 2 ‘rundll32.exe’ running under user processes which I didn’t notice before and seems unusual. I managed to complete a full scan with BitDefender 2010, but that didn’t help.

Searching the net for this problem keeps giving me the solution to run explorer.exe through task manager which doesn’t work. I can run any other program as normal, through task manager or normally executing it.

I installed a program, Emerge Desktop I think it was called, that apparently changed window’s shell or something. That might be the problem.

Thanks.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64