chipsets

G

Im waiting for the ddr mobos to reach the market.Now you hear of slower video performance with the 686b southbridge.I want a board that supports ata100,ddr and i dont want to pay for extra for raid or sound,is it out there?

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes- the IWill KA266. I have that board and it's incredibly easy to overclock with and it's very stable. It uses the ALi Magik chipset. Supports PC2100 RAM with 3 dimm slots. I saw it available somewhere for $147

-MP JEsse

G

The iwill mobo looks good but there is the incompatability problem with ati video cards,a revision is expected.What video card works with this mobo?

mpjesse

Splendid
I've never heard of a video card incompatibility. I'm running it with a GeForce 2 MX. There is a BIOS revision available though- I haven't used it yet though.

-MP Jesse

G

Maximumpc reports that the ka266-r exhibits a lack of support for ati video cards.It fared a tie with the amd-760 reference box and got a 9 grading ,thats up there with the top tier of state of the art mobos.the ali magik chipset can support not only ddr but pc66/100 and pc133.I hope they put out a board that utilizes this capability.It would be nice to be able to swap in some cheap sdram if youre pricy ddr ever went south.