[Gaming] Not happy with pc performance

simso

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,

my has always performed great and still performs great but when looking at the fps in many games espeically compared to benchmarks or buddies I'm not happy with it. I'm trying to find out what's the problem. My system:

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD
2x2048MB G.Skill ECO Series DDR3-1600 CL7
Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ
530W be quiet! Pure Power L7
Asus ENGTX570

I've just played the last mission in CoD: Black ops and was only getting about 45fps when flying around with the heli. Same for GTA IV I'm only getting around 40fps. This numbers aren't bad ofcourse but benchmarks with my GPU are much different, highest numbers I've seen over at GeForce.com getting 92fps for CoD. Also buddies with lower system are getting equal fps in some games. So I'd like to know what's the problem with my setup.

Edit: Everything at max and 1080p

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Your GPU should be pushing 91fps on COD black ops @ 1080p since thats the max you can get with that game.

I think soemthing is wrong with your system. My system has the following specs:

I7 980x OC to 4ghz
GTX 580 SLI
6 gig ram
Screen resolution 5760*1080

Now notiice while 580sli is a lot more powerfun then what you have its also running 3 times higer res and still managing 91fps in black ops everything maxed out 2x AA.

I think there should be no reason why your system cant hit 91 fps on black ops. My friends system featuring a 5870 gpu touches 91fps with 4xaa @ 1080p

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

For now, try to reinstall the graphics driver, also check for any new driver out, definitely better.

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
have to set the vsync on or off? on gives your better quality and off gives you better performace. please note setting it off in the game will not gain any performace if you have set the driver to trun it on all the time.

simso

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Ok completely deinstalling and reinstalling drivers, turning off VSync (also in driver since I can get more than 60fps in menu) and also only assigning 4cores to the game via TaskManager had no effect. Still around 45fps. The funny thing is it doesn't matter whether I have 16x AA which I used to have or going down to 4x AA. So I'm sure something must cause a bottleneck, but my CPU, RAM or MoBo aren't bad, are they? Would it help if I would provide 3D Mark Vantage scores?

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Can be your RAM, you have 4gb-win7 requires 2gb,the GPU has 1.2gb with it and will suck in more 1.1gb RAM from your main memory leaving you no headroom so there is a possible chance of bottleneck.To make sure you may try decreasing your virtual memory.

simso

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Always thought VRAM is a problem on x86 machines only. However, I've played Black Ops for about 10minutes and logged my GPU data using GPU-Z and processor and RAM using Taskmanager. GPU Load is never higher than 50%, same for VRAM. RAM was at about 3GB (75%) and only two cpu cores were really working (about 80% on both), the other cores were about 30%. So overall it seems to me my system has the power but just doesn't use it. I wouldn't care if there weren't some annoying fps drops below 24fps.

Edit: @13thmonkey: Don't really get what you mean, game is listed in Programs.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
You wanna try backing up your stuff, formating the system and reinstalling windows? sometimes systems just get bugged and its best making a fresh install. I do have a feeling the 530watt powersupply on your system might be a reason though i am not quite sure.

edit: that cpu under load can consume upto 230 watts of power though thats with all 6 cores at 100%, GTX 570 requires about 300watts of power under load, you guys think this could be an issue?

simso

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Thank you guys so far, will install windows on another hdd soon. I'm also not sure about the PSU but it should be ok, near to the limit though. Anyway doesn't the system just reboot when there's too much power consumption?

Edit: Will then rather try to get a better PSU soon.

Have a look using MSI afterburner, its a re-skinned rivatuner, but will show you in real time whats going on. I'm finding a few games that are not maxing out cpu or gpu and are sitting steady at 60fps with or without vsync.

simso

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Ok have just installed Afterburner and ran a 3D Mark 11 benchmark. This pushes GPU Load up to 98% so my card really seems to be fine and can go to the max and something is just preventing it in games that don't need so much power. How to remove this block is another question I'll ask in the graphics forum. Thanks so far, problem solved!

TRENDING THREADS