dual processors vs. ...

G

I don't know much about hardware, so here I am. The use: running visual studio 6.0 for progamming, Macromedia suite for web design, and MS Office for general apps. Would it be better to build a system with the A7v133, or get a board with dual processor capabilities?

G

I'm thinking about doing the same. Running two processors. Facts needed. Some advantages are:

No.1 a stable system that can take a heavy load. Like an V8 will not go much faster than a 4 cylinder, but, if you are towing a yacht it makes a big difference.

No.2 Ultimate room for upgrades...

Love to get my hands in an Abit VP6 dual MB with a PIII 700mhz processor (until I can afford $$$ another). I read in a ZDnet Article, you could change the bios to accomidate for that. Some one please confirm...

I would love to do the dual AMD thing. Chips are easier to come by... But, I heard they will not come out with dual processing capabilities until 2nd quarter.

Also does any one know of any other dual MB's in the same price range as the Abit?

G

Hi,

I think it really depends on whether your applications (and OS of course) are written to take advantage of multiple CPUs. Otherwise the gain you get may be limited to the system being able to do other things on the 2nd CPU while your main app is running (i.e. an improvement in multitasking rather than out-and-out faster processing for your app)

It would be nice to get some input from people with multi cpu systems, as I'm just theorising :smile:

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

G

Ok so after this weekend I will be "Experienced"... Today I went and got the Abit VP6... It look pretty cool sitt'in in this new case...

I still need to get a processor (damn AMD for not supporting SMP, yet) I'm thinking of getting a PIII 667. Like I said b4 on day I'll get the match

But that is a come up, from what I had... Hope your listening... above

Who else will take the dual processor challange... Do I smell chicken nuggets?

G

excellent :cool: - let us all know how it goes

...yeah I think there are quite a few people waiting for dual athlon styli :smile:

HTH

G

OK...
System up and running at a fasssst pace.

Nothing against AMD but, me and my buddy think it responds much faster than his AMD 700 t-bird. What did I get, You're wondering...?

Abit's VP6 w/one PIII Coppermine 667mhz CPU...
with SB live, ASUS 7100 GeForce Video card and a ton of fans. Running Win2k, until I get my head aroung Linux

One day I will get the other processor...

I do wish AMD currently did the dual thing to cut down on cost... For all you diehard AMD'ers be carefull getting the 1st generation anything.

G

nice :smile:

Be interesting to do some tests on interactive response and throughput...is the AMD system a recent fresh install, or has it been in use for some time? That might have some bearing on the results.

Hopefully you'll win the lotto and go and buy the other CPU soon...I'd like to see some real figures on the gains - esp in Quake3 and Photohop.

HTH

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Buy two PIII 700's at the same time (so you'll get the same stepping), set the voltage at 1.75v, and overclock them to 933 by raising the system bus to 133

Suicide is painless...........

G

i decided 2 wait and get an asus board im in the process of building my new toy heres the specs...
Asus cuv4x - d Dual FC-PGA Socket Based Mainboard
Acer/AOpen branded full-tower ATX case. Model HX08 or
Supermicro SC760-A ATX server tower 400w
Global WIN 12x12cm CAF12 high-performance dual ball bearing case fan, 3-pin, 64 CFM
Hollywood Plus Sigma Designs REALmagic EM8300 DVD-ROM Hardware Decoder Cards/Adapters
Aopen 16X DVD-ROM / 40X CD-ROM EIDE Internal DVD Player , Retail box Regular
FC-PGA Coppermine Intel Pentium III 800E Microprocessors/CPUs
Socket 370 x 2
Golden orb by FC0370-2 Thermaltake CPU coolers
seagate Barracuda ATA III 20 GB UltraATA/100 7200 rpm
PC133MHz 256MB 168-pin computer system memory modules, SDRAM DIMM,1 stick
Logitech Cordless Freedom Navigator Keyboard and Wheel Mouse
nec monitor 17
ATI RADEON 64 MB Video Card, Fast 3D Graphics & DVD Playback with tv out
and video card cooling fan
sb live platinum 5.1 the one with remote

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NOTE TO ALL PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT DUAL BOARDS

Creative Labs (SoundBlaster) drivers DO NOT WORK on dual processor systems 90% of the time. So if your thinking about another cpu later don't buy an SBLive now.

Diamond and Hercules both make comparable products to the SB Live series that do work 'tho.

Just thought I'd warn you since I see some SB Live cards in your SMP dream systems,
- JW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 02/13/01 01:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your thinking about overclocking get two 700E's and push them to 933. If your not overclocking, you can get much better performance out of an 866EB than an 800E (for that matter, you can even get better performance out of the 800EB than the 800E, because of the higher bus speed). The 800E is not a good choice for performance (because of it's 100MHz bus) or overclocking (because of it's high multiplier, most won't go to 133 bus).
Crucial makes the highest quality reasonably priced memory. And Cas2 only cost a couple dollars more than Cas3 from them.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanx for the heads up, on the SB live. Unfortunatly I already got one. I'll hope to be in the 10% catagory.

The reason I considered a dual system was scalablity, and upgrade ability. Not to play games (quake 3) or use photoshop better. If it is Numbers you are looking for, there is a good article in this guide http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010201/index.htm its pretty good.

I want to hear from those whole have experience with thier Dual processor systems... like the guy above with useful advice...

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Running a Tyan Tiger 133 Dual Slot 1 (S1834d) here and it runs great. Didn't have any problems with setup at all. Box has yet to crash, or have any application errors (in fact, this is the first system I could EVER say that about). System has been up and running for 88 days straight without a power down.

It is configured as follows:
Windows NT 4.0 under Microsoft Small Business Server v4.5
S1834D Motherboard
Matched Pair, Slot 1 CPU's Intel 866/133 Boxed
512MB = Corsair 256MB PC133 (CAS2) RAM - (CM654S256A-133C2)
ATI Rage 128 Pro
2 Each - DFE-530TX 10/100 Network Cards from D-Link
Creative Labs Modem Blaster
Promise Ultra100 Controller
Creative Labs - AWE32 PNP (In the ISA slot)
Microsoft Internet Pro Keyboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Pro
Acer 56x CD-ROM
AOpen CRW-1232 12x10x32x CD-RW Drive
AOpen 1640Pro DVD Drive
Two - IBM DeskStar 75GXP, 7200RPM, ATA-100 Drives - 45GB
Iomega Internal 250MB IDE ZIP Drive
Teac Floppy
Enermax EG-451-V Power Supply
Fits great in it's InWin S500 Mid-Tower

Will be powering her down to change out the Ultra100 card for a Promise Ultra1000 Raid, and to move everything into a Q500 case (to support the additional Hard drives) next week. Will also be trying out Windows 2000 Pro.

Wish me luck!

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/14/01 10:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>