Enough power to support my monitor ?

G

I just bought a new computer with a 300W power supply on a full tower case. The 19" monitor has its own individual power plug which I can use. But there's also the option of drawing the power from the computer's 300W power supply. Will my computer power supply be able to supply enough power to this 19" monitor if it has the following parts in it ?

Athlon TB 1.2 Ghz
Asus A7V
256 MB RAM
45GB HDD
16x DVD ROM
8x4x4 CDRW
1.44MB FDD
32MB GeForce 2 MX card
Creative SB Live! Value
Two (2) network cards.
Keyboard & Mouse both using PS/2 ports
Canon Scanner (the very thin and light one)

Thanks

G

Hi,

I think the only way to find out is:

1. Do the maths (work out the drain of the juicy bits i.e. monitor, CPU, HD, etc, vs. what the PSU can provide), OR
2. Just plug it in

I'm not a PSU expert, but I would hope that when a PSU is overloaded it will shutdown rather than explode or be permanently damaged (any comments dudes?). Do pass-troughs reallly just "pass through" without altering the operation of the PSU?

Personally, I wouldn't plug the monitor in, as a 19" is likely to draw a fair amount of juice, especially when it powers on. Then again, I've just had my house re-wired and I've got sockets everwhere, so power points ain't a problem... :smile:

I have a Mitsubishi DiamondPro 900u 19" (lubberly it is :cool: ), and it goes into powersave mode when there is no signal from the PC (i.e. when its off), so there's no need to turn off the power to it.

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

G

The power supply connector for the monitor is just a pass through. Take the monitor I am using for example. It is a 17" monitor that draws 1.6A. To find out the power it draws we use the equation P=I*E. P is power in Watts. I is Amps. E is Volts. So 1.6 Amps * 120 Volts = 192Watts. That is 2/3 of your power supply. Since we all know that systems can't run off of 106 Watts, we know that it is not drawing power from the supply but is a pass through only. Also, the monitor uses 120V of AC current. The computer's power supply converts that into low voltage DC current. The monitor MUST have AC current because it has transfomers inside that require AC current to produce the high voltage used in the CRT.