gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have a Asus P2B (100mhzFSB) and am looking to upgrade my CPU (currently a P3 450).
What is the highest speed chip that I can get for it? I have seen 1GIG chips (running at 100mhz FSB) will these be compatible?

Also what is the difference between SECC-2 and FCPGA?

THX

Gareth

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The thing you must watch when upgrading this board is the core voltage requirement of the CPU. My bro had a P2B and I got him a P3 700. Thing is the 700 is the new coppermine core, and the P2B was designed for the older Katmai core. If you can still find Katmai's, they go up to P3 600. My bro's board couldn't support the 1.65V needed by the Coppermine because it was hardware rev 1.02. According to Asus's page, the 1.12 rev can support coppermine. You may also be able to get a slocket adapter with its own voltage regulator. Good luck.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on the revision number you have. I had a P2B (just died :*-( ), but it was an early revision and it would not support a slot-based coppermine.

If you use a slot-based chip, then you would need to have revision 1.12 or later to support Coppermine voltage. The P2B multipliers go only up to 8.0X but since these chips are now multiplier locked, that shouldn't be an issue (though, I thought the 850 was the max on 100 MHz bus speed). If you go to a FCPGA (Flip-chip pin grid array)Pentium III, you would need a Slocket adapter (make sure it supports voltage changes like Abit Sloket III). If it supports voltage changes, then the revision of the P2B is not an issue anymore since the adapter would control voltages.

As for you question on differences in SECC-2 and FCPGA. The SECC-2 (Single Edge Contact Cartridge) is that the processor is held in that black cartridge that you slide into the slot on the P2B. The FCPGA is similar to the old Pentium/486 chips. A flat chip with 370 pins on the bottom that plugs into a socket and is lays flat.