jayjames

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
i have just done a big upgrade from my old opty 170,
I now have a I5 760
Msi gd-80 M/B
4gig patriot ram
GTX 470
me and my mate have similar monitors but his pc is slightly less specced but he gets no screen tear what so ever,(testing on cod4 atm but it does it on every game), its gorgeous to play and he doesn`t have v-sync on and he gets a lovley 125 fps with all his nvp setting on default.
when i compare his to my better machine , mine is terrible ,screen tearing all the time i move the mouse,
with v-sync on it goes a bit but not much , still awful ,
i have so far swapped monitors and put my old 8800gts in and the problem is still there.
so i have ruled out the monitor and the graphics card so far, i`m gonna keep swapping stuff out till i get to the bottom of this.... its ruining my life!!

any one got any ideas ??

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Screen tearing occurs when the refresh rates do not match up on your monitor and what is being output.

Forcing v-sync with the GTX 470 through the Nvidia Control Panel will ensure that screen tearing does not occur.

jayjames

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
it still does it with v-sync on, not as much but still does it.
Why doesn`t my friends similar pc do it then???

:)

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Your "faster" computer can be trying to render more frames than the game fps setting is allocated to so your seeing "tearing" because your computer has to interpret the correct frames at the correct times.

Try setting your ingame to a higher FPS cap and see if it happens. Or your monitors could be running different refresh rates. 60hz, 75hz, 120hz makes a huge difference.

jayjames

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
my friends computer runs cod 4 at 200 fps his refresh rate is on 60hz but he does not have v-sync on. His system runs it perfectly smooth, not one little bit of tearing, plus mine is not that much quicker.

and i get tearing on all games even with v-sync on!

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Since you are not giving us any hardware specs to go by, all I can say that if you are using the same type of monitor, than it has to be in your video card display settings. If you are using different monitors, it could be that one is better than the other.

Try swapping monitors and see if it still happens. If it does, then it is not the monitors.

If you both have ATI cards, set your CCC settings identical. Same thing with nVidia cards in your settings. I know that ATI cards have frame sync and the catalyst AI which helps with tearing. Not sure about nVidia cards but they should as well. Most likely its in your settings. Just need to fiddle with them or see what your friend has set and mirror him.