Games run terrible

empier1988

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Computer was reformatted...all drivers are up to date and all these games ran perfect before. The only change was the addition of a second internal hd that was formatted and empty. All the games (bad company 2, Black Ops) run fine for the most part except starcraft 2. I ran the game on all high setting on 1680x1050 before with no stuttering at all. Ive tried turning down the graphics to no avail. I cant minimize or the screen goes black for like 5 minutes.

Here are my specs

intel i5 760
4 gb ddr3
nvidia gtx260 core 216
Asus P7P55D-E LX

empier1988

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Im not sure how your answer is helpful. As stated the game is a fresh install and all drivers/game patches have been installed. If you are implying I should reinstall...I have already tried that. COuld my issue be related to the extra drive i hooked up?

Check around and see if Starcraft has any issues with the driver revision you are using. Cold be your old setup had an older driver, when you re-installed, you got a newer driver that has compatability issues.

If the drive you installed is a secodary, unplug it and see if things are back to normal. Since the only game with issues is Starcraft 2, the issue is both easy and hard, easy because we already know where the problem is, but harder because an overall system slowdown is easier to figure out.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
have u installed any new applications or services (anti-virus, web servers {.NET, Apache}, database server {MySQL, MSSQL})
unplug the HDD to verify that its not it (highly unlikely but you'll never know until you try)
check what processes are running in the background, you might have gotten a virus before you had a chance to install the anti-virus/ anti-spyware.
whats the temp of your computer?
these are just some ideas that might slow down your machine.

if you using win7 or vista go to the motherboard manufacturers site and get the cpu inf installer. Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V9.1.1.1020 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)

http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=DfyAB26HiDpiiu8f

then make sure your direct x is up to date.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForCategory.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=2

get DirectX End-User Runtime and DirectX Redist (June 2010)

then get all the vc redist 2005/2008 and 2010
get both x86 and 64bit if you run 64bit o.s.
i would link these but theres about 8 of em
and lastly make sure your .netframework is up to date.

1s all are installed reboot and retry your games. even if this doesnt help (it should) at least you know you have gone a long way to increase overall system compatability.