jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Im building a new machine that I have all the parts for. Its a ASUS a7v motherboard with KT133Via Apollo. After intsalling all the parts. I can not get windows to install.
SUWIN caused Segement load failure in module user.exe at 019:039B
setup cannot copy the installation files to your computer. click ok to exit setup Message su0325
can anyone lead me in the right direction of what to do.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What version of Windows? Try WinMe.
Also, after you format, only put in the video card, leave all the other cards out. Then put in windows and after you get it running and the video card drivers in, then start putting in cards and drivers one card at a time.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

G

Try putting the cdrom on the secondary ide controllers and your hard drive on the primary ide controllers. Don't attach anything to the ata100 controller. Then try to install Windows. If Windows installs successfully, then put the drive back on to the ata100 controller and you should be all set.

G

Try to disable in the BIOS the check for Virus. Otherwise more information would be necessary (which Winversion, which hardware).
Hope this helps.

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Your telling me to put the cdrom drives on the secondary ide controller. I have everything on the primary and secondars ide slots. I do not have anything on the ATA100 channels. I have tried to install windows98se and winme

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What he is saying is leave your harddrive on the primary IDE then move the CD-rom to the secondary IDE and u have to set them both as “master” not slave. Once u get windows installed and all the drivers for your mother board (bios 1005c, via’s 4 in 1 and promise’s ata 100 drivers) then move the hard drive to the primary ATA 100 and the CD-rom back to the primary IDE.
Good luck

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The parts I have for this machine. Is a IBM Deskstar hard drive ata/100. A ricoh dvd/cdrw/cd, a radeon/raedon graphics card. An Asus a7v jumper free pc133/vc133 socket a motherboard. pc133 ram. I have tried to install windows me windows 98 second se windows nt 4. and while trying to intsall the os to the hard disk. It crashes on me during the install.

G

Put the cdroms on the secondary IDE controller. I had similar problems when I had the cdroms on the primary ide controller. Windows could not read the cd most of the time.

If you rtfm, you will notice that it specifically recommends that the cdroms be put on the secondary ide controllers.

When you are first installing Windows, put the hard drives on the primary ide controller and not the ata100 controller. Then the Windows install should go smoothly.

Once Windows has installed successfully, you can now put the hard drives back on the ata100 controller for added performance (if your drive supports ata100).

Also put on the latest bios (1005c or d) and put on the latest Promise drivers. I am using build 33.

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I tried that also. Im still getting failures. I havent download the latest drivers from the Asus site. But i have tried changing the placement of the harddrive and cdrom. I still get the error of
(1)SUWIN caused Segment load failure USER.EXE at 0019:039b
(2)Standard mode: Fault oustide of MS-DOS extender
EC=9FA4 etc...
(2) Setup(.CAB) File Error
Setup has encountered an error while extractin the windows file to your comptuer. To resolve this issue, you may need to boot off the emergency boot disk and run setup again.
(3)Application Error
SuWin caused General Protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:31D6

These are the errors im getting now. I have ruled out other devices im only using the ones that I need to get the machine to boot and install the OS to the machine. Im wonderding if its some type of hardware failure. How would I know its the motherboard or graphics card or some other device????

The last thing I can think of and was advised her was getting another updated bios for an ASUS A7V socket A motherboard. Where can I find a good update for the bios and how do i go about the installation.

G

THe "setup (.CAB) File Error" was the error I was getting when I put the cdrom on the primary IDE controller. This is not the ata100 controller but the IDE controllers of which there are 2 on the a7v. When I rtfm, I noticed they mention putting the cdroms on the secondary IDE controllers. I did that and my Windows setup problems went away. For more information look in the manual on p. 36 item #9 first paragraph.

For drivers you can try:

ftp ftp.asus.com.tw and directory /pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133/a7v

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I believe I already have the cdrom(s) on the non ultra ata/100 secondary IDE controller. Iam still getting the same errors. If your talking about putting it on the ata100 secondary ide controller then I haven't tried that as of yet.
How can you tell that its some type of hard ware conflict.

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I will have to try again putting the cdrom on the secondary again. I believe I have tried that before. I still have to try updating the bios with the 1005c upgrade and see if that makes any kind of difference.

G

I had the same exact problems with a a7v duron and a a7v133thunderbird system on the duron sys after about 15 formats and reinstalls it finaly took but the 1 gig tbird after i shut off jen=jumper free mode and used the dip switches manualy that seemed to do the trick and now im running 98 and 2k dual boot both no prob hope this helps. ps i think there is something seriously rong with this mother bord and gineric dos/windows defalt driver support but once you get the 4in1 agp etc installed stand back

G

When you are booting up you will see the irq assignments on the pci bus. Make sure there aren't conflicts i.e. devices sharing irq's. If there are things you can do are:

a) disable serial ports if you are not using them.
b) disable parallel port if you are not using it.
c) disable irq for usb if you are not using it.

The following slots share irqs, so don't have devices in both slots or both devices enabled:

a) agp and pci slot1
b) slot 2 and Promise ata100 controller.
c) PCI slot 3 and onboard AMR.
d) PCI slot 4, PCI slot 5 and USB controller.

rtfm section 3.7.2

So you see right away that you can't have agp and a device using irq in PCI slot 1 because you will have conflict.

Same with PCI slot 2 if you enable the Promise ata100 controller.

Or devices using irqs in PCI slots 4 & 5. Or usb and slot 4 or 5.

Once you have irqs straightened out try your procedure again. You may want to select "Reset Configuration Data" from the Boot Menu screen in the bios before proceeding.

If it still doesn't work then it could be the following:

a) cpu problem - maybe poor fan?
b) bad memory
c) m/b problem
d) device problem i.e. disk, cdrom, expansion board, k/b, etc.

If you have a friend with a PC using an AMD board you can eliminate a, b, d. THen that leaves just c.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
First things first.
Obtain the 1005d BIOS update from the Asus Germany Web Site.
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_KT133/A7V/

Then obtain the latest ULTRA100 drivers.
http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=misc/ide/v160b33.zip

Place your IBM on the END of the 80-Pin IDE cable, and plug the other end into the Primary ULTRA100 port. (make sure the blue end is on the motherboard connector!)

Set your CD-ROM drive as the Master on the SECONDARY regular IDE connector using the 40-Pin cable.

Boot using your boot floppy disk and flash the BIOS.

REBOOT
Hit DEL and enter BIOS.
Have all disk devices set to AUTO. Don't worry about NOT seeing your hard disk, you shouldn't. You should hit ENTER on your SECONDARY IDE MASTER and then see your CD-ROM drive.

Disable BOOT VIRUS DETECTION and DISABLE PLUG & PLAY OS!

REBOOT onto Boot floppy WITH CD-ROM support.
During boot, you should see your drive recognized by the ULTRA100 BIOS. (after initial bios loads)

Run FDISK from boot floppy.

You should now be able to see your IBM hard drive and be able to setup your primary partition.

Once setup and set to active, REBOOT again one more time onto your Boot Floppy disk with CD-ROM support enabled.

DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE! Let setup do that!

Run Windows SE setup (don't use Windows ME, it runs 30% slower than Windows 98!)

During install of Windows SE, DON'T FORGET TO IMMEDIATELY LOAD your new downloaded ULTRA100 Drivers!

Remove the floppy and then do a shutdown (NOT A RESTART!)

You should now be able to reboot onto your hard disk.

Good Luck
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well what i tried yesterday was to upgrade the bios from the older version to a newer version of the bios. I used the 1005c bios from the asus site and flashed it.

"You have flashed the eprom; it is recommended that you turn off the power, enter setup and load setup deafults to have cmos updated with new bios"

No i can't even get the computer to boot up at all!!! So I'm F@#$%& andy suggestions about what i should do or go from here.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
What are your "beeps"?

Please identify all hardware in the unit and identify what cards are in what slots.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/14/01 09:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Im not getting any beeps at all. I read your post too late or that would be the procedure i would have taken. But im not getting any beeps at all. When i power up i just hear the the fans to start spinning then nothing else after that. No display no nothing. Just won't boot at all after changing the bios.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Okay, here's what you do.

First.. This is tricky, so be very careful.

1) UNPLUG YOUR POWER CORD!

In the top right hand corner of the board you will find your CR2032 Battery. Just above it (top right hand corner of battery holder) you will see a capacitor. Just under that you will see two solder points. Bridge them for 2 seconds.

This will clear your CMOS.

Then plug your power cord back in and try again.

Good luck.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Okay this sounds interesting and is of course all new to me in this learning experience. I see where the "cr2032" is in my manual and above that in the diagram shows the "clrtc" and "3vsbslt". What do you mean by bridging them??? I won't be able to try this until the end of the business day.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
No... when I say, "just above" I mean the solder points are right (DIRECTLY) next to the battery holder. By bridging them, I mean, you take a screwdriver and touch the two solder points together. DO NOT HOLD THEM TOGETHER FOR LONGER THAN 2 SECONDS OR YOU COULD DAMAGE THE BOARD!

If you can see it clearly, the solder points are marked with a label saying, "clear cmos" and "CLRTC".

These are NOT connectors, they are just solder points on the motherboard.

DO NOT BRIDGE ANY OTHER CONNECTIONS.

Good Luck!

Steve<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stable on 02/14/01 10:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Okay I will definitley try that. That will clear the CMOS; will the updated bios still be on there or will it be the older version or none at all if im sucessful with clearing the cmos.

thank you for your help steve
jd

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well after going home last night. i saw what you were talking about clearly marked on the board about the cmos. But i don't see what you mean about touching the two points together to reset the cmos. Did you mean to touch both at the same time with the screwdriver or physically have the two solder points touch each other. If so im not sure how to go about that. This is way beyone my expectation of getting a machine up and running.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Just remember the word "bridge" you are using the end of the screwdriver (non-magnetic, regular tip) to breifly join the to soldering points together. REMEMBER TO HAVE THAT POWER CORD DISCONNECTED!

Good Luck
Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'