System crashes

G

My son and I just built a new system using: Abit KT7-Raid mobo, 900MHz Thunderbird, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64MB, SoundBlaster 128 PCI, internal modem, Win 98SE. Had problems getting the video card working - kept getting Windows Protection error unless video set to only 16 colors. Downloaded updated VIA chip from Via Tech drivers (4 in 1, including AGP) and after installing the updated drivers, still got "Windows Protection Error - reboot PC" message. Finally after about the fourth install of the update via drivers, the video card finally worked properly. However, the system completely freezes/locks up (even ctrl-alt-del does not work - have to use case power button) after my son plays a game for a while. For example, when playing MS Flight Simulator, game plays ok for a while, then all of a sudden it exits by itself to the desktop and system locks up. When playing Delta Force can complete one mission and then upon selecting another mission and pressing "enter" the system freezes up. The system locked up during installation of Armored Fist 3. Is the video card causing the problem (I am planning on updating the video driver)? What else could it be? Thanks for any and all help.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Definitely try and find some updated drivers for the ATI video card, for one. You can probably find them on their web site.
Plus, a number of people have said that you need to apply the VIA 4 in 1 drivers a few times before they finally work right.
The other thing you might try is to go into your BIOS, and where it says System Speed (I think), it will have a setting of Optimal or Normal. Set it to Normal.

For other ideas, try http://www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm
it has a lot of ideas on how to solve issues with this motherboard.

Hope this helps.