A7V Bios Setup

G

I have a A7V MB and 1000MHZ Athlon CPU along with Value Ram 256MB PC133 DIMM. When you go into the ADVANCED MENU of the Bios, I have set the CPU Frequency to 100MHz and the DRAM Frequency to 133 MHz. I believe the CPU setting is right but I'm not sure that the Dram setting is right. Can anyone help me with this.

Thank you Dilled

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dilled on 02/09/01 06:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You didn't really state you problem. But, if you have PC133 ram then set the timing to 133MHz. It sounds like you did this. If you are having a problem or if your system keeps restarting or resetting you timing to PC100 then it is because the ram you have is of very low quality, probably generic.
Try replacing the ram with a different brand.

-Gimme oysters and beer for dinner everyday of the year and I'll feel fine.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure it does autodetect. But then again, it may also set it to 100MHz by default. If you set it to 133 and then put in PC100 ram it will switch to 100 automatically. But I don't know if it will automatically change it up to 133 if you have it at 100 and put in a stick of PC133.
He should first try using the jumperless settings with the dip switches all off and not mess with the multiplier.

But since he wasn't real clear on his problem, I'm betting that he is trying to use crappy ram in his system and it won't do 133MHz. I have seen several cases where friends have tried to put in generic PC133 ram and it would only work at 100MHz timing.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. I seem to recall that those auto configuration options are determined by reading information off the DIMMS not by testing the memory. It's stored in small bit of nonvolatile memory or ROM on the DIMM. I think it called SPD. Generic memory might have the wrong information stored.

Anyone planning to build an Athlon system should read the configuration guides and FAQ's at AMD. The latter explains the problems of mixing memory types, brands, and use of generic memory.

Here is a link to the FAQ.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/quick_ref_faq.pdf

G

The problem is that when the computer is shut down abnormally it boots back up with a 100MHz setting for DRAM Frequency. Other than that it retains the 133 MHz setting.

G

If you haven't already done it, update the BIOS. Go up to ASUS's web site and download the newest BIOS. This should correct any problems you may still be having. The newest BIOS is version 1007. This version adds additional features so you can change SDRAM speed. You will also need the AFlash utility to flash the BIOS. ASUS provides this utility free. Whenever you're having a strange problem such as what you mention, check your BIOS version. An updated BIOS can provided a world of difference.

G

The current BIOS on a A7V is 1005C released on 01-8-01.

My experience is that this BIOS will retain the PC-133 SDRAM settings after bootup, while earlier versions defaulted to 100MHZ.

Unclebob

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, this is really amazing.
For the record, the latest bios for the Asus A7V is 1005D which can be obtained from several sites including the Asus homepage and www.amdzone.com.

If the computer shuts down abnormally, then the bios resets the timing to 100MHz as a precaution. Just go in and put it back to 133.
If you put it to 133 and it won't work properly and it keeps going back to 100 then it is due to poor quality ram.

G

Hi Bubba,

First off, I went to the ASUS home page, but the only BIOS available was ver. 1005C. Then I went to the Amdzone.com and got the latest "update". Funny how another source would have the latest BIOS but not ASUS itself. At any rate, I haven't yet flashed it in as yet. But thanks for the URL.

Getting back to earlier versions of the A7V BIOS not recognizing PC133 DRAM, I still stand by my own experience.

I currently have 2 sticks of what I believe to be good quality Micron 133MHZ, 256 SDRAM, and the previous BIOS would NOT detect it as a 133 MHZ SDRAM, but only at 100 MHZ. However, after I flashed in ver. 1005C is when it retained the PC133 setting on bootup.

Oh well, I'm one happy camper now.

Unclebob

G

The A7V does autodetect 133 SDRAM. I had originally 100's installed and switched to 133 SDRAM and the board automatically detected it.