Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I have four computers at home that I want to put XP Pro on I already have a copy (OEM XP Pro) but it is already installed on a system. I wanted to know do I have to buy a separate copy for each computer if I want to use it on all of them or can I use a single copy for all four. I really cant afford to buy a copy for each system. Is there any other way of doing it apart from buying a copy for each computer. The computers will only be used for home use (Games, Word Processing, Internet etc) and not for business. any help with this will be appreciated.

Thx

My Mum always said God has a plan, guess I was Plan B

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eula.mspx" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Microsoft Windows XP Professional END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (EULA)</A></b></font color=red>

>><b>• Installation and use</b>. <i>You may install, use, access, display and run </i><font color=blue><b>one copy of the Product on a single computer</font color=blue></b><i>, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop features described below, you may not use the Product to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other executable software residing on the Workstation Computer, nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display, or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless the Device has a separate license for the Product.

</i>

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
seen as I have the OEM version can I just call Microsoft and buy extra licences for each computer and just install with my original copy. if I can do it this way will it be cheaper than buying a copy for each pc.

My Mum always said God has a plan, guess I was Plan B

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Even if he did install it on a second PC, he will eventually be denied all OS functionality and prompted to Activate his copy of Windows XP Pro.

As far as purchasing more licenses go, you can give it a try. However, I think that your original purchase of WinXP Pro must be a multi-user agreement for that to be possible.

Anyone know otherwise?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The whole point of product activation is to prevent people from doing what you are going. Buy one legal copy and install it on more than one system.

1) You can either pay for three additional licenses and be legal.
2) Install illegal copys of XP on three machines.

If you don't like the options Microsoft gives you there is always.

3) Install linux on the other three systems.

I like 3. If linux likes your hardware, then its just as easy as XP to intall, surf, check email, light office work etc... And you will still have one PC for everything else.

XP Pro is my first choice but given a choice between 9x and Linux I chose linux.

but I know an easy way around the activation crap. ahh, regedit :lol:

+ windows update works like a charm :tongue:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you dont need to get around the reactivation crap. you can activate xp multiple times, i have reinstalled on 3 different computers and they all activate just fine. you can also call microsoft and tell them your having trouble getting your computer to work and you have activated the thing too many times and now it wont let you activate it, then the refresh your cd key on their data base.

this is my boomstick!